Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,110,251 times

Advertisements

Most buyers are going to want matching stuff. There are exceptions, I would say the fridge has a lot more leeway to be something different than the oven, range, microwave, dishwasher, etc... But it would still need to be the same color.

We have a Samsung refrigerator, Kitchenaid oven/microwave combo, range, trash compacter, and hood. We also have a Bosch dishwasher.

I would prefer that the dishwasher was Kitchenaid for uniformity, but it's actually a better dishwasher than what Kitchenaid makes, so we're keeping it. They're all stainless steel, so nothing looks really out of place except the dishwasher stainless steel is a slightly different color than the others, but it's not noticeable unless you really look hard.

At the end of the day, if a potential home buyer likes two houses, but one has mismatched appliances in the kitchen, I think most people would choose the house that won't cost them as much to renovate, and kitchen appliances are expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:46 AM

769 posts, read 783,404 times
I would first check with the HOA. The architectural committee may not approve mismatching appliance brands.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 AM

49 posts, read 96,111 times
Thank you all for your valuable input! A few things to clarify:

1. It is a new build, builder doesn't have an issue what we pick. So there is no warranty/HOA issue.
2. Color/Material wise, all of them are going to be Stainless Steel. (Great point on making sure that even stainless steel matches)
3. The way kitchen layout is, there is only Cooking range/Vent Hood in that area. Dishwasher/MW/Oven all are on the other side.

We just like JennAir styling better when it comes to Cooking Range/Vent Hood, that too with a very little price change. Rest of it will be Kitchen Aid.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:23 AM

19,815 posts, read 18,116,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmaverick1 View Post
Thank you all for your valuable input! A few things to clarify:

1. It is a new build, builder doesn't have an issue what we pick. So there is no warranty/HOA issue.
2. Color/Material wise, all of them are going to be Stainless Steel. (Great point on making sure that even stainless steel matches)
3. The way kitchen layout is, there is only Cooking range/Vent Hood in that area. Dishwasher/MW/Oven all are on the other side.

We just like JennAir styling better when it comes to Cooking Range/Vent Hood, that too with a very little price change. Rest of it will be Kitchen Aid.

Mix and match keeping with stainless and you will be fine. The HOA comment above was a joke.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,466,569 times
As long as they are the same color I'm sure you're fine. I know my parents had the same brand stove and ovens(Viking), but a different brand refrigerator(sub zero) and dishwasher (no idea). They were all the same stainless steal, and they even had a viking emblem placed on the dishwasher. I believe this was before Viking made dishwashers. They had no issues selling.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:28 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,300,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
As long as they are the same color I'm sure you're fine. I know my parents had the same brand stove and ovens(Viking), but a different brand refrigerator(sub zero) and dishwasher (no idea). They were all the same stainless steal, and they even had a viking emblem placed on the dishwasher. I believe this was before Viking made dishwashers. They had no issues selling.
In the high end homes, I think that this is very common. We have a subzero fridge/freezer, Viking Range, Bosch dishwasher, and no idea who made the ovens. The colors must match, but the brands absolutely do not need to match, and in fact, it is often better if they do not. Many people would prefer a subzero over any other fridge, but Viking ranges are considered, by some, the best.

Finally, one last option. In our last house we different color appliances (white fridge, black ovens, stainless dishwasher). We were able to put wood panels on the fridge and dishwasher that looked nice. It was not as nice as new appliances, but we could not afford new appliances, and this was the best option in our budget.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:24 AM

49 posts, read 96,111 times
Thank you all for your precious feedback!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:18 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,411,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
... far-reaching and possibly unintended dramatic consequences....

Thanks for the afternoon laugh.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,649,156 times
Dear God, we're terrible homeowners...most of our kitchen items are GE profile and black, but our microwave is Electrolux (the HORRORS) and when we bought a fridge, we bought a STAINLESS WHIRLPOOL!!! What WERE we thinking!!! (We would've bought black as it would've cost $100 less, but the store didn't have any of those in stock).

Even worse, if I ever upgrade the cooktop, it'll likely be a commercial grade Wolf or Thermador, most likely (I think Viking is a bit overrated), and it might NOT be black!

How will we EVER sell our home (I mean, outside of the fact that it's in an excellent location known for top level schools and near lots of shopping with an attractive lot)!? My god, if we replace the dishwasher with a non-black Bosch, it'll only be purchased as a teardown!

Seriously, they're effing kitchen appliances, and not only that but the "trendy" colors change every 5-10 years or so. Anyone remember when Harvest Gold and Avocado Green were the "in" colors? Apparently now there's a shift going on away from the "everything stainless" trend of the last decade or so.

As long as it doesn't look awful, as a homebuyer I'd me much more interested in the quality of the appliances and the fact that they function properly.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:57 PM

244 posts, read 405,963 times
I'm with Hockdad. We have a Miele Dishwasher, a vintage stove, and a sub zero freezer. I chose what worked best for the way we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas