Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
The Parisienne kids are liquored up...well red wined down to be exact.
"Parisienne" refers only to females or female nouns. The word you're looking for is "Parisien" but when referring to children (plural) you'd say "les enfants Parisiens." And the "-ns" is silent. The N is only pronounced when it's followed by a vowel. So you'd hear the N in "Parisienne," but not in "Parisien." (Free French lesson! I'm here to help!)

And while the French definitely take a more liberal approach to children and alcohol than we do, French people tend to get leathered a lot less than Americans do.

But back on topic...these Lakewood parents are a real piece of...erm...WORK. That's a more polite four-letter word for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
I know children (infant-upper elementary) of my daughter's friends (mid 30s and little older) and I guarantee you if they behaved that way in a restaurant, they would either be spending the rest of the evening in the family car with a disgruntled parent while the other finishes dinner or they would already be at home in bed...

My daughter and son (who has no children at this point) were both raised with the expression "DFWM" and an eagle eye stare if they started acting out in public...and my daughter is raising her son to know that certain behavior is not acceptable--period--no matter where you are...
These people are not "parents" in the best/inherent meaning of the word -- they are just pitiful--and undoubtedly will get the children they deserve and have created: selfish, rude, narcissistic, and avoidable...

Old 08-30-2014, 12:04 AM

Have never been there but read the article after my first post--

Actually he should just have barred parents who couldn't/wouldn't control their kids--
people get barred for being obnoxious, loud, drunk, and frankly if that was a FIRE fountain, I would have gotten the names of the parents (from their credit card bills) and turned them in to social services anonymously for allowing their children to endanger themselves in public...
if there was more than one call made about same parents and social services made a call to check things out then maybe their behavior would have changed or they wouldn't have been able to come to Cane Rosso...
Personally I would think he would have had MORE business vs less if he had a strict policy about parents controlling children--because we don't go to places where kids run amok...and I imagine there are others who choose to avoid vs suffer--especially at those prices...

Old 08-30-2014, 12:12 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,443,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not necessarily.

I agree. I lived in Paris for a while and children there were definitely seen but not heard much more than children elsewhere. German children were also very well-behaved, by and large. Polish children were also well-behaved but more boisterous than German children...Polish people were just more fiery than Germans in general. The British? Hooooooooooo boy. Just as bad as Americans.

As far as rowdy-ass kids, though...the silver medal has to go to Israel. But America is on top of the podium.
apparently you haven't run into Mexican national children, worst behaved with boorish manners that the adults also have.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 AM

There is some merit to all these anecdotal stories--simply because in any nation there are parents who don't care enough to train their children to behave...nor their pets, I imagine.

I read the comments to the story as well--and the Cane Rosso owner admitted that part of his design (the rocks) had a very negative impact on the pump--expensive mistake...
but he just seemed so wimpy regarding the boorish behavior of parents and children that I am wondering if his lawyer told him strong measures were not "acceptable practice" for dealing with the situation...
And this unruly behavior isn't new--I can remember when I was growing up in the 50's, there were people whose kids ran riot...people just didn't go out to eat as much though (at least in our area)...

I am the kind of person who when I used to spend time in Toys R Us decades ago--would stop kids running in the aisles or riding bikes or trikes...made my husband nervous even then that parents would take offense...

I do believe the cult of anonymity is breeding contempt--
kids think no one knows their names and they can get away with anything -- and most of the time they are right...
just like someone annoyed by cell phone use in the movie theater--you are afraid of say something because you don't want to be shot...

Old 08-30-2014, 01:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
just like someone annoyed by cell phone use in the movie theater--you are afraid of say something because you don't want to be shot...
Or you go to Alamo Drafthouse where they're not allowed.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:07 AM

True dat!

Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 AM

617 posts, read 1,042,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
It's the liberal agenda that lead to all of this...
LOL. Seriously though, I would expect conservatives to blame it on the Rousseauian Progressive doctrine that human nature, including that of children, is inherently good, and, while leftists would blame consumerist capitalism for fostering an environment of unlimited self-gratification and self-expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not a chance!

I have also noticed this in Lakewood/East Dallas far more than in the Park Cities or Preston Hollow/ North Dallas....a bad trend of parents who want to party but bring their kids along and assume it's not a problem for the kids to run amok all over the restaurant. It's the absolute worst at The Lot where you can watch the ladies of the LECPTA leadership get pretty tipsy while their kids run around and terrorize other kids and tables of adults. If another outside parent tries to intervene - "hey, keep an eye on your kid"- they Lakewood ladies go ballistic on the outside parent. The LECPTA women plan all their parties around booze, think it's funny to be raunchy at LECPTA events (like dinner parties won at the auction where the party conversation quickly turns to "how old were you when you lost your virginity", "wildest place you & hubby have done it, etc"....and gently bullying attendees who don't play along)...... pretty much the least classy PTA in town.

Unfortunately I know too much about this because we have two couple friends who run with this crowd. After several years of this - and it only gets worse as their older kids are now in Elemetary school (why don't these people hire babysitters??) I refuse to do anything with them unless it's a double or triple date. We have been to quite a few of the Lakewood parties over the years....have never seen or heard of any equivalent activity from the HPISD or private school crowds.

Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't think kids should see parents drinking...a glass of wine or beer is ok, but having kids at parties and restaurants where parents are in the tipsy to falling over drunk range just does not sit right with me. They all own $500k+ houses so can certainly afford $50 for a Friday night babysitter.
As a local parent, I am deeply mortified by this whole story. It's appalling and gives parents and Lakewood a bad name. I thought the main advantage of the Lot was that there was a sandbox/playground entirely segregated from the eating area, so kids could run around outside while not bothering the diners inside.

We already abandoned The Lot in favor of Chicken Scratch, due to the better food quality, and the last time we were at Chicken Scratch, the kid crowd seemed pretty well-behaved on the whole. I guess that speaks well of the Oak Cliff/ West Dallas parents, except that a large percentage of the kid contingent were from a Park Cities party, so one should credit the good parenting of the Park Cities folks, much as I hate to do so [humor]...

Plus, at Chicken Scratch they have an entirely separate adults-only area (i.e. The Foundry) for those who want some adult dignity without the presence of kids...

Old 08-30-2014, 06:33 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,637,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not a chance!

I have also noticed this in Lakewood/East Dallas far more than in the Park Cities or Preston Hollow/ North Dallas....a bad trend of parents who want to party but bring their kids along and assume it's not a problem for the kids to run amok all over the restaurant.
Yep. Unfortunately, the article isn't an exaggeration. We have been to Cane Rosso many times and like to sit on the patio. Some parents seem to think that since it is outdoors, it is okay to just let the kids play as if it were their own backyard. I have seen kids pouring handfuls of gravel in the fountain while the parents blissfully ignore them as they order another bottle of wine.

In another forum, a parent actually complained because Cane Rosso isn't completely fenced in like the Lot and the kids might possibly run out to the parking lot. (there are not enough eye rolls for that one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
As a local parent, I am deeply mortified by this whole story. It's appalling and gives parents and Lakewood a bad name. I thought the main advantage of the Lot was that there was a sandbox/playground entirely segregated from the eating area, so kids could run around outside while not bothering the diners inside.
Even though the advantage is to have a playground for the kiddos, it doesn't mean that you just put your kids in the "pen" and then go enjoy your dinner. Parents probably don't leave their children unattended at teh park so why would you do that at a restaurant (with booze added to the mix)

Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
"Parisienne" refers only to females or female nouns. The word you're looking for is "Parisien" but when referring to children (plural) you'd say "les enfants Parisiens." And the "-ns" is silent. The N is only pronounced when it's followed by a vowel. So you'd hear the N in "Parisienne," but not in "Parisien." (Free French lesson! I'm here to help!)

And while the French definitely take a more liberal approach to children and alcohol than we do, French people tend to get leathered a lot less than Americans do.

But back on topic...these Lakewood parents are a real piece of...erm...WORK. That's a more polite four-letter word for them.
I was thinking of a girl I saw through a window a few streets down from l'arc de triomphe and her parents poured her a glass of the deepest red wine. The girl was maybe 8 or so. That accounts for the gender change. I assume boys in France are also served wine. My french is decent, used to be better. Hard to keep it up in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas