Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:33 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

A panic where people fill up cars can produce a shortage by itself. Add to that the refineries being down a few days and you have a real run out situation. The amount of extra gas it takes for more tanks to be full than normal can drop the refinery and distributor inventory substantially. If the refinery is operating they can adjust and make more gasoline to rebuild inventory. We cant with those refineries down of course.

I doubt the refineries were damaged by the winds of Harvey but the flooding is what caused many to shut down. Lets hope the water goes down fast but I hear many of the rivers have not crested yet and there is a dam in trouble in Tyler County to more than normal water is now being released there.. all this adds up longer times for water levels to recede.

Im retired and only drive to Golf and Church on Sunday. I can walk the less than half a mile to get groceries if needed. Relax and do not panic that only makes the shortage last longer as drivers insist on carrying around much more inventory than normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 01:51 PM

44 posts, read 70,119 times
I live in uptown and drove around the area to 12 gas stations all OUT! Went up 75 closer to Royal and 635 OUT no gas. Seems there is no gas anywhere. This my friends is a problem. Good luck

Old 08-31-2017, 02:11 PM

348 posts, read 830,946 times
Deliveries are taking longer because some of the distribution system is down, but there is no actual shortage. People heard about shortages and went out and made one happen. Deliveries will be coming in within a few days. There are huge amounts of gasoline inventories that can easily absorb the loss of production. If everyone buys all at once it would make stations run dry even in normal times. Prices will be going up because of reduced supply, but once we get through this panic, supplies will not be short.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,396 times
There is a panic, but no shortage. And from an interview I heard of a man who works in the industry, much of our north Texas supply comes from Cushing, OK.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:32 PM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
There is a panic, but no shortage. And from an interview I heard of a man who works in the industry, much of our north Texas supply comes from Cushing, OK.
So then where are the supply trucks delivering this plentiful gas??
I mean I understand if a few gas stations aren't getting gas but around the 75238 zip code there's hardly gas to be found. This is a real shortage even if it is due to crappy logistics and there are massive stockpiles in BFE, Oklahoma...

Old 08-31-2017, 02:39 PM

348 posts, read 830,946 times
It isn't short supply; it's excessive demand. Everyone is buying at the same time. I've seen people filling vehicle tanks and multiple gas cans. Problems would happen any time people do that. If we didn't have panic buying, we wouldn't have stations running out.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:41 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,566 times
This is utter nonesense.

If an 11% reduction in refinery can cause a real gas shortage...help us all if we ever have to deal with a real, far reaching catastrophe...even if it IS panic driven.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:53 PM

45 posts, read 32,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
According to Wikipedia Cushing OK It's one of the largest crude oil storage hubs on Earth, and in the U.S. not gasoline.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:01 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
It isn't short supply; it's excessive demand.
No. The gas station near my house ran out yesterday and was still out today. I think overnight is enough time to drive a truck from some place in Oklahoma if they had some to spare.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:05 PM

712 posts, read 842,202 times
yes - people are causing a panic out there on gas; reporters are now talking about it on radio and tv - adding 'fuel to the fire'.
I went to SAMS at lunchtime to pickup prescription - fuel station shut down (empty).

This store is normally empty during day, but parking lot was PACKED! ??? I had several minutes to burn while waiting for Rx, so i walked around; crazy people were packing carts with food - thats right, already panic food buying. Overheard several couples arguing 'how much to buy' - one couple was shoving 10 50# bags of RICE into two carts ?#?#?#?#? while talking about what they should load up next to have 'just in case' . .

Crazy!

Our fuel comes from all over:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas