Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
I grew up in an urban area, not the suburbs and we had a mix of people, including a mix of socio-economic groups. We had quiet living, a community feel, and good schools. People seem to think that all 50 states are like Texas and it's not. There is not such a big divide between the cities and the burbs in other states.
No, I dont think the other 50 states are like Texas. I grew up in the LA area and lived in Chicago for two years and its was not much different in this regard (segregated inner cities and integrated suburbs). In both LA and Chicago there is a massive devide between burbs and inner cities in this regard.

I understand where youre coming from though. A huge reason why we choose to live where we do is because its so dang multicultural. I have neighbors from Ethiopia, Korea, Vietnam, China, Finland, and Spain. If I did live in Dallas, I would choose Bishop Arts because you do get a lot more ethnicity/race mixing there vs. Uptown.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 06-12-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM

110 posts, read 255,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
... and East Dallas area and it's quite rare that I would see more than one or two Hispanics or AA's.
And where at in East Dallas is this?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
Back to OP's questions, please.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 PM

110 posts, read 255,016 times
Sorry Southern - the other comment had me snickering a little.

But back to the OP's original question - you mentioned the difference in tolls between Dallas and Atlanta. If Atlanta only has one 50 cent toll road, I hate to say that DFW communiting is going to be a rude awakening. If you're going to be commuting on the toll roads often, get a Toll Tag.

If you don't, you'll receive a snail mail bill that you must immediately pay. Any monthly lapse in payment will result in a $40+ administrative fee tacked on for each month of non-payment, in addition to any additional tolls you may have accumulated. I was in Los Angeles for 3 months this fall and their first bill came while I was gone. Upon my return, it was not pretty.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 PM

291 posts, read 675,106 times
Not sure why you were snickering at my post. I responded to the OP's questions with what my experience as a non-Caucasian has been in the past 6 to 7 years.

Stick to the OP's topic. Use DM for personal communications.

Atlanta(midtown) moving to Uptown Dallas, lots of questions

Last edited by Willsson; 06-13-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 PM

55 posts, read 124,384 times
Dallas isn't bad... Only South Dallas is 'bad'.

My recommendation would be the design district for your budget of 1200. You should be able to find a nice 1 bedroom for around 1100 there and its only 1.5 to 2 miles from uptown. If you want to live in uptown, the cost will be around 1500 for a small 1 bedroom. Its around 1650 for something that is over 700 sq ft.

Plus Oaklawn/35E is an easy way to get to los Colinas. That's where I drive now. It takes about 18 minutes or less to work and under 30 on the way back. It's going against traffic off of 114 so its not bad.

Oh.. Dallas is a relatively diverse city. However, everything is kind of spread out. There are a lot of Hispanics, Blacks, and Whites. There is an okay amount of Asians for the south but they live in the burbs. So overall, sort of diverse considering it is the south..Maybe Houston is slightly more diverse but other than that, the only diverse non coastal city would probably be Chicago.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 PM

55 posts, read 124,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
No, I dont think the other 50 states are like Texas. I grew up in the LA area and lived in Chicago for two years and its was not much different in this regard (segregated inner cities and integrated suburbs). In both LA and Chicago there is a massive devide between burbs and inner cities in this regard.

I understand where youre coming from though. A huge reason why we choose to live where we do is because its so dang multicultural. I have neighbors from Ethiopia, Korea, Vietnam, China, Finland, and Spain. If I did live in Dallas, I would choose Bishop Arts because you do get a lot more ethnicity/race mixing there vs. Uptown.

Uptown is mainly whites. The Carrolton, Plano, etc. areas are much more diverse. However, Uptown is where the action is.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM

291 posts, read 675,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TidyAtac View Post
Uptown is mainly whites. The Carrolton, Plano, etc. areas are much more diverse. However, Uptown is where the action is.
'

Exactly what I said to OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas