Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWDove View Post
Snobs don't necessarily go after new, they go after prestigious zip codes and neighborhoods that are synonymous with wealth and class. New homes are usually bought by new money and Jonses wanna be sort. No grade A snob would be caught dead with a address that says Richwoods.
Not all snobs are rich enough to buy in the Park Cities.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Snobs don't necessarily go after new, they go after prestigious zip codes and neighborhoods that are synonymous with wealth and class. New homes are usually bought by new money and Jonses wanna be sort. No grade A snob would be caught dead with a address that says Richwoods.
I guess it depends on the type of snob. I'm imagining a "Jones-wannabe-sort" type of snob.

Speaking of such things, I do chuckle when gassing up my aforementioned cheap old car and I need to punch my "prestigious" zip code into the pump before it'll approve my card. "Yeah, cause that's how I roll!"

Old 06-11-2015, 03:51 PM

84 posts, read 94,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Snobbery is a multi tier culture.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:08 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Snobbery is a multi tier culture.
Yup, and it doesn't discriminate on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, etc.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:03 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
....and it exists EVERYWHERE. Next subject, PLEASE!

Old 06-12-2015, 08:41 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The worst Snobs are the wanna be rich snobs. The wanna be's are fake arrogant also.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:12 PM

631 posts, read 885,109 times
I respect the Park Cities people who like living in older, architecturally beautiful houses and like being in the city with better access to culture and better schools, but I'm wary of the Gatsby like "old money" snobbery where you aren't taken seriously if you're new money and your father didn't also live in the Park Cities and pledge the right fraternity.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
I respect the Park Cities people who like living in older, architecturally beautiful houses and like being in the city with better access to culture and better schools, but I'm wary of the Gatsby like "old money" snobbery where you aren't taken seriously if you're new money and your father didn't also live in the Park Cities and pledge the right fraternity.
I didn't see any of this growing up there, nor have I experienced it while my son has been in tball there the past few months. Actually some of the oldest (money) and most wealthy people I've known in the area are some of the nicest people I've ever been involved with. I find most of the snobbery in the area comes from recent transplants.

One of the most popular kids in school was a 1st generation immigrant that lived in a 2 bedroom apartment by SMU (it was torn down to make room for the Bush library).

Old 06-12-2015, 04:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
It really is nice to live in a very mixed race, mixed ethnic Texas. Rich or poor, straight or gay Texas people really are some of the most accepting people in the US.

We get a bad stereo type at times. Most Texans are really good people.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:00 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Is the snob/keeping up with the joneses a recent thing in Texas since the economic boom? I've been absent from actually living in Texas for at least five years on and off but from what I've gathered that's happened to my once small town of Katy Texas, it's unbearably keeping up with the joneses now. The new development, the new monied professional class is all but eager to show off their new toys, new homes, new digs! It's all about where you live and where you dine or travel, but especially where you work! You gotta be connected to oil/gas/energy, or at least doing accounting/finance for them.

I mentioned this to my co workers here in LA and they tell me that's how Southern California used to be before the crash. Now it's a pretty humbled city. Keeping up with the joneses feels like a fruitless effort when your competition are millionaires and billionaires. No 100k millionaires over here.

OP, I doubt it's all Dallasites, it's mostly the new monied younger family professionals in the local economy who think they've stuck oil being middle management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas