Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times

Advertisements

I like how everyone comes into this thread to post how they hate HOAs and won't ever move to an area with one. Here's an idea: don't! The OP has said that propert owners who knowingly purchased a house with an HOA are refusing to abide by the rules they agreed to when they purchased the house. It's not extreme or unfair to enforce those rules via towing or increased fines. If you want to park on the street, don't buy a house with an HOA that prohibits parking on the street. If you do buy a house in such a place, don't be surprised if you get towed because you don't follow the rules. It's really pretty simple. No one forced these people to buy that particular house. It's unfair to the people who abide by the rules to have to see others ignoring the rules with no penalty.

My HOA prohibits street parking. I've reported people who repeatedly violate it because I park in my garage, and I expect them to do the same, as required by the HOA rules. It's cluttered and unpleasant to see cars lining the streets. It looks unkempt and cheap.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:05 AM

26 posts, read 33,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I like how everyone comes into this thread to post how they hate HOAs and won't ever move to an area with one. Here's an idea: don't! The OP has said that propert owners who knowingly purchased a house with an HOA are refusing to abide by the rules they agreed to when they purchased the house. It's not extreme or unfair to enforce those rules via towing or increased fines. If you want to park on the street, don't buy a house with an HOA that prohibits parking on the street. If you do buy a house in such a place, don't be surprised if you get towed because you don't follow the rules. It's really pretty simple. No one forced these people to buy that particular house. It's unfair to the people who abide by the rules to have to see others ignoring the rules with no penalty.

My HOA prohibits street parking. I've reported people who repeatedly violate it because I park in my garage, and I expect them to do the same, as required by the HOA rules. It's cluttered and unpleasant to see cars lining the streets. It looks unkempt and cheap.
Thank you. I agree 110% with you as well.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:13 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:

For the win.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:30 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
It's cluttered and unpleasant to see cars lining the streets. It looks unkempt and cheap.
Yet the people who say things like this are totally cool with giant parking lots in front of WalMarts. The cognative dissonance must burn.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:10 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
Quote:

Word.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Keep an eye on your children then, and teach them not to dart out between parked cars. Most of us didn't have to learn that one the hard way. The world does not revolve around young children (or their parents).

Ouch! I do, I promise! I certainly realize the world doesn't revolve around them. I was just pointing out that along with being tacky, it is a safety hazard.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
Ouch! I do, I promise! I certainly realize the world doesn't revolve around them. I was just pointing out that along with being tacky, it is a safety hazard.
Sure, it's a hazard for everyone...not just young children. I don't like threading the needle between parked cars either, but it's pretty low on my list of pet peeves.

It's been years since a kid was hit by a car in my neighborhood and that last incident had nothing to do with parked cars.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:19 PM

676 posts, read 931,941 times
All this appears to be is some HOA board member who wants to micro-manage and have too much control over what the residents do. I can understand keeping the neighborhood looking nice, but towing residents cars from city streets is really extreme. If it happened to me the HOA board would be hearing from my lawyer and I'm sure from others also.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:33 PM

26 posts, read 33,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yet the people who say things like this are totally cool with giant parking lots in front of WalMarts. The cognative dissonance must burn.
Incorrect assumption by a long shot. Comparing apples to oranges...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
All this appears to be is some HOA board member who wants to micro-manage and have too much control over what the residents do. I can understand keeping the neighborhood looking nice, but towing residents cars from city streets is really extreme. If it happened to me the HOA board would be hearing from my lawyer and I'm sure from others also.
"Appears"? Far from it. It's not as much about keeping the neighborhood nice as it is about vehicle passage and safety. The "nice" factor comes with enforcing the rule already in place.

So, tell me. Would you, as a resident, park on the street or not if a restriction was in place not permitting it? If so, why? Convenience? Laziness? Cluttered garage?

Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
Not to be snarky, but using this analogy, if the HOA was the coach of the team, your kid with purple hair ends up being thrown in jail for the parent to bail them out rather than being sent home.

We should all seek to be reasonable in the course of our dealings with one another. Towing someone's car is a bit of an over reach IMHO.
I agree. But the point still stands that you agreed to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas