Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:45 PM

537 posts, read 598,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Charlotte and Raleigh are the two most liberal areas of the state. Chapel Hill (part of the Raleigh "triangle" of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) is very liberal as is Charlotte proper. The suburbs are more conservative but NC is experiencing a large influx of people from NY, NJ, MA, etc. who are bringing their liberal ideology with them. NC went for Obama in 2008 and has been the center of controversy with gay marriage and the bathroom bill.

SC overall is more conservative than NC.

What is there to do in Raleigh that you can't do in DFW?
Has it really changed that much in the past 10 years? Raleigh itself is fairly liberal, but many of the surrounding suburbs are very conservative - lots of families, churches, and conservatives. Unless that has changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 03:22 PM

422 posts, read 542,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
Has it really changed that much in the past 10 years? Raleigh itself is fairly liberal, but many of the surrounding suburbs are very conservative - lots of families, churches, and conservatives. Unless that has changed?

In 16 years Raleigh has gone from 275k residents to almost 460k. I would say it's most definitely changed.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:04 PM

445 posts, read 414,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
As far as Austin goes it is a cute city but has little to no sophistication as it is mostly a college and/or government town. I travel to Austin and work there 5-10 times per year na enjoy my time there, but the lack of sophistication compared to SoCal is huge and compared to Dallas it is much less.
Not sure what you mean by sophistication. My definition of sophistication is not showing off money when you have plenty of it, and Austin is much better than Dallas in that respect. It's not a college/government only town, every major tech company has a big presence here and they made a lot of people wealthy, though not like bay area, and those people don't show off the money like the Dallas people do.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:43 PM

420 posts, read 403,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
Not sure what you mean by sophistication. My definition of sophistication is not showing off money when you have plenty of it, and Austin is much better than Dallas in that respect. It's not a college/government only town, every major tech company has a big presence here and they made a lot of people wealthy, though not like bay area, and those people don't show off the money like the Dallas people do.
Anyone who would put Pasadena ahead of La Jolla, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, Encinitas or the heights on Poway as "acceptable" cities to live in is obviously confused anyway.

Sophistication isn't about the price tag on the car you drive, but it is to that poser. You know what they say about guys with pricy cars at that age though...

Old 07-09-2017, 09:10 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
I don't think that's what that poster meant by "sophistication." But of course an Austinite can't help himself from bashing and stereotyping Dallas. It's a pastime down there.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:20 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
I live in San Diego and can totally understand OP's problem. California is so extremely leftist, it is beyond oppressive. If you are conservative, Republican or however you want to call it, you cannot express your views openly or you will be completely shunned or worse. Unless you live here, it is very difficult to describe but it is true. California is no "live and let live" place...if you are conservative you will be hated and your voice will be shut down. Oh, and the state is broke too.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:54 AM

420 posts, read 403,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I don't think that's what that poster meant by "sophistication." But of course an Austinite can't help himself from bashing and stereotyping Dallas. It's a pastime down there.
Read the posts again bro.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:32 AM

385 posts, read 324,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I live in San Diego and can totally understand OP's problem. California is so extremely leftist, it is beyond oppressive. If you are conservative, Republican or however you want to call it, you cannot express your views openly or you will be completely shunned or worse. Unless you live here, it is very difficult to describe but it is true. California is no "live and let live" place...if you are conservative you will be hated and your voice will be shut down. Oh, and the state is broke too.
Many of these same things could be said of Texas -- but turn the dial 180 degrees.
1) Texas is extremely rightist -- TX is one of only eight states that allow students to carry guns into campus buildings.
2) This summer, the state legislature is trying to pass a "bathroom" hill (think North Carolina, only TX is more serious about passing it).
3) Many things about the state are broken -- like the concept of government representing people. E.g., residents of Denton county in a referendum voted to ban fracking, and Governor Abbott passed a state law nullifying this local decision. Which raises all types of thorny questions about local municipalities having even a modicum of local control.

So it cuts both ways -- let's just say extremism and intolerance are always unacceptable. We got to do better.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
Many of these same things could be said of Texas -- but turn the dial 180 degrees.
1) Texas is extremely rightist -- TX is one of only eight states that allow students to carry guns into campus buildings.
2) This summer, the state legislature is trying to pass a "bathroom" hill (think North Carolina, only TX is more serious about passing it).
3) Many things about the state are broken -- like the concept of government representing people. E.g., residents of Denton county in a referendum voted to ban fracking, and Governor Abbott passed a state law nullifying this local decision. Which raises all types of thorny questions about local municipalities having even a modicum of local control.

So it cuts both ways -- let's just say extremism and intolerance are always unacceptable. We got to do better.
Fact check:
1). 10 states allow low restriction carry on campus - not eight. Several more states (23?) allow campus carry under certain circumstances, university approval and storage in cars. Campus carry is outright banned in 17 states and that number is falling every year.

2). Liberal states tend to impose more state control over localities than places like Texas. In great part the effort to ban fracking bans was needed as in many towns 1 or 2 people run the show. Couple that with the outright serial lying by a couple of anti-oil people around Denton - one guy who ran an anti-oil outfit said in public over and over that Texas had less than 25,000 oil and gas jobs - he was silly enough to put in i writing as well, Dallas' non-ban-ban and several other oddball issues and you get what happened.

Finally, my wife and I have a place in SF and are there good bit. CA is a place where, right now, state DEMOCRATIC leaders are receiving DEATH THREATS from irrational left wingers because a socialized medicine bill was dropped. It's just not reasonable to compare Texas' combination of libertarianism and conservatism with CA's rapidly expanding left wing irrationality.

Dan Patrick really is a nut and he's scary. Leland Yee is in prison because as an avowed anti-gun CA politician
he was trying to sell weapons to Muslim terror groups in the Philippines..........

Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
I have no idea what was going on in the Denton anti fracking movement or what crazy stuff they're doing in CA plus my husband works in the oil and gas industry. I still think that cities residents should have the right to ban fracking and that under Abbott the state is working to take the right to make decisions from their residents which is wrong. I'm not a fan of a bag ban but if a city or town wishes to ban them that's their choice. To me the state government looks like a bunch of hypocrites whining about the federal government while they're doing the same thing they accuse the federal government of doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas