Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:39 PM

948 posts, read 1,141,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
OK good move on the 2.0 over the 3.0. It's my understanding that most dealers will bring in a car from say within a 200 mile circle gratis or close. From Miami they'd have to put the car on a car hauler and ship it. That costs real money that they are not going to absorb.

If you don't mind the prying what special items do you want?
Sent you a PM.
I understand they pay 'destination fee' for shipment from factory to their shop which is passed on to customer. But I am not picking the one from their lot, so they didn't pay for my unit(in Miami) and I am paying for the shipment, hence shouldn't it be absorbed by the 'destination fee' which I will eventually cover? or am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 PM

8,158 posts, read 3,684,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Sent you a PM.
I understand they pay 'destination fee' for shipment from factory to their shop which is passed on to customer. But I am not picking the one from their lot, so they didn't pay for my unit(in Miami) and I am paying for the shipment, hence shouldn't it be absorbed by the 'destination fee' which I will eventually cover? or am I missing something here?
Just order the car. This way you get exactly what you want and nothing more. And you would not need to pay for transport from another dealer.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:05 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,219,204 times
I'm a hardcore negotiator to the point where I walked right before signing papers because another dealership that I was talking to called and offered a better deal. The dealer who I was talking to didn't think I'd walk (I think he assumed I was weak because I'm a stay at home mom.) so he didn't offer to match or beat the other dealer's offer. He got really mad when I left. I say negotiate away.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,427 times
Quote:
Thanks EDS. I am no longer looking for 3.0 but 2.0. Already paid the dealer 1k deposit to start searching for my custom built which will be deducted from vehicle price. But now they are saying they found one in Miami and costs 1k shipping. I am not sure if I should spent the money on a diff color than shipping charge. Again they will be charging flat destination fees ($950) anyways, hence shouldn't it be used for shipping and not double charge me?
Why on earth did you pay $1,000 for a dealership to start searching for a car for you? Demand your money back tomorrow - that's absurd. They can search all of the inventory in the USA in 3 minutes - a $1,000 fee to do that is insane.

The destination fee should be rolled into the purchase price. The $1,000 shipping is not unreasonable from Miami to Dallas, but you shouldn't pay it unlesss they refuse to budge AND the other numbers work out well.

If you're shopping at Audi Plano, those guys are first-rate clowns.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I'm a hardcore negotiator to the point where I walked right before signing papers because another dealership that I was talking to called and offered a better deal. The dealer who I was talking to didn't think I'd walk (I think he assumed I was weak because I'm a stay at home mom.) so he didn't offer to match or beat the other dealer's offer. He got really mad when I left. I say negotiate away.
Exactly. I actually enjoy hardball negotiations at car dealerships. I grind them down. I know that they MUST be making money on the deal, otherwise they wouldn't agree to it...so I don't feel guilty for driving a hard bargain. I can't force them to sell me a car at a certain price, though I can pressure them to lower the price to a level that I find acceptable and that still allows them to make a profit.

They underestimate me because I'm female...which is the part I find the most fun.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
That's right. I normally don't go to the dealership until I finalize on the numbers and ready to pick up.No need to create a scene, but these folks learnt it the hard way. I already had a better number from another dealer but these folks agreed to match the extremely low interest rate my bank offered for financing and that's what brought me in. Turned out it was bluff.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Why on earth did you pay $1,000 for a dealership to start searching for a car for you? Demand your money back tomorrow - that's absurd. They can search all of the inventory in the USA in 3 minutes - a $1,000 fee to do that is insane.

The destination fee should be rolled into the purchase price. The $1,000 shipping is not unreasonable from Miami to Dallas, but you shouldn't pay it unlesss they refuse to budge AND the other numbers work out well.

It's not for searching but bringing in the vehicle from another city, in my case Miami. more like a deposit for putting their time coordinate the activities. I should have negotiated on that now I think about it.

Lol I know. I went for a test drive last Friday evening, they couldn't find the right key for any of the cars in their lot. Made 4 trips to the lot with 7-8 different keys and spent about 25 minutes to finally locate a car that unlocked. Very professional and efficient customer service.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:36 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,219,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Audi Plano is the dealership I walked away from. I went to Audi Dallas instead.

I actually have a sexism test for dealerships. I like to have company when I car shop so I'll sometimes bring my father since he's semi retired so he has the free time during the weekday to go with me. We make it clear that I'm the one buying the car so they should talk to me. If they ignore me in favor of my father or condescend to me then I walk.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Audi Plano is the dealership I walked away from. I went to Audi Dallas instead.

I actually have a sexism test for dealerships. I like to have company when I car shop so I'll sometimes bring my father since he's semi retired so he has the free time during the weekday to go with me. We make it clear that I'm the one buying the car so they should talk to me. If they ignore me in favor of my father or condescend to me then I walk.
My case was the other way. Audi Dallas kicked me out when I refused the bait 'n switch offer. They even blocked(secured) the unit in Houston I was looking for so I won't get it through another dealer but them.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:14 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,427 times
Quote:
It's not for searching but bringing in the vehicle from another city, in my case Miami. more like a deposit for putting their time coordinate the activities. I should have negotiated on that now I think about it.
That's a fee that should get paid when you agree to business terms and sign the paperwork. Not before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas