Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 06:50 PM

8,159 posts, read 3,706,220 times

Advertisements

I would also like to hear more about the admission practices in the elite privates. And how much it is merit vs., hmm.., let's just say "holistic"

I could give an example of a fair merit based admission, imo, from my former high school (public, there were no privates), thousands of miles away, and many years ago:

School specific admission exams, different for each area of study (no multiple choice stuff, it was considered uncool to give you the answer). And then the results were on the wall (yes, with names, lol) averaged with the previous grade(s) in the particular area(s), and then you are either above the line or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 07:47 PM

504 posts, read 801,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I would also like to hear more about the admission practices in the elite privates. And how much it is merit vs., hmm.., let's just say "holistic"

I could give an example of a fair merit based admission, imo, from my former high school (public, there were no privates), thousands of miles away, and many years ago:

School specific admission exams, different for each area of study (no multiple choice stuff, it was considered uncool to give you the answer). And then the results were on the wall (yes, with names, lol) averaged with the previous grade(s) in the particular area(s), and then you are either above the line or not.
You're probably talking about a third world system. We don't do that here in the U.S.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
You're probably talking about a third world system. We don't do that here in the U.S.
No I'm not.

And also - when I'm ignorant on a topic I do not comment

Old 09-18-2015, 08:17 PM

19,884 posts, read 18,170,665 times
Quote:
No I'm not.

Eastern Europe?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
No I'm not.

Please do enlighten us then your "thousands of miles away" location. I've heard from my Chinese and Indian friends something similar to what you described. I'm willing to bet it's one of those locations

Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Eastern Europe?
Yep, you got me.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:11 AM

19,884 posts, read 18,170,665 times
Quote:
Yep, you got me.
Unfortunately he passed away several years ago but a friend grew up in Poland. I'm weak on the details but recall him describing that on his way to becoming an engineer in Poland he had to take what amounted to a series of all of nothing tests - pass you keep going - fail do something different.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately he passed away several years ago but a friend grew up in Poland. I'm weak on the details but recall him describing that on his way to becoming an engineer in Poland he had to take what amounted to a series of all of nothing tests - pass you keep going - fail do something different.
Yes but that's not what the poster described. I'm mildly familiar with Eatern European countries too(Hungary and Romania). What he described is not simple pass and fail. Average of 2 grades and above or below the line etc. It exists in highly populated countries (2.5 billion between China and India) where admission is super super competitive for professional colleges.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:40 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,086,536 times
Quote:
Yes that's right. My guess is you won't be. Nonsense claims fall apart in the face of quantifiable metrics.
Whatever you say Einstein. Nonesense is relative.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:39 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,651,405 times
Well, this is once again becoming a charming thread.

Hockaday's NMSF numbers are below their prior numbers, so I'm sure they're not ecstatic about that. NMSF is quite volatile, especially in small student bodies, so one or two years below established norms may be a trend...or it may just be random variation. Can't really tell now. Hockaday's "bad" numbers are still light years above any open enrollment public. That said, they're not competing with those schools but rather with other top privates, so lower NMSF doesn't help the marketing. But as noted more than once, "%age of NMSF" is just one data point in the entire process of evaluating a school, so one shouldn't read too much into it. Hockaday is still a top tier private.

I assume Hockaday's admissions are mostly merit based but partly influenced by "social status". I doubt their policies have changed substantially if at all over the last 5 or 10 or whatever years. If they had more NMSFs a few years ago than they do now, it likely has nothing to do with admission policies and practices.

It's %NMSF. It doesn't say THAT much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas