Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM

80 posts, read 417,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post
I also remember when you could leave things in your car and not risk having the window busted open. Last night on the news there was a report stating that there is a rising number of people breaking into cars to steal things like Ipods, chargers, adaptors, and other misc. things.
That's been on the up for a while now. Around here, we have people that will park on the street, leaving a $2,000 LAPTOP sitting on the passenger seat and then will be confused when they come out to find it's been stolen.

Those TomTom/etc GPS units are HOT targets right now. They're expensive and a very easy resale for crackheads. Sadly, crack thugs will look for vehicles with the suction cup rings left on the windshields as targets. They know that people often just put the unit into the glove box.
iPods & other things left lying around are (unfortunately) just asking to get stolen by some worthless crackhead. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Uh...when was that? I can't remember a time in my lifetime when you could EVER leave valuables in plain sight in your car and people thought it was a good idea.
That makes sense. Why would petty thieves in the 1950's NOT try to steal something out of a car? I don't think that human nature and the criminal mind was any different 50 years ago.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:02 PM

57 posts, read 75,680 times
I just posted this on another thread, but I think some here might be interested in this.

Look at the "reported" crime datasets by the City of Dallas itself for 2007, it does not look very good....

Just take a look at the attached picture. The query was for "All Crimes" in Dallas from Jan 2007 to Oct 31 2007. You can search for whatever crime you want, burglary, murder, etc...The attached picture shows ALL CRIMES. Not a very good picture of Dallas.

Link here: http://maps.dallascityhall.com/index...ThematicMapRa=

Old 12-05-2007, 04:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Horrors, I shall run home, load a weapon and hide under my bed!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:52 PM

57 posts, read 75,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Horrors, I shall run home, load a weapon and hide under my bed!
No...but maybe we all should just be careful?!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM

100 posts, read 455,516 times
Well, the map just shows what most people already know. There is not one crime area in Dallas. The crime is through out; north to south and east to west. Wherever there are people there will be crime. Even in the suburbs. So everybody be careful.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:09 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Look at the "reported" crime datasets by the City of Dallas itself for 2007, it does not look very good....

Not a very good picture of Dallas.
No, it's a picture of what you would normally expect in a city the size of Dallas. Unless you believe that a normal situation would be for a city of 1.3 million to be crime free.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:58 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Wow, you can follow the White Rock creek real good in that map. Cool.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I just posted this on another thread, but I think some here might be interested in this.

Just take a look at the attached picture. The query was for "All Crimes" in Dallas from Jan 2007 to Oct 31 2007. You can search for whatever crime you want, burglary, murder, etc...The attached picture shows ALL CRIMES. Not a very good picture of Dallas.

Link here: http://maps.dallascityhall.com/index...ThematicMapRa=
The map as selected with "all crimes," which includes such commonplace occurances as car breakins and petty theft is misleading. Try just selecting murder, aggravated assault and robbery - individual, and you will see some very clear patterns emerge of where crime is more prevalent.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:44 PM

125 posts, read 213,042 times
Don't feel like the lone stranger, crime is up all over. I live in a rural area outside of Ft. Smith, Arkansas and we are having to lock our sheds and make sure that we are prepared for unwanted company at night.
I wear a stun gun whenever I leave the house and have access to a shotgun if needed.
I am not advocating taking the law into your own hands, but what are you going to do for the 3 to 5 minutes, ( if they get there that fast) that it takes the cops to get to you, let the mugger keep beating on you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas