Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 AM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I have no idea what was going on in the Denton anti fracking movement or what crazy stuff they're doing in CA plus my husband works in the oil and gas industry. I still think that cities residents should have the right to ban fracking and that under Abbott the state is working to take the right to make decisions from their residents which is wrong. I'm not a fan of a bag ban but if a city or town wishes to ban them that's their choice. To me the state government looks like a bunch of hypocrites whining about the federal government while they're doing the same thing they accuse the federal government of doing.

Point taken.

They may look like hypocrites but a quick study of state v. federal and state v. city/town rights in the context of history puts that idea to bed quickly. There was an interesting piece in one of the papers a while back from an SMU political science guy about all this. I'll see if I can find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 09:21 AM

445 posts, read 414,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I don't think that's what that poster meant by "sophistication." But of course an Austinite can't help himself from bashing and stereotyping Dallas. It's a pastime down there.
What do you think the poster meant by sophistication? And he arrived at that decision just by visiting the place few times. I lived in Dallas and Austin long enough to know both places. Sometimes you have to see things from a distance to understand what's going on

Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
They may look like hypocrites but a quick study of state v. federal and state v. city/town rights in the context of history puts that idea to bed quickly.
No, because in the past there were city states, so any look back into 'history' that drew a distinction between city/state/federal law would be necessarily limiting to come up with any conclusions. In short, they've all been done historically with different consequences.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:11 AM

964 posts, read 878,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
What do you think the poster meant by sophistication? And he arrived at that decision just by visiting the place few times. I lived in Dallas and Austin long enough to know both places. Sometimes you have to see things from a distance to understand what's going on
Not at all what I meant by sophistication. Once again this forum has. a bunch of bullies that think they know what someone else meant, think they know what someone else finds acceptable, think they know what is desirable to me, think they know what I look for in a city (hint:not just upscale). I have been to Austin about 40 times and when we decided to move to TX we looked at Austin/SA, Dallas, and Houston. Dallas won out for us. Austin was #2 and Houston #3. It doesn't mean I hate Houston. IF I do hate Houston who cares.

The best advice is you do you and STOP WORRYING ABOUT ME.

I find LA, Seattle, SF, NY, and Boston far more sophisticated than Dallas, but I would choose Dallas to live in easily over all of those places. In fact I have done so since I can live anywhere in the US that I want. Austin has little to no sophistication. So what. OP will either know what I am talking about or he won't. Either way he can make his own decision.

You can certainly tell by the poster that thinks that I believe what kind of car someone has means they are sophisticated. No what kind of car a person has when they can afford any car means that is the kind of car they like. that poster thinks I drive a $120,000 car to impress someone. I drive that car because I like that car. I keep it for 2 years and then I buy another car I like. Some people like and want nice things. Some people want to get to the point where they can live frugally and get by for the rest of their life. I have no interest in that. OP can discern from my OP my line of thinking. If it fits his then great. If not then that is great too. What I won't do is get butt hurt over how someone else feels about Austin, Dallas, LA, etc. because I really don't care how they feel. I only care how I feel about those places.

Last edited by kyam11; 07-10-2017 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 10:14 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
I feel like the reasons the OP wants to leave San Diego are so petty and so ridiculous. Sounds like he's bored more than anything!

I mean to move to Dallas from SD? What a downgrade!

You will still find plenty of liberal types in Dallas too. Most large-ish cities within the US are usually Democratic leaning.

The Chargers are leaving? Some playground Moms want their kids growing up gender neutral? I mean, who cares!
If you dont like marijuana, don't smoke it! lol.
You have beautiful weather, a beautiful property, beautiful views! Your kids have access to beautiful nature and ocean and beaches and u wanna move to Dallas? So they can have better values more aligned with yours? Um, OK, well teach your kids your values, dont expect the city of Dallas or San Diego to do that. You do that, not a city or state.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 AM

964 posts, read 878,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I feel like the reasons the OP wants to leave San Diego are so petty and so ridiculous. Sounds like he's bored more than anything!

I mean to move to Dallas from SD? What a downgrade!

You will still find plenty of liberal types in Dallas too. Most large-ish cities within the US are usually Democratic leaning.

The Chargers are leaving? Some playground Moms want their kids growing up gender neutral? I mean, who cares!
If you dont like marijuana, don't smoke it! lol.
You have beautiful weather, a beautiful property, beautiful views! Your kids have access to beautiful nature and ocean and beaches and u wanna move to Dallas? So they can have better values more aligned with yours? Um, OK, well teach your kids your values, dont expect the city of Dallas or San Diego to do that. You do that, not a city or state.
Ok. So what if he is bored. Why is that a problem? I consider Dallas a huge upgrade over San Diego and I grew up in SoCal. You don't and that is OK too. Why do people feel the need to use their criteria on where someone should live instead of just saying their reasons why they like and don't like some place and move on? You don't need to answer that. If OP wants to move to Dallas because he's bored so what. Certainly his choice and certainly his right.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 AM

537 posts, read 598,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I live in San Diego and can totally understand OP's problem. California is so extremely leftist, it is beyond oppressive. If you are conservative, Republican or however you want to call it, you cannot express your views openly or you will be completely shunned or worse. Unless you live here, it is very difficult to describe but it is true. California is no "live and let live" place...if you are conservative you will be hated and your voice will be shut down. Oh, and the state is broke too.
Funny how that works. I'm an independent moderate so have no skin in the game, but I've noticed that conservatives on the west coast are absolutely demonized and attacked. If you're a conservative you better keep it a secret. Politics in California are insane and seem like something straight out of the Onion. The east coast liberals are more sane although it's starting to get a bit ridiculous in New York and some other New England states as well. But at least conservatives in New York are treated like humans. Most of the time. New Yorkers are all about business and will still mingle with conservatives if there's something to be gained out of it.

If you're a liberal in a conservative area you might be belittled behind your back, but for the most part you're still accepted.

As a moderate, this pattern seems to be pushing me away from the more liberal areas and I find myself more comfortable in Texas than I was in New York.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
If you lived in other cities in other states then I think you would know where that poster is coming from. Since you lived in Austin, you automatically have a bias. Austin is a very provincial city with an inflated sense of self. There's an arrogant and smug mentality there that believes that they are a utopia and everywhere else is filled with problems. If I didn't have friends there, I would never visit. Maybe Dallas was like that in the 80s.... but today it's is a take it or leave it place. People in Austin get really upset if you critique their city.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:43 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
I don't know about that. My husband is agnostic and last week the wife of one of his business colleagues sent him a pamphlet about Jesus and hell along with a card saying that she's praying for him and that if he would like to discuss God and Jesus with her that here's her phone number. He's never met the woman. Last spring he attended a father/child campout through the local YMCA. While the kids were asleep the dads hung around the campout. For some reason the dad who was in charge of the group asked my husband about his views on evolution. My husband who knows quite a lot about science told him that evolution was true and why. The guy then proceeded to verbally harass my husband while the other fathers stayed silent. Some of the dads later told my husband that the guy was out of line but that was too late. They should have backed my husband up earlier.

Last edited by tcualum; 07-10-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 12:18 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I don't know about that. My husband is agnostic and last week the wife of one of his business colleagues sent him a pamphlet about Jesus and hell along with a card saying that she's praying for him and that if he would like to discuss God and Jesus with her that here's her phone number. He's never met the woman. Last spring he attended a father/child campout through the local YMCA. While the kids were asleep the dads hung around the campout. For some reason the dad who was in charge of the group asked my husband about his views on evolution. My husband who knows quite a lot about science told him that evolution was true and why. The guy then proceeded to verbally harass my husband while the other fathers stayed silent. Some of the dads later told my husband that the guy was out of line but that was too late. They should have backed my husband up earlier.
This suprises me....Not. DFW has lots of evangelical Christians.

Christians(esp Evangelicals) believe that it is their divine duty to make other people Christians. Especially 'Lost' sheep like your husband. (And i say this with the utmost respect). The lady is probably genuinely concerned for your husband...really. Lol.

Oh and Science ( in all its forms) can be a hot button issue here. That caught me off guard when i first got here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas