Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:07 PM

17 posts, read 17,400 times

Advertisements

As everyone else is saying, it is against the law.

Whether or not a police officer pulls you over for it or not is a different question. Based on just anecdotal evidence on my part, I believe it comes down to what you and your car look like.

If you are young or poor looking, and driving a car that looks it you will probably rack up a ticket or two for it. Older and driving a nicer car, you can probably go a very long time without even getting a warning about it. Again, that is just what I have experienced growing up in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 02:11 PM

641 posts, read 804,279 times
its the law.... better to have and not need... the cops will always hv p/c to pull you over without one and I'm sure there's never a convenient time to get pulled over

Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,419,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
Sure enough the Texas law requires tow plates (front / back), but i've recently noticed a large amount of vehicles without the front plate. At first I though it was all of the out of state drivers or just certain vehicles, but it mostly Texas plates on both newer and older vehicles. Has anyone ever received a ticket or been questioned about just having one plate?
You need two plates

Old 02-01-2017, 07:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
At least carry the second plate with you to prove that someone else is not using it on a different vehicle.
This is what I do with my sports car (my SUVs have both plates on), and if they fine me, I will accept that and quietly pay the fee as the cost of not ruining my car.

A friend of mine got busted in Denton.
But she was pulled over for speeding and THEN got busted for the plate.
I don't speed.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:33 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,916,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
Sure enough the Texas law requires tow plates (front / back), but i've recently noticed a large amount of vehicles without the front plate. At first I though it was all of the out of state drivers or just certain vehicles, but it mostly Texas plates on both newer and older vehicles. Has anyone ever received a ticket or been questioned about just having one plate?
I received one in Irving. ~$125 fine.
It was from a dirty cop named something like Keuver who did an illegal pat down on me. At least his supervisor took the illegal pat down seriously.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 4,305 times
Depending on the color of the Driver!

Old 02-12-2022, 08:08 PM

319 posts, read 230,503 times
I've only known one person (personally) to have gotten a ticket for it. It was blatant profiling, but it is very rare. I think people can get away with resting it on the dashboard. If you want to avoid police interaction as much as possible, then install the front plate.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:16 PM

798 posts, read 505,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdebnam View Post
I keep my second plate in the trunk.
Here in California, it is illegal also.

Most here keep on the dashboard by the windshield.

Makes it kinda hard to drive with that glare from the sun.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:34 PM

573 posts, read 338,344 times
Received a warning by state patrol, not local, near Alpine.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:43 PM

36 posts, read 73,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redah View Post
Depending on the color of the Driver!
This.

I had three cars without a front license plate because everyone said it was no big deal. I got pulled over and ticketed for each cars. A Williamson County Sheriff pulled me over in Roud Rock and he had balls to tell me 90% of the Terrorist don't drive without a license plate so he had to pull me over to ensure I wasn't a Terrorist. I was like WTF. I've also been pulled over in Plano for the no front plate but he was looking for something more than the front license plate but of course he couldn't find anything.

So yeah, no big deal if you're a white driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: