Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:00 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

The use of the 'they' by the poster indicates that he/she is probably just passing through and is taking a 'shot' at our hometown. I was born at Baylor, have lived a couple of miles away nearly all my life, have made numerous visits for weeks at a time (also Presby) and I have never felt unsafe. Baylor will soon have a DART station and there is a huge development underway adjacent to that..20-30 years ago there was a housing project behind Baylor but that was bought by the hospital and torn down (Landry Center is there now). Also for better or worse (worse IMO) all of Deep Ellum is being bought up and an entire city block was torn down a couple of months ago. The thinking is that developers are trying to turn the area into a generic TOD. Yes there are some places around there which might have more crime than say, HP, but that is the price of living in 'the big city'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchinghohen View Post
We managed to make it one month and we escaped.
Wow, how brave. May I suggest Allen or Frisco?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchinghohen View Post
I do not think there is a safe place in Dallas. I have lived in a few different neighborhoods and work at Baylor. I can say with out question that it is bad down buy Baylor, Fair Park etc. They keep it hush hush but a lot of bad things happen to the workers here when they go to leave, day time and night time. They are building a lot of condos around here though. Perhaps they are trying to improve the neighborhood. We had tried to live very close to Presby over near Walnut Hill and it was a horrible neighboorhood! We managed to make it one month and we escaped. Heard gun shots all the time! Now we are closer to Preston and Park so its better, but still things happen. A lady was beat up and robbed in our gated apartment complex the other day. You just have to be careful and trust no one! I may seem rude but I never stop when someone asks for something, i.e, directions, help etc.
BOO!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:07 PM

106 posts, read 284,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The southern parts of Oak Cliff haven't been good since the 1950s. Kessler Park and North Oak Cliff are nice.

The part of East Dallas around Fair Park and between Baylor Hospital and I-30 are not nice, like around Carroll Avenue. (Yes, there are lovely historic homes in that area, too.) East Dallas on Gaston Avenue once you pass Lakewood but before you get to Baylor can also be scary.

Some parts of Northwest Dallas (on the west side of Love Field) are also pretty rough.
She hit the nail on the head. Oak cliff is a very contrastual area, it goes from uber-wealthy in the northern/Kessler Park area to very poor and crime-ridden in the southern part. I grew up in and around the southern part, and I retreated back to the northern part where I was born as soon as I could. Let me simplify this for you:

Don't go south of Jefferson, or West of Hampton.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:21 PM

93 posts, read 397,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0blue View Post
Don't go south of Jefferson, or West of Hampton.
There are still a quite a number of nice neighborhoods south of Jefferson and west of Hampton. Wynnewood North, Hampton Hills, Elmwood, Beckley Club, Ravinia Heights, Kessler Plaza, Stevens Park Village and more I'm sure.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:20 AM

8 posts, read 57,366 times
You guys are scaring me I am a single female. Thinking about moving to Dallas I have been down there several times. I prefer to move into a muti culture neighborhood rather than a all black or white neighborhood. I am from california and that is what I am accustome to . Tell me something about the Marsh street/lane area which is off I believe hwy 35 near mockingbird and farmers branch area. Is that a decent area?/

Old 01-01-2008, 08:58 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Marsh Lane is fine. Farmers Branch is an older suburb but it is nice.

I occasionally have to go down into Oak Cliff (to Westmoreland and Kiest) for my work. I just make sure I am gone by nightfall!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:05 PM

18 posts, read 76,859 times
Dallas is one of the most segregated cities I have been to its either mostly black, white or Hispanic. That is just a fact for the most part. There are exceptions but I did some hurricane disaster inspections in Florida a while back and it was a lot different there then here in the metroplex. I have lived here most of my life and just thought it was that way every where but was amazed how it wasn't in Florida and I worked several different cities. Orlando, Tampa and Daytona beach among others. its a lot different there.

You can tell the bad parts of town here when you go to a gas station and use a credit card you have to put in your zip code first and if you pay in cash the person taking your money is setting behind bullet proof glass. That is a pretty good sign you in a bad part of town. Its not that way on the good sides of town. Seems like discrimination to me.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar08 View Post
Dallas is one of the most segregated cities I have been to its either mostly black, white or Hispanic. That is just a fact for the most part. There are exceptions but I did some hurricane disaster inspections in Florida a while back and it was a lot different there then here in the metroplex. I have lived here most of my life and just thought it was that way every where but was amazed how it wasn't in Florida and I worked several different cities. Orlando, Tampa and Daytona beach among others. its a lot different there.

You can tell the bad parts of town here when you go to a gas station and use a credit card you have to put in your zip code first and if you pay in cash the person taking your money is setting behind bullet proof glass. That is a pretty good sign you in a bad part of town. Its not that way on the good sides of town. Seems like discrimination to me.
Dallas isn't any more segregated then any other city. ITs not race that divides as much as income, Oakcliff is a primarily Hispanic and Black neighborhood filled with relatively low income people, its not because of race. I'm sure I could find a similar situation in any large city to the same extent or even greater then that of Dallas.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,291 times
I-30 is an Interstate Highway....please be more specific as to where on I-30 you are talking about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas