Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Other than actual Safeway stores which I've shopped at in the West, my experience with their wholly-owned chains (Ralphs, Randalls, and Tom Thumb) has been less than stellar. I've found them rather high-priced, even with my Safeway card. I got off on the wrong thumb with Tom Thumb because I live near what is probably their crummiest store in the metroplex, at N Central and Meadow. Old, tiny, dirty, smelly, with a suspect clientele. I went to one that was somewhat better, but I won't see Tom Thumb going as a major loss.
Yep. That's my go to Tom Thumb when I just need something very quick. Last week I ran in for something and the area around the meat display smelled bad. It's unfortunate because I find most of the staff there to be very friendly. But Tom Thumb, in my experience, is pricier than any of the other regular grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yep. That's my go to Tom Thumb when I just need something very quick. Last week I ran in for something and the area around the meat display smelled bad. It's unfortunate because I find most of the staff there to be very friendly.

Too friendly. I was in there at 6:15 yesterday morning getting something to take to a breakfast meeting at work because I didn't plan ahead and go to a nice store the night before. The checker was so busy yakking with a customer that five additional people piled in behind standing there waiting for the coffeeklatch to finish. The manager opened a second checkstand - at 6:15 in the morning! (Would have been easier for the manager to whop the checker upside the head and tell her to get to work and quit yakking.)

Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
The closest grocery store to us is Tom Thumb. We go there for convenience sake sometimes, but Kroger or Market Street are much better and cheaper. We also have a new Sprouts close to us for when we need to stock up on produce.

I for one would love if HEB bought out all the Tom Thumb stores... I work in Private Label and my company sells to HEB. Buying up all the Tom Thumb stores would increase my commission considerably.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times
Well rumor has it that the Tom Thumb in Highland Park Village is set to close or be moved anyway. It just doesn't fit into the rest of that shopping center anymore as a lot of service oriented businesses have moved out and high fashion has moved in.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:42 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,806,234 times
Hate to hear that, really, as the Tom Thumb in Las Colinas on North MacArthur is one of the very best... exceptionally clean, the best produce bar none, and their service is always over and beyond any other grocery in DFW... one that actually always offers to still take your groceries to your car for you... the only other one I've found to still do that is Publix in Alabama!

Old 02-20-2014, 05:51 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,173,374 times
The Tom Thumb in North Oak Cliff also has checkers/baggers ask if you want them to help you to your car with your bags. Not a big fan of the rest of the store's operation though.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Hate to hear that, really, as the Tom Thumb in Las Colinas on North MacArthur is one of the very best... exceptionally clean, the best produce bar none, and their service is always over and beyond any other grocery in DFW... one that actually always offers to still take your groceries to your car for you... the only other one I've found to still do that is Publix in Alabama!
Baggers at Market Street are required to take your items to your car... whether you want them to or not LOL

Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
They are, but you can also request that they not do so. But they are then required to stand at the door and go retrieve your cart as soon as you're loaded. As a VP for the company explained to me, they look at customers as guests in their home and you would help a guest carry stuff to their car.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,465,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well rumor has it that the Tom Thumb in Highland Park Village is set to close or be moved anyway. It just doesn't fit into the rest of that shopping center anymore as a lot of service oriented businesses have moved out and high fashion has moved in.
Dang it. Now my Tom Thumb is going to get even more packed!

Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 AM

168 posts, read 274,754 times
I just wish Publix would move into DFW and take over their stores! I miss Publix, but Market Street is the closest I've found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas