Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:05 AM

409 posts, read 1,045,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
That area is not walkable at all.
Um what are you talking about. They only thing that separates NYLO from the hospital is capital one campus. There is a long sidewalk running right down the east side of it. NYLO and the hospital are just one block apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
If you are going to Childrens Medical Center (on Preston & Hedgecox) then no that is not walkable, as there is nothing around it you would want to go to. It's mostly surrounded by fields. The NYLO hotel mentioned is about a mile away to the north - technically I guess you could walk to/fro because there are sidewalks, but there is nothing next to Nylo either to take up an entire day - just corporate headquarters-es, empty fields, and parking lots.
What are you all talking about. When was the last time you were there. The fields are mostly gone now. All the fields behind (north of capital one) are no longer fields. It is just all capital one. Hop out of the nylo cross Preston there is Christianas restaurant, pie wei a ton of shopping and eats! Literally across the street.

Look OP. Dont listen to the advice you are getting. I live one mile from there and I am looking at it right now out of my office window. Call the nylo hotel and ask them if they are walk able to shopping, food and childrens and they will tell you yes.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapr View Post
Like others suggested, you would need a car to get around. If you stay close to US-75 and George Bush Turnpke, there are several hotels with shuttle like Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood, Springhill etc... The DART train runs along US-75 into Downtown and beyond to the Dallas Zoo, there is a station at George Bush and 75.

She can take a Uber or something to the hospital and you can take the train to Downtown, Zoo, etc...
Why the heck would you stay off of 75 which is clear across town when there is the nylo (preston and rasor), cambria (legacy and parkwood) homewood (democracy and parkwood) all less than a mile from childrens

Old 10-09-2015, 11:23 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Thanks for the responses! I had a feeling we would need to rent a car. My SIL doesn't want to, but she's the one who will be in class 8 hours a day. I'll be trying to entertain my niece during that time. Her workshop is at the Children's Hospital, but they recommended hotels closer the the Medical Center of Plano, which is why I asked. I'm thinking she could take a shuttle to the Children's Hospital for her class, but as far as me and my niece, I really don't want to deal with trying to take a shuttle with a carseat everywhere. I'm going to convince her that we need to rent a car!

If we do that, I'm guessing there would be a lot more to do if I drive into Dallas, correct? Any suggestions on where to take an almost 2 year old for a few hours of entertainment?
I'm confused why they recommended hotels there (the bolded part)? It's not really close to Children's. There are quite a few very new and nice hotels close to Children's. As someone else pointed out, it's located close to quite a few corporate campuses. You could always walk to the Shops at Legacy, which has tons of restaurants and a few fountains that your niece would like (my 2 year old does).

Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,929,257 times
There is nothing near the NYLO that would be of interest to a 2-year-old. That strip mall across the street has nothing but restaurants and a hookah lounge. (Well, I guess the kid could go into the piano store and bang on the keyboards. ) Also, the NYLO itself is trying to be a "hip" hotel, and would be a poor choice for keeping a kid there all day long.

I'd suggest the Candlewood Suites on Legacy/Ohio, right next to Lifetime Fitness. It's just as close to Children's as the NYLO, maybe even a few hundred feet closer, set up for families with kids, and about $30-40 cheaper per night. Take the savings and use it to rent a car, so you don't go stir-crazy in the hotel room.

--

Edit: Walking to Shops at Legacy is just not gonna happen with a 2-year-old. The distance from the NYLO to there is over 1.5 miles. Most adults would balk at walking that far in the TX heat.

--

If you're dead set against a car, the best idea floated so far is the one mocked just upthread - staying on the other side of Plano. You're already doing your relative a huge favor here. Let HER take one for the team and stay where it's the best setup for you and the kid. That would be on the east side, where you can easily use the light rail to get around.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:45 AM

There is no need to walk to the shops even though you could walk it. It is not hot but here is a free shuttle from NYLO to a 5 mile radius and that is way under 5 miles

Old 10-09-2015, 11:54 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,491 times
The area isn't walkable. I'm laughing thinking about crossing that part of Preston road with a 2 year old.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:15 PM

206 posts, read 335,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
The area isn't walkable. I'm laughing thinking about crossing that part of Preston road with a 2 year old.
Exactly. taroberts is getting very personal Looks like he is affiliated with NYLO

Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 PM

206 posts, read 335,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
Why the heck would you stay off of 75 which is clear across town when there is the nylo (preston and rasor), cambria (legacy and parkwood) homewood (democracy and parkwood) all less than a mile from childrens

Chill out dude, it is friday for everyone

Old 10-09-2015, 12:43 PM

233 posts, read 303,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I will be going to Plano with my sister-in-law in a few weeks to help take care of my 2 year old niece while my SIL attends a conference at the Children's Hospital. We will be flying into Dallas and staying at a hotel near one of these hospitals for 5 nights. I am trying to figure out whether we should rent a car or if we can get by with walking in this area. Either way, we will need to bring a carseat, as we would have to take a cab or shuttle from Dallas. I don't want to be confined to the hotel with a 2 year old though, so I'll need to be able to at least walk to a grocery store, restaurants and it would be nice if there was a park or something too.

Is it feasible to get by walking in this area? We are coming from a small, relatively walkable city in Oregon. My biggest worry is that we will get there, not rent a car, and I will be stuck either in the hotel, or have to deal with getting a car seat in and out of a cab or the hotel shuttle whenever I want to get out.
If your budget allows then stay at Marriott @ Legacy. This is a bigger hotel, has a pool and a gym. They are across the street from the Bishop Park and Shops@Legacy so playing, swimming, working out, shopping, eating and killing time would be fun. There is a theater there and many spas as well.

They have a shuttle service that covers 3 mile area so you & SIL doesn't have to worry about renting a car. They can take you to her hospital, Willowbend Mall(shopping, dinning,play area), Stonebriar Mall(shopping, dinning, play area,theater), Arbor Hills Nature Reserve, Plano Heritage Museum, McDonald's and many many other attractions for all three of you. Hope you have a good time and enjoy bonding with your SIL and niece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: