Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWalkAlone View Post
Hello,

Is Dallas a pretty good place to live? In regards to;

The People

The Economy

The COL

The Commute

The Weather

The Food

The Women

The list isn't ordered in terms of importance, but I was trying to get a feel for what Dallas would be like and what are some of the differences and/or culture shocks a native Californian would experience? Thanks!
I'm from SoCal, too. We've lived in other states, and have been here about 7 months so far. Here's my take:
The People: Are very much like Californians, in that they are very concerned with clothes, cars, appearances, etc. There don't seem to be too many actual Texans in Dallas.

The COL: Surprisingly high, but not by California standards, I guess. If you want to own a home, property tax is outrageous (2-3%), and insurance and utilities are high here. If you want to live in a nice, safe area, you are going to pay for it. Even apartments aren't as cheap as you'd think they should be.

The Commute: Live near where you work, because the freeways get clogged.

The Weather: Haven't seen that much rain in the time we've been here. Lots of sunny, clear days. HOT summer. COLD winter (but no snow to deal with).

The Food: The chains are well represented, but there are plenty of good, locally-owned restaurants too. They are mad about tacos here! Mexican food (Tex Mex) is nothing like Californian Mexican food. Still haven't found anything that compares to a Rubio's fish taco.

Something else to make you feel at home: Earthquakes! They are starting to have earthquakes in areas outside Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Quote:
I was simply making the point that I enjoy a lot of rain and think it's refreshing. It seems like Dallas wouldn't be too far off from what I like. 135 sunny days per year certainly isn't as low as Seattle's 58, but it's lower than places like San Diego or Los Angeles.
Again, the TOTAL rainfall amouts are similar between Seattle and Dallas, but the number of rain events per year is dramatically different. If you like a lot of rain on a regular basis, Dallas isn't the place for you. Sorry.

30-year history of average rain events per month: (S= Seattle, D= Dallas)
Jan: 6.7 D, 18.2 S
Feb: 6.5 D, 14.7 S
Mar: 7.8 D, 16.9 S
Apr: 6.6 D, 14.3 S
May: 9.5 D, 12.0 S
Jun: 7.9 D, 9.1 S
July: 4.7 D, 5.0 S
Aug: 4.5 D, 4.8 S
Sept: 5.4 D, 7.9 S
Oct: 7.5 D, 13.1 S
Nov: 6.7 D, 18.4 S
Dec: 6.8 D, 17.6 S
TTL Year 80.2 D, 152.0 S

Source:
National Weather Service Climate

You also may enjoy these links:
Top 10 greatest rainfall events for Dallas, including 5+ inches on one day in 2010
NWS Ft. Worth
And the longest time between rainfalls, including an 84-day stretch between July-September 2000.
DFW - Consecutive Days Without Precipitation

Dallas gets more rain than San Diego, but in no possible way bears resemblence to the Pac NW climate. No way.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 PM

And if you want info on the Multi-year drought Texas- including the Dallas area- is in, read here: National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

"Highlights" include:
• Dallas area is deficient between 20-33 INCHES of rain over the last few years
• Dallas area is currently classified as moderate drought
• Dallas area lakes, such as Lavon, Ray Hubbard, Possom Kingdom, Grapevine, etc are up to 20 FEET under their conservation levels.

But yeah, it rains all the time here. Just like Seattle

Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,491 times
Quote:
I was simply making the point that I enjoy a lot of rain and think it's refreshing. It seems like Dallas wouldn't be too far off from what I like. 135 sunny days per year certainly isn't as low as Seattle's 58, but it's lower than places like San Diego or Los Angeles.
For reference San Diego averages 146 clear sun days and L.A. 147.

Annual Sunshine

Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM

30 posts, read 48,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I'm from SoCal, too. We've lived in other states, and have been here about 7 months so far. Here's my take:
The People: Are very much like Californians, in that they are very concerned with clothes, cars, appearances, etc. There don't seem to be too many actual Texans in Dallas.
I'm not FROM Socal, I'm from Norcal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Again, the TOTAL rainfall amouts are similar between Seattle and Dallas, but the number of rain events per year is dramatically different. If you like a lot of rain on a regular basis, Dallas isn't the place for you. Sorry.

30-year history of average rain events per month: (S= Seattle, D= Dallas)
Jan: 6.7 D, 18.2 S
Feb: 6.5 D, 14.7 S
Mar: 7.8 D, 16.9 S
Apr: 6.6 D, 14.3 S
May: 9.5 D, 12.0 S
Jun: 7.9 D, 9.1 S
July: 4.7 D, 5.0 S
Aug: 4.5 D, 4.8 S
Sept: 5.4 D, 7.9 S
Oct: 7.5 D, 13.1 S
Nov: 6.7 D, 18.4 S
Dec: 6.8 D, 17.6 S
TTL Year 80.2 D, 152.0 S

Source:
National Weather Service Climate

You also may enjoy these links:
Top 10 greatest rainfall events for Dallas, including 5+ inches on one day in 2010
NWS Ft. Worth
And the longest time between rainfalls, including an 84-day stretch between July-September 2000.
DFW - Consecutive Days Without Precipitation

Dallas gets more rain than San Diego, but in no possible way bears resemblence to the Pac NW climate. No way.
Dallas gets more rainfall per year, look it up please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
For reference San Diego averages 146 clear sun days and L.A. 147.

Annual Sunshine
So I was correct, the number of sunny days is lower in Dallas than in San Diego or Los Angeles.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Your reading comprehension skills are amazing......

Yes, Dallas gets more total inches of rain, but Seattle gets rain about twice as often as Dallas. Those two things are VERY, VERY different. Seattle is a wetter climate. Period.

I really don't know any other way to explain it.......

Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Your reading comprehension skills are amazing......

Yes, Dallas gets more total inches of rain, but Seattle gets rain about twice as often as Dallas. Those two things are VERY, VERY different. Seattle is a wetter climate. Period.

I really don't know any other way to explain it.......
Yes, my reading comprehension is just fine. I'm not going to refute this straw man, semantic argument that Seattle has more rain "events". I don't even know why that argument was even introduced. More rain will touch down in Dallas than in Seattle in any given year...that's my point. Thanks for replying everyone!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Yes, my reading comprehension is just fine. I'm not going to refute this straw man, semantic argument that Seattle has more rain "events". I don't even know why that argument was even introduced. More rain will touch down in Dallas than in Seattle in any given year...that's my point. Thanks for replying everyone!
OMG...are you seriously trying to argue about the weather in Dallas...with people who live in Dallas...when you don't live in Dallas?

Don't ask questions if you're going to argue with us about the answers. Seriously.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
OMG...are you seriously trying to argue about the weather in Dallas...with people who live in Dallas...when you don't live in Dallas?

Don't ask questions if you're going to argue with us about the answers. Seriously.
I'm just reading information of off creditable weather websites..You guys are comparing Dallas to places like Los Angeles and San Diego, and I can't find any evidence to support those claims. But if you guys know better than the science that creates these statistics I'm reading, then more power to you.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,491 times
Quote:
I'm not FROM Socal, I'm from Norcal.

So I was correct, the number of sunny days is lower in Dallas than in San Diego or Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas