Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:07 PM

420 posts, read 403,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Excellent post. That is the reality for many North Texans. All the Californians flocking to North Texas keep bragging about how their quality of life has improved while most of those of us who were already here are lamenting how unliveable and unaffordable it has become since the flood of big companies and inflated salaried transplants from Califronia has hit North Texas.
No such thing as an inflated salary. There's a prevailing wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 02:31 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
No such thing as an inflated salary. There's a prevailing wage.
But the prevailing wage in CA areas where people are moving from for these types of jobs is noticeably higher than the prevailing wage in TX for the same type of job. So from a Texan's point of view, it seems like Californian's are moving in with very high salaries and lots of money from selling a home in CA and contributing to house price appreciation here.

I know a guy that works in TI that said the resources TI moved from CA did not have their salaries reduced from the CA level. He speculated (or knows, not sure) that they would simply get minimal or no salary increases until their salaries leveled out with what a comparable TX salary would be for the position.

I have no idea if Toyota and other companies approached it the same way but if they did that would support the idea that Californians that are job-relocated here are getting the benefit of moving in with a salary advantage over locals.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:48 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Per the CPI inflation calculator, your house has barely beat inflation as $175 in 1992 would be $310 today. And that's after a basically huge run-up since 2007 and the city growing at a pretty healthy pace that entire time.
Yeah, per the rule of 72's, a doubling in 25 years means a return just under 3%. That's hardly some wild and crazy rate of appreciation. As you note, it only marginally beats inflation during a period characterized for the most part by the lowest inflation rates since Eisenhower was president.

Although home prices have certainly spiked the last few years, over the prior 20+ it's been a very slow increase overall.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
But the prevailing wage in CA areas where people are moving from for these types of jobs is noticeably higher than the prevailing wage in TX for the same type of job. So from a Texan's point of view, it seems like Californian's are moving in with very high salaries and lots of money from selling a home in CA and contributing to house price appreciation here.

I know a guy that works in TI that said the resources TI moved from CA did not have their salaries reduced from the CA level. He speculated (or knows, not sure) that they would simply get minimal or no salary increases until their salaries leveled out with what a comparable TX salary would be for the position.

I have no idea if Toyota and other companies approached it the same way but if they did that would support the idea that Californians that are job-relocated here are getting the benefit of moving in with a salary advantage over locals.
Not necessarily true. The median job at Toyota HQ here pays right around $100-110k (including benefits) which is exactly in line with the median wages at the other national HQ's located in the Legacy corridor.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:59 PM

92 posts, read 117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not necessarily true. The median job at Toyota HQ here pays right around $100-110k (including benefits) which is exactly in line with the median wages at the other national HQ's located in the Legacy corridor.
Is that the same figure they were earning in Torrance, Erlanger and NY?

Better question, what did the typical relocation package look like for non-executives?

Old 07-10-2017, 04:16 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post

Across large numbers that's just not right. Purchasing power adjusted wages at median income are ~20% higher in Texas than CA.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Yeah...prevailing wages are not any high in LA outside the film industry for people in higher ups.

Compare Torrance and Plano:

Average Salary in Torrance: $50,772
Average Salary in Plano: $60,573

Compare Dallas and Los Angeles:

Average Salary in Dallas: $59,733
Average Salary in Los Angeles: $62,152

PayScale - Salary Comparison, Salary Survey, Search Wages

So the argument being made is absolutely ridiculous. People buy houses by saving longer not because they are paid more in Southern California.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:09 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Across large numbers that's just not right. Purchasing power adjusted wages at median income are ~20% higher in Texas than CA.
Is that because salaries are higher in Texas, cost of living is lower, or both? I was working off the assumption that overall cost of living was lower, which makes me assume that salaries should also be somewhat lower in Texas. No doubt, I didn't look it up - ideally we'd be able to look just at the salaries of the jobs relocated from there to here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Yeah...prevailing wages are not any high in LA outside the film industry for people in higher ups.

Compare Torrance and Plano:

Average Salary in Torrance: $50,772
Average Salary in Plano: $60,573

Compare Dallas and Los Angeles:

Average Salary in Dallas: $59,733
Average Salary in Los Angeles: $62,152

PayScale - Salary Comparison, Salary Survey, Search Wages

So the argument being made is absolutely ridiculous. People buy houses by saving longer not because they are paid more in Southern California.
I don't know what "higher ups" means exactly, and I'm not too sure it has much to do with the average salary of either place. But, given that we don't have access to the salaries of the relocated jobs I'm definitely just speculating based on it not making sense for anyone to live anywhere in CA with higher cost of living if they're not making more there to at least partially off-set it.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Train View Post
Is that the same figure they were earning in Torrance, Erlanger and NY?

Better question, what did the typical relocation package look like for non-executives?
Toyota had such a high % of people accept the relo offers that I can't imagine anyone took a paycut to move here. I'm just going off what has been published in the DMN and DBJ about median salaries and comparing it to my extensive knowledge of several of the Legacy corridor HQ payscales.

I don't know what specifically the relo package included but from what I've gathered on here, included at least one paid for trip to check out the DFW/ Plano area, assigned relocation realtors, short term housing for some of the early employees who relocated in prior years, and the general cross country pack & move services a major HQ relo tends to offer.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:14 PM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post

A recent Dallas Morning News "business section" lamented that housing market "started" at $350,000 (I think this was for true for the broader Dallas area?) Our 2-story brick house was purchased for 175,000 in 1992, and according to Collin County appraisal district, is now worth 350,000. Many apartments have high rents. You may think rising home prices are great, but TX has the 7th highest property taxes among the 50 states. Don't look at absence of state income tax, look at the total tax burden in any given state. TX isn't horrible, but it is no longer the bargain it once was.
While not your fault this is very misleading. While TX might be considered to have the 7th highest property tax and if you compare $350,000 in Collin County to $350,000 in CA, TX runs much higher, it is not a good comparison. Your $350,000 house in a like type city in CA would run you $1.5M or more. This means that in Collin County you probably pay $8000-$9000 but in CA you would pay over $16,000. I always tell anyone compare what you would actually live in when looking at TX vs CA. It is an extreme bargain still. Next go look at the top 20 populous cities in America (meaning that is where the jobs will be) and then compare how much a similar house in a similar type city runs you as far as property taxes go and if you remove the TX and Southern cities (Atlanta) it is a real bargain in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas