Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:13 AM

630 posts, read 658,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unherdable View Post
Lots of people who live in Plano and Dallas also spend the worst parts of the DFW Summer in places like Aspen (which in my most humble opinion is so much nicer than Boulder...), where many of them own second homes.....

So all the discussions about the lack of mountains, oceans, scenery etc, are pretty pointless. DFW has traditionally had the highest concentration of billionaires, do you think they are all sitting around complaining about how much it sucks? On the contrary, they love living here, and the DFW/Love airports which fly them and all the other jetsetting DFW'ers to much nicer places than ... ahem .... Boulder. This is a great place to live, work, eat and drink, and make lots of money so that you can buy a vacation home in a much nicer place.

If you live and play in DFW exclusively, then yes it sucks pretty badly. But if you vacation elsewhere, then it is an awesome place to live.
Jetsetting to far off places, vacation homes in scenic mountains.

Great and relevant advice for the average person who posts here asking where to find a home in good school district for less than 250k.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM

44 posts, read 42,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Getting back on topic with this thread ...

OP: You mentioned that you are also into rock climbing. There is a spectacular area for this in the Wichita Mountains Wilderness area in Oklahoma. It's located roughly near Lawton, OK (about 200 miles or 3 hours by car). Very doable in a weekend.

Wichita Mountains Climbers Coalition

There also are various Meet-up groups for climbing afficianados, as well as Texas Mountaineers.

Access to things like this can make the DFW area much more livable ...

Again, good luck!
Thank you for this helpful information...amidst the cultural debates going on in this thread. I look forward to exploring these new areas.

As for all the downsides I am hearing about DFW, I realize nothing is all bad. Having lived and worked in the Silicon Valley for many years, I am no stranger to the nouveau riche nor expensive living...in the late 1990s I paid $1600 for a room in a shared apartment off of the Embarcadero in San Francisco! But I have found good people everywhere and I am sure there are many good people to be found in Dallas.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 AM

176 posts, read 234,272 times
If outdoor activities are really important here is an out of the box suggestion. Why not look at Aubrey, Texas? For $1500.00 you could rent or (even better own a home) or own a home at a much lower cost. You would be close to a lot of trails for biking. Ray Roberts-Greenbelt Corridor Texas State Park Facility and Trail Map - Ray Roberts texas
Just a thought.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:14 PM

44 posts, read 73,357 times
Great...another ex-Californian-ex-Coloradoan moving to Texas....

I love Texas. Born and raised here, but it has just been overrun by folks from out of state. Because of this, Texas has lost so much of its charm and uniqueness. Sad.

Colorado was much this way, until all of the liberals moved in and screwed up that state.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centercab View Post

I love Texas. Born and raised here, but it has just been overrun by folks from out of state. Because of this, Texas has lost so much of its charm and uniqueness. Sad.

Colorado was much this way, until all of the liberals moved in and screwed up that state.
I agree with this. Although I was not born in Texas or Dallas, I feel that there are way too transplants here and Dallas has lost a feeling. Dallas could be basically anywhere.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:01 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Hopefully as the transplants age and reproduce it will mature into something of its own.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:57 AM

44 posts, read 73,357 times
I just love it when liberals call us conservatives "dumb" and "uneducated". They can no longer find a job or afford to live in the "utopia" that they create, so they move. Where do they move to? Low tax, conservative states. Instead of learning by their past experiences, they bring their baggage with them and tend to destroy yet another place.

Just because someone is educated, that doesn't mean they are smart! Except for me, of course! LOL

Old 02-14-2016, 12:09 PM

6 posts, read 10,864 times
Thank goodness Texas is getting some diversity. Good luck in your home search, Summit. We are in Wylie, which has a few trails and greenery. But there are about 5 progressives in the whole town and I don't know about any quality rentals.

The Lakewood area is fabulous, close to White Rock and more *progressive* parts of Dallas.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:10 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
Jetsetting to far off places, vacation homes in scenic mountains.

Great and relevant advice for the average person who posts here asking where to find a home in good school district for less than 250k.
It's great and relevant because plenty of folks within the parameters you described do take nice vacations.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centercab View Post

In most of the bigger cities I've lived in (San Diego, Las Vegas, now DFW), many of the people are from elsewhere! It tends towards the norm, not the exception. It's just what is. Most people are not born, raised, and living in the same town forever. Mobility. Relo. Transplants. It's just a fact of life in bigger cities in the 21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas