Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I think the owner should have just talked to some people who build damage-proof fountains, some rocks and a diaper don't seem like that much to handle in my opinion. I in no way think it's acceptable for kids to be throwing things into a fountain, and they and their parents should be kicked out, but ranchers make fountains all the time that are cow-proof called 'water troughs', and cows are much more destructive than little kids. I mean seriously, a fountain also has to deal with birds and other nocturnal wild animals that aren't exactly gentle, especially one that close to White Rock Lake.

Something just seems off about this explanation to me...seems like an easy group to blame that is covering up other issues.
I don't drive to north Houston for pizza!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:04 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,271,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
It does sound like the fountain/fire pit was a cool feature. Too bad they caved and filled it in.
I would have told the parents they needed to leave...this isn't ChunkE Cheese!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
No French don't drink less than American We just learn how to drink at a very young age and we don't get drunk as fast , we learn how to eat while drinking and to take the time to drink, but at the end the consummation is the same.
And sure French kids are better behave, but the reason behind is corporal punishment , kids are scared of their parents . Some of the punishments would be totally consider as abuse here in the US.
But this is going away , young parents don't want this anymore . I give it 10 more years and you will see no difference with Americans kids, I can already see it with my niece and young cousins.
You can drink a lot and not get drunk if you pace yourself. The French do pace themselves.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
In reading the article I think there were two issues--
the fountain was maybe not well-thought-out since having rocks around it that could be thrown in and damage it was not a smart move
the kids were destructive and he was uncomfortable confronting the parents about the behavior of the children...that is big mistake...
anyone owning a place of business has to keep the needs and safety of ALL customers as well as employees in consideration...
when you have an open area eating/serving area with something like a fountain you need more care than in a normal inside restaurant environment...
I am surprised that no one fell or was injured because of the children's unmonitored activity.

If someone was drunk and being obnoxous, that person would have been asked to leave...
if guests were involved in major argument and caused a scene, they would have probably been approached and asked to tone it down...
I am sort of surprised that some people are such good customers that their boorish, costly behavior was pretty much ignored no matter how intrusive it was to other guests...
that is mistake waiting to happen--
just filling in the fountain might not be enough...

PS==and people wonder why teachers are so burnt out after a few years...

Old 08-31-2014, 12:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
In reading the article I think there were two issues--
the fountain was maybe not well-thought-out since having rocks around it that could be thrown in and damage it was not a smart move
the kids were destructive and he was uncomfortable confronting the parents about the behavior of the children...that is big mistake...
anyone owning a place of business has to keep the needs and safety of ALL customers as well as employees in consideration...
when you have an open area eating/serving area with something like a fountain you need more care than in a normal inside restaurant environment...
I am surprised that no one fell or was injured because of the children's unmonitored activity.

If someone was drunk and being obnoxous, that person would have been asked to leave...
if guests were involved in major argument and caused a scene, they would have probably been approached and asked to tone it down...
I am sort of surprised that some people are such good customers that their boorish, costly behavior was pretty much ignored no matter how intrusive it was to other guests...
that is mistake waiting to happen--
just filling in the fountain might not be enough...

PS==and people wonder why teachers are so burnt out after a few years...
Yeah, but you know how unreasonable some parents can be. The same kind of people who let their kids run amok on that patio are exactly the kind who would blast the owner to the media, accusing him of "hating children" and getting all their ridiculous friends to boycott the restaurant.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM

It is all about accepting responsibility--to accept the responsibility to BE a parent (not just birth a child and allow it to free-range) and to teach your children to accept responsibility for their actions as well...
People who don't accept responsibility are never in the wrong about anything...

Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

It's about MANNERS. My parents were totally OK with their kids messing up the house and generally being a pain in the ass because that's what they signed up for. But other people out in public didn't necessarily sign up for that. It's not OK to be a hellion in public and it reflects on the parents.
I LOVE this, and it is a great representation of what my husband and I are trying to do with our rambunctious boys. Beyond "yes maam" "no sir," etc- just a general awareness of taking others into consideration before you act. It's common sense really, but sadly, attention to manners is becoming a rarity.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 PM

We/the grandparents and our daughter and SIL/parents are trying very hard to get the 2 yr old to use please/thank-you and in little while sir/ma'm...
he is actually pretty good with the please/thank-you even when he isn't prompted...

Using manners is just exercising the concepts of respect and empathy--treating others with the same respect you would want to be treated and taking into account others' feelings...
so many people are just narcissistic---they have no clue that what they want, what they do isn't the most important factor in how they behave...
and teaching empathy begins at such an early age--
the older the child, the more difficult it is to teach empathy because the "I" has become primary...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas