Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:40 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times

Advertisements

OP, after reading your post #37, I have better insight. You want a sense of community for your family that is conserviative and hope there is a part of the country in a warm climate, near a city, that offers all this. I get it. But, in reality, most people find that "bubble" in which to raise familities among carefully nurtured circles of friends developed through church or school or other activities.

I lived in Logan, UT last summer and it amazed me how much common shared values, such as the Morman Church, influenced local society and even shops and restaurants... even in large Salt Lake City. However, I think in today's world, a city that is experiencing great economic growth and a huge influx of corporate transfers is shaky at best in representing the community you seek.

Its every parent's mission to develop the values of their kids. You do this by developing your own culture and building your own bubble with a strong circle of friends developed thru school, activities, faith, culture, travel. Raising your kids in a beautiful place at odds with your family values could give your kids a lot of skills in managing their lives when they navigate the world.

I'd stay put and explore private schools, summer camps, church, volunteering, travel......

Last edited by WorldKlas; 07-08-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 10:04 AM

101 posts, read 139,981 times
DFW is as expensive as California? Did I read that correctly above? Well, DFW is nowhere close to South Orange County prices (maybe you were thinking the Inland Empire in CA). Lived in DFW for over 30 years and I'm in Laguna Beach now. Can't compare the two with respect to housing costs (property taxes are 1.1% here, so I'll give you that), insurance, utilities and gas. I digress. That won't matter for OP. OP, you wouldn't want to live in Dallas proper then because you will think you're back in San Diego (politically speaking). Highland park would be a good fit for you (affluent wealthy families with conservative values). It's in the middle of the city and very close to downtown. Dallas has lots of culture, shopping, great restaurant scene, sports teams, but lacking in natural beauty and weather. I would have never left Dallas had it not been for the heat, mosquitos, and the ugly landscape. No mountains or hills to look at; just flat. Vast concrete jungles in most of the city save White Rock area in East Dallas and parts of Preston Hollow. Otherwise, I love Dallas! Very cosmopolitan. Great museums, symphony, opera house, you name it. You may have a hard time adjusting to the weather and not being able to play outside six months out of the year because it gets hot! Hot as inland here in So California but humid too! Makes it feel hotter. I would find a prettier place to live and raise my kids. Oh, and no, schools are not good in Dallas (except Lakewood, but it's bursting at the seams and many professionals in Lakewood opt for private chill). Highland Park and University Park ISD were fantastic, but otherwise you would more than likely do private school because of Dallas school ranks. (Not talking about schools in the suburbs--talking about the city itself) We did the opposite of what you want to do and came to Laguna because I couldn't stand the climate and the ugly natural scape of DFW any longer. But if those three factors don't bother you, go for it! You're living the dream and congratulations for all of your success.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:14 AM

455 posts, read 578,998 times
When you account for the now high prices of homes in DFW, add in high property tax and tollroads and crazy high electric bills and that you earn 20 percent less, could be even less. California looks pretty attractive.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:51 AM

101 posts, read 139,981 times
We paid $.12/kWH and pay $.30 in Tier 2. Try $10 on 73 (toll) everyday one way. Try car insurance 2x what it costs in Dallas (I just paid it in March and had to look at the quote twice). I moved in February and am comparing prices to what we're paying in Laguna. Dallas is cheap by comparison! You can't find a four bedroom house with a tiny yard at least 2,800 sq ft here under $1.2mill (unless you have to spend $250k to bring it up to date and take care of termites and mold). My 3,200 sq ft home with pool across from white rock lake is $540k. My 4,400 sq ft home in The Woodlands is $790k. I can't get near those square footages here without dishing out $1.8-$2.2 (and we're talking no mountain or ocean views). And you earn less here (before considering the 13% state income tax). It's a misconception that they pay more here because of COL. I'm at attorney so I can speak about salaries at BigLaw comparing Dallas to Irvine (Orange County), and my husband an EE. Both dime a dozen! Too many people here needing work and willing to do it cheap. DFW salaries are higher. We're living it and that's what my statements are based on--not from reading articles and relying on what friends said. OP, take a look at The Woodlands (an hour north of Dallas). We lived there and enjoyed it for four years. It's a pine forest (somewhat) so it's pretty. Look at options inside Carlton Woods in The Woodlands. Great schools and very conservative.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timaay View Post
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, it's very much appreciated. I think I'm understanding your points of illustration. Again, we will most definitely visit and experience the metroplex for ourselves to see how it feels.

Regarding the discussion about liberals versus Democrats etc... One poster felt it necessary to comment on the gay community influencing our children, etc... And to reply to that we simply don't care and are not predjudiced nor do we hate any type of person... Again we just choose to be around people that share our values and our beliefs, is that so wrong? We don't hate anyone nor do we judge anyone, we just want to live a certain way and want our kids to grow up a certain way, why is that such a bad thing? You go live your life the way you want to and we will do the same... Deal?

I think in general we do love the scenery here, the out doors, the beaches, the weather, but not the people. It's just not about us though (hence this post) it's about what's best for our little kiddos which is what we are trying to figure out. I could care less about relaxing on the beach enjoying my "success" if it's the wrong thing to do for my children. While we have enough to live in the top 1% of this area I just need to know that it's the right thing to do in terms of raising my kids. I totally get that every place has it's drawbacks and concerns we just want to live in an area that values family and hopefully has people that we can connect with and trust based on liked mindedness.

Since the responses have been all over the place in regard to what Dallas is about maybe you can consider a more specific question? Does anyone have any experience with the town of Westlake? We have heard great things about it as well as the gated community of Vaquero. Any thoughts about it that we should consider?

Again thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated.
I read the entire thread so as not to repeat on what others have said already, but i just might.

What a lot of posters are trying to nicely tell you is the world is a large place. Dallas is not what you seem convinced it is and you might end up moving only to be dissatisfied. If this is really, truly about the kids, and not about you trying to find an ideal conservative niche for yourself , there would be no need to move from the entire state of California. There are plenty of conservative leaning places in California as there are liberal leaning areas in Texas. The DFW area is going through lots of changes and you will find that many of the people you seem to want to get away from are moving here in droves. Also, several other states meet your requirements that you seem not to be considering.

If you are hell bent on DFW then Vaquero is an ideal place to isolate yourself and your family. Its also surrounded by nothingness for miles which may or may not bother you. I don't know that moving to a place where it's difficult for your kids to socialize much with other kids ( of whatever stripe) is necessarily best for them but ymmv. Also given the number of athletes and other public profile people that live there, its may not be a conservative haven either. It likely is, but there's no guarantee of that.

Parents are the biggest influencers of their children and i think your fears that liberalness may rub off on your kids are probably unfounded. You can also guard against that by enrolling them in religious private schools etc, as others suggested. Pushing one world view on your kids too hard also frequently backfires when adulthood happens so that's something else to consider. Whatever it is you decide, make sure you weigh ALL your options, as you have quite a few (many lots better than Westlake) rather than making DFW the only one.

Last edited by BLDSoon; 07-08-2017 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
When you account for the now high prices of homes in DFW, add in high property tax and tollroads and crazy high electric bills and that you earn 20 percent less, could be even less. California looks pretty attractive.
20% less? I assume you made that up.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:27 AM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
Please stop it. For one cost of living adjusted incomes here are higher than California and have been for many years. That isn't changing anytime soon.

This may be over your head but trust me it's really important and explains in part why the working poor and medium income people have been fleeing CA in droves for a couple of decades.......median income purchasing power in CA is $44,900 the same in TX is $53,100 - data from The Census Bureau, The BLS and C2ER and Advisor Perspectives.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:52 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
Honestly based on what I've read here I think Colorado Springs might be a better fit. It's more expensive than Dallas, but less expensive than Southern California. It has a fairly conservative reputation, and as an added bonus isn't an outdoor wasteland like DFW.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:48 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Id say that, DFW (especially the Dallas side of the Metroplex) is more multicultural than it is conservative. Dallas itself isnt conservative at all. On the contrary, its quite liberal. You can find many conservative suburbs, but the area as a whole is moving left more so than right.
Well, of course. That's the inevitable (and intended) result of the central government's immigration policy. While natives shift to the right as they gradually realize they're losing their country, that shift is more than offset by the importation of people to vote for the left.

As for Dallas itself (including the Park Cities), it's like almost all of the rest of Texas. The whites are overwhelmingly conservative (except in Lakewood), and the non-whites are the reverse.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 07-08-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 12:50 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Texas conservatism is not the same as much other conservatism. Even our bedrock cowboy-church Lubbock-DEEP-RED conservative types have a much broader libertarian streak in them than is common elsewhere.
Not when it comes to drugs. Outside the big cities, they take illegal drug use very seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas