Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 AM

964 posts, read 880,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's not a free forum though; there are moderators here who work pretty hard at keeping forums relevant to their titled subject matter. IMHO these constant comparisons between Dallas & California don't belong here, they belong somewhere else. Most people here don't really care about how much your Flower Mound house would cost in Malibu or Santa Monica.
No they probably don't care, but you see someone saying CA is only 2x as much when in reality it is 4x (or more) as much. Comparing Plano to Riverside is ludicrous, but if no one says anything then most will think that is a valid comparison. The subject here is DFW RE market. Comparing the DFW market to multiple other markets is surely on subject. If you don't like it ignore it or move on.

If you don't think the comparisons belong here then don't make those comparisons here, but it isn't your job or my job to decide what I think people should post about here. Now if you post about the best color of puppies then that would be off subject, but anything related to DFW RE is certainly on subject, even comparisons.

I have no interest in Amazon's second HQ, yet I certainly don't care that people post about it, nor do I care about the multitude of subjects that are likely being posted about on that thread so I ignore it and/or don't post in the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:56 AM

8,172 posts, read 3,717,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
No they probably don't care, but you see someone saying CA is only 2x as much when in reality it is 4x (or more) as much. Comparing Plano to Riverside is ludicrous, but if no one says anything then most will think that is a valid comparison. The subject here is DFW RE market. Comparing the DFW market to multiple other markets is surely on subject. If you don't like it ignore it or move on.

If you don't think the comparisons belong here then don't make those comparisons here, but it isn't your job or my job to decide what I think people should post about here. Now if you post about the best color of puppies then that would be off subject, but anything related to DFW RE is certainly on subject, even comparisons.

I have no interest in Amazon's second HQ, yet I certainly don't care that people post about it, nor do I care about the multitude of subjects that are likely being posted about on that thread so I ignore it and/or don't post in the thread.

While comparing the suburbs of Dallas, or Dallas metro as a whole to South Bay or Malibu makes all the sense?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,350,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
While comparing the suburbs of Dallas, or Dallas metro as a whole to South Bay or Malibu makes all the sense?
Right?!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well if you are comparing high end suburbs of DFW to high end suburbs of LA then yes it does. If you are comparing Carrollton to Malibu then no. However the type of people that would live in West Plano, Highland Park, Uptown, Southlake, Coppell, etc would likely live in places like Malibu, Hancock Park, Pasadena, San Marino, La Canada, Laguna, Newport, etc..

If you live in a place like Grapevine, then places like Arcadia, Glendale, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, are good comparisons.

Foe someone like numbersguy a few pages ago he is not likely to move from where he is to Riverside (if he had to move to CA) thus a bad comparison. He is likely to choose places like Malibu, San Marino, La Canada, etc which is what he pointed out that it would cost in the millions for him to find a desirable home.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:54 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,786,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Well if you are comparing high end suburbs of DFW to high end suburbs of LA then yes it does. If you are comparing Carrollton to Malibu then no. However the type of people that would live in West Plano, Highland Park, Uptown, Southlake, Coppell, etc would likely live in places like Malibu, Hancock Park, Pasadena, San Marino, La Canada, Laguna, Newport, etc..

If you live in a place like Grapevine, then places like Arcadia, Glendale, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, are good comparisons.

Foe someone like numbersguy a few pages ago he is not likely to move from where he is to Riverside (if he had to move to CA) thus a bad comparison. He is likely to choose places like Malibu, San Marino, La Canada, etc which is what he pointed out that it would cost in the millions for him to find a desirable home.
Wow, we agree again. Strange times.

The reason discussing things like CA real estate (or other locations) matters in this forum, or is at least relevant, is that we have tons of people who crow about corporate relocations (perfectly relevant). Then someone will inevitably say that DFW is too expensive to be attractive to employees at those places that are moving here. So it's relevant to point out that people are still getting a lot for their money here, even though those of us who have lived here a long time can't believe how high prices are getting. That involves discussing their alternatives in their existing location. A lot of the relocations are from CA, NY, etc. Hence it's relevant. Then someone will inevitably post about how as prices go up, people will stop moving here, or the people already here will begin to move away. So it's also relevant to those of us who could choose to live elsewhere to figure out what does our quality of life look like elsewhere given a certain income? How much income does it take in another city to replicate what we have here that we enjoy?

Don't confuse this post to imply that there aren't trade offs to moving from, for example, San Fran to Dallas. There obviously are. Nor do I want to see posts that solely focus on the various suburbs of other cities. But it's certainly relevant to point out that DFW's high end suburbs are very, very affordable against their peers in other large metros. That this topic doesn't interest some people is another point entirely.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM

455 posts, read 580,038 times
Quality of life isn't always about the cost of living. After leaving DFW, we now spend very little time at home.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
Quality of life isn't always about the cost of living. After leaving DFW, we now spend very little time at home.
Completely agree.

Having said that though

1) Less $ on housing gives you more $ to spend on things you enjoy, thus improving QOL.
2) A nicer house allows you for more amenities at your house which is where you and your kids will spend 50-70% of your time daily.
3) Cheaper homes give you a chance to send your kids to better schools (where they will spend 30% of their time)
4) Better access to live near where you work allows you to save a good 1 hr per day (maybe 2 hours)

I don't blame you for not spending as much time at home since $ for $ the homes suck in Seattle compared to DFW. $600K in DFW gives you the ability to have 3500sf with a home theater, a pool, a nice yard, play rooms, etc. in a high end suburb with superb amenities. $600K in Seattle gives you an decent starter type home in an average to below average suburb, thus I would want to get out also.

When I lived in SF I too spent very little time at home. It was because my house sucked comparatively speaking,

Last edited by kyam11; 09-12-2017 at 09:44 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,189,871 times
I think this fascination with "better" housing is what ruins our lives.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 AM

3,189 posts, read 2,078,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I think this fascination with "better" housing is what ruins our lives.
I don't necessarily agree but I see your point. Different people have different values as far as housing goes. Some would pay a lot of money for location/neighborhood/regional amenities, and don't need as many in-home amenities or space. Others don't care as much about location or the area, and want to maximize their level of in-home amenities.

Luckily we live in a country that offers both!

Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 AM

213 posts, read 183,850 times
Kudos to BigDGeek for pointing out the unnecessary discussions of California. I get the relevance in some threads, but all housing threads end up as the same, it seems. It would be nice to hear the experience of ppl from other states/countries moving to DFW, where the reasons weren't solely job opportunities and COL. This thread is probably not the place though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas