Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie972 View Post
LOL. Enjoy your old house, I guess.

So if you were given a choice to have a new(>2005) house in North Dallas vs an old (1960 or around there) house in North Dallas (cost of both houses are the same), which one would you choose?
First, I wouldn't choose a home based on age alone. Plus, the 2005 era was horrific for new homes, almost as bad as the 1980's. Everything built then is that faux castle, dark brown wood, builder beige interior unless it's already had $100k+ of cosmetic updates done.

Second, a 1960's home and a new construction home in the same neighborhood won't be the same price. New homes in North Dallas are all in the 5-6k SF range and the largest old homes are 4K ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 08:10 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I think was like the term "touched" used to be ?
Yea. Pretty much.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 PM

487 posts, read 467,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Having lived in other, more affordable places, where the housing stock is better AND more affordable, the housing stock in general of most newer AND older homes in DFW is pretty iffy to me, for what most houses are currently priced or valued at in DFW. At this point, you're really just paying inflated prices to live in DFW, more so than for the quality of most of the homes in the area.
In comparison to Western North Carolina, where I do plenty of work....Dallas is still pretty affordable. Always comes down to supply and demand for pricing.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:55 AM

42 posts, read 35,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That only works on low information people. Around here much of the more expensive homes are older - North Dallas, Preston Hollow, Park Cities, Lakewood, Westover Hills and many more.
Exactly, so I don't know where she's getting cheaply built houses. If you are going to compare, compare something in your neighborhood or apple to apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Most old homes (1950's) in my area have the same floor plan as the brand new homes. They've either been updated to be open floor plan, high ceilings, entertaining oriented or they're tear downs. My house is 60+ years old but my roof, HVAC, and tankless water heaters are all <5 years old and Kitchen, baths, windows are <10 years old. It's basically a new home but with the original beautiful hardwoods and some nice character features like the tile floor in the hall bath (that looks like it came out of a current magazine, FWIW). Plus, we get the benefit of 60+ year old trees

An "old home" doesn't literally mean OLD HOME.

As for insulation, ours is just fine. Because it's not actually old.
Yes, we've covered this. Most likely your old house is not look to look new or have good insulation if you don't renovate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
First, I wouldn't choose a home based on age alone. Plus, the 2005 era was horrific for new homes, almost as bad as the 1980's. Everything built then is that faux castle, dark brown wood, builder beige interior unless it's already had $100k+ of cosmetic updates done.

Second, a 1960's home and a new construction home in the same neighborhood won't be the same price. New homes in North Dallas are all in the 5-6k SF range and the largest old homes are 4K ish.
We also have covered this. Where are you getting this data?
We all know new houses will cost more in the same neighborhood but that wasn't the argument.
She's saying that new houses are cheaply built and that's true if you look at cheap houses but that's not apple to apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: