Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,648,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I think we may all be seeing this map incorrectly. Are we sure the ones that load are the "best" or "top"? Or are those just defaults, and we are to choose what matters the most to us on the right hand side and it sorts it for us. I didn't see a definitive list like they've had in years before.
They list the weighting they used for the criteria, and when the data gets dropped in and weighted accordingly, that's their top 10.

People can then change weights around how they wish (sort of, it uses this 1-10 scale thingy), and that can change any personal top 10, as it'll take the data and weight each category differently. For example, don't care about "affordability" because you've got money to burn? Watch Park Cities, Southlake and West Plano jump up the charts! Don't care about "pet friendly" or whatever? Reduce that to 1 and watch the rankings change again. And so on.

I futzed quickly with the ratings and let it generate a "personal" top 10, and it had Colleyville and Southlake 1 and 2 for me, so hey, it works, sort of. I forget the rest of the top 10, but there were several that made no sense, because it has no idea where I'm commuting to. Also, it can't really quantify that Cedar Hill is very pretty scenically, for example.

So it's like Every Other Subjective Ranking Of Ever - as others note, it's a nice marketing tool for the newspapers, gets people to click on the website and then talk about it, as we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: