Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:26 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So?

You want to live forever?
Why yes, yes I do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 12:47 AM

235 posts, read 347,386 times
There is no way you'd get tailgated at DNT while going 80 mph. Many times I find myself being stuck behind drivers that literally invade the "fast lane" going 58-60 mph and they won't even move away from the fast lane no matter what.

Many people don't seem to understand that fast lane is reserved for faster traffic. If you are going to talk on the phone and go ridiculously slow like many people seem to do on daily basis in DFW area, use the right lane, don't invade other people's space where you don't belong.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:53 AM

235 posts, read 347,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Having lived in Portland (OR), Chicago, Boston and New York, I believe (granted, it's just my opinion, that and two bucks gets you not quite enough for a latte at Starbucks) that the drivers here are, in fact, the WORST of any of those cities. I used to think Boston was the worst, but no more. At least in Boston they have the excuse of roads that were built following old horse trails or whatever that wind around and about and have bizarre intersections.
I agree wholeheartedly. I drove in Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas along with several European cities (I travel a lot due to work) and Dallas has the WORST drivers I've ever seen. Getting a driver's license must be extremely easy, almost to the point of being an entitlement because every day I see more than 10 drivers who should have NEVER gotten a driver's license in my short commute of an hour. Every city has some drivers that makes you think "how did she ever get a license?" but DFW seems to have far more of those than most other cities and this probably has to do with the fact that we lack a reliable transportation system so those who don't know how to drive are still forced to drive.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:54 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
I see far more drivers driving 55-60 in the fast lane than 80 on DNT. This is after verifying cold tire pressure is accurate and using cruise control on 70.

When I pass them on the right, these drivers are texting, talking on a cell phone, or smoking.

About half the drivers are going around 67-68. If they set their cruise control to 70 and have underinflated tires, that's about right.

Half of drivers don't check their pressure or recognize a tire pressure warning. The tire pressure warning is designed to be kicked off at 25% underinflation.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...-warning-light

Last edited by move4ward; 04-13-2014 at 06:10 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM

44 posts, read 70,137 times
I did report a seriously crazy driver just last week on the NDT. She was going 90-100 and tailgating everyone. Dallas overall IMHO has some pretty bad drivers. I can't count how many times I have almost been hit if I was not paying attention. Not to mention the people going the wrong way on the tollway. I've seen that twice. You have to really pay attention in Dallas driving period.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkobee View Post
Maybe I am getting old but it seems like Dallas Tollway is a pretty dangerous highway to drive when its not clogged with cars. I usually drive faster than average drivers but it seems like even when I am driving over 80 MPG I am constantly being tailgated by many different cars. It normally wouldn't be an issue if not for the large number of cars in the middle and right lane driving slower than 60 mpg. And then you combine with all the S shape winds of the freeway and how narrow all the lanes are, I am surprised it doesn't have more accidents...
What kind of gas do they sell that allows such FANTASTIC gas mileage?!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach92 View Post
I did report a seriously crazy driver just last week on the NDT. She was going 90-100 and tailgating everyone. Dallas overall IMHO has some pretty bad drivers. I can't count how many times I have almost been hit if I was not paying attention. Not to mention the people going the wrong way on the tollway. I've seen that twice. You have to really pay attention in Dallas driving period.
In some cases, it's the design of the streets and highways. The inconsistency in left turn signals is especially annoying. When I'm in an unfamiliar left turn lane looking ahead at the signal, I have no real idea what's going to happen next.

Sometimes you get two left turn arrows, sometimes you get one left turn arrow (no, the number of left turn lanes is not definitive). Sometimes you get a blinking yellow arrow before a red arrow, sometimes before a green arrow (so you don't know if the oncoming traffic is getting a yellow light and about to stop or about to get a green light).

Sometimes the lanes shift under you, and even if you see it about to happen and prepare to maneuver, you aren't necessarily sure the drivers on your left and right are going to pick up on it (especially if it's raining).

Sometimes the road spawns turn lanes, sometimes it doesn't--there is no consistency. If you're in an outside lane, it may or may not become a turn-only lane as you approach the next intersection.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
Many people don't seem to understand that fast lane is reserved for faster traffic. If you are going to talk on the phone and go ridiculously slow like many people seem to do on daily basis in DFW area, use the right lane, don't invade other people's space where you don't belong.
Thank the easy, "I got it out of the Captain Crunch box as a prize" way we issue driver's licenses in this country. Way too easy to obtain and keep, IMO. Very little in the way of continued driver education as well (unless you're involved in an accident, by which time it's too late).

Old 04-15-2014, 06:44 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Thank the easy, "I got it out of the Captain Crunch box as a prize" way we issue driver's licenses in this country. Way too easy to obtain and keep, IMO. Very little in the way of continued driver education as well (unless you're involved in an accident, by which time it's too late).
Pretty darned difficult to get one in Texas. Their website stated that my military ID would be sufficient. I got there and they said, "That's only a supporting document. We need a passport or birth certificate." I showed them the bullet in their own materials, and they agreed that's what it said: Military ID, active or retired. And then they still said, "Yes it does say that, but we can't take it."

All in all, to get my Texas license with a "veteran" I needed:

Birth certificate
Military ID
DD-214
current license from previous state
Two documents (utility bills) proving Texas residency
Proof of Texas registration of any owned automobiles
Proof of ownership of Texas-registered vehicle (or signed affidavit disavowing ownership of any vehicle)
Proof of insurance of Texas-registered vehicle
$25

Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Pretty darned difficult to get one in Texas. Their website stated that my military ID would be sufficient. I got there and they said, "That's only a supporting document. We need a passport or birth certificate." I showed them the bullet in their own materials, and they agreed that's what it said: Military ID, active or retired. And then they still said, "Yes it does say that, but we can't take it."

All in all, to get my Texas license with a "veteran" I needed:

Birth certificate
Military ID
DD-214
current license from previous state
Two documents (utility bills) proving Texas residency
Proof of Texas registration of any owned automobiles
Proof of ownership of Texas-registered vehicle (or signed affidavit disavowing ownership of any vehicle)
Proof of insurance of Texas-registered vehicle
$25
I was mainly referring to lax testing standards, lack of proof that you have retained proper driving skills over time, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas