Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:47 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times

Advertisements

Whenever I use the DNT everyone seems to be going 60-70. If you're doing over 80 and still being tailgated? Slow down to cause an aneurysm in the offending driver's head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
IMO people who complain about driving here have limited experience driving in other big cities. That's the only conclusion that makes sense.
Maybe. When I lived in Boston I sold my car because the driving and the streets were so crazy. Still, Dallas driving now is much crazier than the driving of my youth. I learned how to drive here, and maybe I am getting old, but it's much more aggressive now.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 AM

12 posts, read 43,757 times
I am with TXGNL - I would love to move back to Dallas in a couple of years when I retire -But I have a relative that lives in Dallas, and he says I would never make it! - but I lived there in the 60's and all during the 1970's - and it WAS much slower and calmer. (In fact I used to be a neighbor of TXGNL - when she was a baby!) and NDT was just being built. But I drove Stemmons and 75 all the time without the"white knuckles". But I really think this nutty driving is EVERYWHERE today.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 AM

382 posts, read 629,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
I wasn't going to mention this since I don't live there yet but...I was there this past weekend, including Friday, during rush hour even. I drove everywhere in the North Dallas area from Irving to McKinney and all parts around and in between. I drove on DNT, 35, 114, 75, 121, PGBT etc...I kept thinking what are all these people complaining about????? The drivers there are NORMAL!!!! Sure someone is going to pass you at some point, sure you're going to pass someone at some point, yes someone might be a little eager and get to close behind you...move over!

As an out-of-towner, I never once felt freaked out, or white knuckled, etc. And it was dumping rain on Sunday (we are not used to that much rain at once where I live). Also, I found the freeways and main roads to be so easy to navigate! I know this doesn't have to do with other drivers but...I loved that the roads are clearly marked ahead of time, the freeway exits and ramps are clearly marked, there was no mistaking where I needed to go at any time. I loved it!

I think with an area that size there's always going to be bad peas in the pod...that does not make it "The worst drivers in the country".
This fits my observation, having driven in just about all major metro areas in the US.

Two things I do note that happens more frequently, at least in DFW...

1) Wide Turns - usually crossing two or all three lanes on a left hand turn to get to the far right lane. That is a no no in most parts of the country and should warrant a mark off on any drivers license test. These people get down right p**sed if you turn right and keep to the right lane, as they think they have the right of way...they don't.

2) HOV - seems there are more in DFW that like to hop on the HOV lane (usually the furthest left), but then go SLOWER than the cars in the regular lanes (often slower than ALL the rest of those lanes). Doesn't make sense, and DFW does not have a monopoly on this, but do see it more often than elsewhere.

That said, DFW is nicely laid out and with wider roads, unlike many other cities, particularly on the east cost (NJ and their "jug handles" for left turns come to mind). So, overall, it is a better driving experience for the distances covered, near and far.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
So?

You want to live forever?

Old 04-11-2014, 02:31 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
This fits my observation, having driven in just about all major metro areas in the US.

Two things I do note that happens more frequently, at least in DFW...

1) Wide Turns - usually crossing two or all three lanes on a left hand turn to get to the far right lane. That is a no no in most parts of the country and should warrant a mark off on any drivers license test. These people get down right p**sed if you turn right and keep to the right lane, as they think they have the right of way...they don't.
The other day I was sitting in the middle lane at a red light. There was a driver in the right lane beside me.

A guy comes up fast from behind us, takes the left turn lane, turns right (against the light) and crosses both of us to make a right turn.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 PM

249 posts, read 330,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The other day I was sitting in the middle lane at a red light. There was a driver in the right lane beside me.

A guy comes up fast from behind us, takes the left turn lane, turns right (against the light) and crosses both of us to make a right turn.
Lol, the guy most likely has a very tiny penis and needed to do things like that to feel good

Old 04-11-2014, 10:55 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:

Yep. I see things like that every day. Today, just picking up my kid from school, which doesn't require any high speed roads, I saw things that turned my stomach because I was sure I was about to see a horrific accident.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:08 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
That said, (especially in light of the Florida comment), I've been told by people who've lived in Miami (I've never been) that the drivers there were far worse than DFW and were the worst of any city they've lived in, so maybe it's all relative.
After driving in Miami, you'd run back to Dallas, drop to your knees, and kiss the DNT. With driving I-95 or the Palmetto Expressway, it's not a matter of if you'll have a near-death experience on your average commute but how many you'll have.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:15 AM

382 posts, read 629,097 times
Quote:

Oh, yes. That's just crazy.

Forgot about this scenario too. The three lane right turn when I am simultaneously turning left, leftmost lane to leftmost lane. Amazingly, those people ALSO get p**sed off at you for "cutting them off".

And, yesterday I saw this...exiting a parking lot from some shopping center....right turn, but three lanes across to left most lane. They misjudged the speed of the traffic and all had to brake. Even if they had good judgement, it is a safety issue, and given the frequency that I see this, I'd say most don't even need to be in the left lane immediately (not like they are making a turn or u-turn a half block away - most don't).

Not saying this does not occur elsewhere, but in DFW, seems more frequent than elsewhere. Maybe because the roads are generally well designed and wide (relative to elsewhere for the traffic load) that it is more noticeable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas