Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 03:26 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Youth programs in those places don't come close to youth programs here. Our top 30 club teams for Soccer would beat every single midwest high school easily. Same goes for other sports. Of the top 10 youth soccer programs in any state in the Midwest 1 or 2 would be in our top 30.

We disagree on the experiences and I have experienced sports across the country as I used to travel 100 times per year for years.

You seem to find reasons why things aren't as good here. Most of use find things just as good or close to it as other places. I could not be happier in any other place. I feel for you that you are in a place you don't find as close the top as you could.

It's why I can't take your softening opinion seriously.

I told you why people are moving here, why I moved here, and why it won't soften. Bloomberg agrees. WSJ doesn't. We shall see.
Depends on the sport. I dont think there is a single Texas team in the HS Hockey top 500. But sure, Texas, Florida and California produce the majority of College football players.

I love our teams, im a big dallas sports guy, but ouside of the Cowboys none of our other sports have top 10 fan bases. I'm a big Stars fan, go to about a dozen games a year and the playoffs when we make them, but we arnt one of the better fan bases. Even other warm weather teans like Nashville have more hype in their town. We get totally flooded with Blackhawks, Blues, or Bruins fans whenever we play one of those teams.

We are a notoriously bad baseball town, and in Texas we have the 3rd best Basketball fan base, sadly.

I actually really like Dallas, but I think its important to understand where we acrually sit on things instead of assuming. Dallas offers great value on alot of things, but good value =/= top quality. In general, you get what you pay for or in this case, a little more than you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 03:31 PM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Depends on the sport. I dont think there is a single Texas team in the HS Hockey top 500. But sure, Texas, Florida and California produce the majority of College football players.

I love our teams, im a big dallas sports guy, but ouside of the Cowboys none of our other sports have top 10 fan bases. I'm a big Stars fan, go to about a dozen games a year and the playoffs when we make them, but we arnt one of the better fan bases. Even other warm weather teans like Nashville have more hype in their town. We get totally flooded with Blackhawks, Blues, or Bruins fans whenever we play one of those teams.

We are a notoriously bad baseball town, and in Texas we have the 3rd best Basketball fan base, sadly.

I actually really like Dallas, but I think its important to understand where we acrually sit on things instead of assuming. Dallas offers great value on alot of things, but good value =/= top quality. In general, you get what you pay for or in this case, a little more than you pay for.
I don't look at pro experiences as top 10 fanbases. I look at what appeals to the common man or common woman. My wife has no desire to go to Wrigley field or Fenway. She wants a nice good experience. She doesn't want to watch OSU Michigan in the 20s. She wants a great experience at Jerry World. If I take 10 people I know 8 of them are not rabid sports fans. They care more about comfort, food, amenities, etc. My wife has 3x the experience seeing two average college teams at Cowboys stadium than OSU Michigan in Ann Arbor. Wouldn't even compare. That applies to the masses as well. My wife would enjoy a Rangers game (especially at the new stadium) far more than Boston-Yankees. Before we were married she went to a Red Sox Yankee game in Boston and said it was terrible. Terrible food, terrible people, terrible bathrooms, old run down stadium, people yelling at each other, cussing everywhere, fights, etc. You think about you and only you. A $10 ticket where it isn't overcrowded to see a hockey game appeals to a lot more people than a crowded mess where someone spends $200 in an old stadium that takes forever to get out of.

Again I think about what appeals to the masses and not the rabid sports fan.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I don't look at pro experiences as top 10 fanbases. I look at what appeals to the common man or common woman. My wife has no desire to go to Wrigley field or Fenway. She wants a nice good experience. She doesn't want to watch OSU Michigan in the 20s. She wants a great experience at Jerry World. If I take 10 people I know 8 of them are not rabid sports fans. They care more about comfort, food, amenities, etc.

But you couldn't tell that to any Packers, OSU or Michigan fan, a Sox Fan, or a Cubs Fan. These fans wouldn't have it any other way.

Old Yankee Stadium was way better than the new one according to everyone I know who went to both. Babe Ruth actually played in the original one.

In fact a huge part of the appeal of the Red River Shootout is that it is in a "crappy" "hot" "old" Cotton Bowl.

But i get it you've spent your life in California and Texas which are known for casual sports fans. But why do you think we (the Cowboys) have the worst home field advantage in the NFL? More casuals.

Actually I think the issue with the cowboys is the opposit of the Stars, instead of having tickets that are really cheap because of low interest, they are very pricy which leads to less of the fun, rabbid fans being able to afford to go.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
A $10 ticket where it isn't overcrowded to see a hockey game appeals to a lot more people than a crowded mess where someone spends $200 in an old stadium that takes forever to get out of.

If it did indeed appeal to a lot more people they wouldn't cost $10. Supply and demand.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:15 PM

318 posts, read 337,758 times
Pretty big news McKesson coming to Irving, they’re #6 on the Fortune 500, Amazon is #8.

Not only that, but they’re coming from San Francisco which is double the amount of housing price in comparison from Toyota coming from Southern California.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:51 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
Pretty big news McKesson coming to Irving, they’re #6 on the Fortune 500, Amazon is #8.

Not only that, but they’re coming from San Francisco which is double the amount of housing price in comparison from Toyota coming from Southern California.
Time to buy in Irving!!

Old 12-03-2018, 05:22 AM

318 posts, read 337,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Time to buy in Irving!!
It’s actually Las Colinas,

I would suggest good school areas that are near the area. Coppell, Grapevine, Flowermound, parts of Irving that are zoned to Coppell ISD.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
It’s actually Las Colinas,

I would suggest good school areas that are near the area. Coppell, Grapevine, Flowermound, parts of Irving that are zoned to Coppell ISD.
Las Colinas is part of Irving.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

Oh man. I'm not going to argue with just make a few points. Forgive me for bouncing between couple of your posts.

1). Every year for years at least one or two or several local ice hockey teams are among the top 50 forget top 500. Jesuit nearly won its bracket in the USA Hockey High School tournament a few years ago and they've been several times. Last season Southlake (came in second in its pool and IIRC ended up tied for 5th overall) and Plano West (won it's pool) showed very well. Let's just say your 500 claim is profoundly wrong.

2). You are totally missing Kyam's point about youth club sports around here. It's not just that the leagues and teams exist as in other cities it's that the club sports teams here are excellent across most sports. Boys and girls club soccer here is just dominant, we've got 3 of the top several girls volleyball clubs in the country
right here etc. Just like my point about golf being great around here............your point about other cities having golf was correct but in how many of them is it workable to play 300+ days per year? The answer is very few.

3). As you love sports try Dallas Cup coming up in a couple months it's likely the world's top youth soccer gathering.

4). Pro sports here can't be too awful.
* Cowboys most valuable sports franchise in the world.
*Rangers after a historically bad season and heading into a full blown rebuild are the 13th most valuable MLB team.
*The Mavs after years of mediocrity or worse are the 9th most valuable NBA team.
*The Stars after bankruptcy/league ownership and years of frustration are the 13th most valuable NHL team and the most valuable team in the south by a lot - Nashville after two great seasons is worth much less.

I'm only saying the state of pro sports here is just fine.

5). I'd like to know why you think the greater arts scene here in DFW is on par with Metro-Denver?

Old 12-03-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Oh man. I'm not going to argue with just make a few points. Forgive me for bouncing between couple of your posts.

1). Every year for years at least one or two or several local ice hockey teams are among the top 50 forget top 500. Jesuit nearly won its bracket in the USA Hockey High School tournament a few years ago and they've been several times. Last season Southlake (came in second in its pool and IIRC ended up tied for 5th overall) and Plano West (won it's pool) showed very well. Let's just say your 500 claim is profoundly wrong.

2). You are totally missing Kyam's point about youth club sports around here. It's not just that the leagues and teams exist as in other cities it's that the club sports teams here are excellent across most sports. Boys and girls club soccer here is just dominant, we've got 3 of the top several girls volleyball clubs in the country
right here etc. Just like my point about golf being great around here............your point about other cities having golf was correct but in how many of them is it workable to play 300+ days per year? The answer is very few.

3). As you love sports try Dallas Cup coming up in a couple months it's likely the world's top youth soccer gathering.

4). Pro sports here can't be too awful.
* Cowboys most valuable sports franchise in the world.
*Rangers after a historically bad season and heading into a full blown rebuild are the 13th most valuable MLB team.
*The Mavs after years of mediocrity or worse are the 9th most valuable NBA team.
*The Stars after bankruptcy/league ownership and years of frustration are the 13th most valuable NHL team and the most valuable team in the south by a lot - Nashville after two great seasons is worth much less.

I'm only saying the state of pro sports here is just fine.

5). I'd like to know why you think the greater arts scene here in DFW is on par with Metro-Denver?
1-3)
I was going based on the current hockey rankings.

I would expect the 4th largest metro in the country to have good sports for kids. The point I have is unless your kid is going pro or a scholarship who cares if he or she plays in a super competitive league.

So what we have really good youth soccer? We are the 4th largest metro in the country. How do we compare to LA, NYC, Chicago, and Houston, those are our competitors as a top 5 city. Maybe we do hit above our weight on kids sports?

4)

We are the 4 the largest metro in the country. We have millions of more people than most cities that have teams. If we had average fans, that would make our sports tickets above average on price, due to the demand of people wanting to go to these games and place us in the value bracket according to our media market.

This of course does not happen.

Of course the Cowboys are world class. They are the only world class sports organization that we have in town.

The Rangers have a very casual fan base. Anyone who follows baseball would know that we have a reputation for that. Josh Hamilton threw that in our face when he left. It pissed so many people off because they knew it was true. Dallas, or Arlington are not baseball towns. It's the most popular team in the 2nd largest state. To only be valued at 13th is pretty embarrassing. Our team is worth less than the second most popular teams in NY, and LA. St Louis is worth quite a bit more. We are worth slightly more than Seattle, which is a much, much smaller city with a much, much smaller market and who arn't winning world series either.

4th largest metro, 2nd largest with only one team. 9th most valuable. The Mavs will prob go up in value with Luka, but still, 9th is hitting below our weight considering NY and LA are split cities, loyalty wise.

13th for the Stars can be looked at two ways: considering that hockey isn't popular with Texans, 13 seems ok, but considering we are the only team in the second largest state, that is pretty bad. What it really means is it's ok considering most people in the state are apathetic. Texas has below average hockey fans, but it's the south so I guess you can't blame them.

My point was never that these aren't fun teams or that you can't enjoy yourself at a game, I'm a Dallas sports fan. My point is for the 4th largest city, we punch under our own weight. We are a top 5 city and we are only top 5 in one sport. Lots of my friends from other places love it: you can see the Blackhawks or Blues for half or 1/4th of the cost in their home towns. You can see the Red Sox or Cubs play for 10 bucks.

As far as "Art Scene" I never said that, I said our museums and the arts are about on par with a Denver.

Dallas is too young to have the museum status of NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, DC or even Cleveland. LA being bigger has better museums, and San Francisco does as well.

Denver might have the nicest Natural History museum I've been to outside of DC, though Houston also has a very fine one. The Perot is really good, I'll take out of town guests there, but it's a little below Denver in my experience. I prefer the Kimball to the DMA as I think they have a better, if smaller collection, though I love the DMA and have been there, perhaps, two dozen times over the years. The Denver Musuem of art is about on par, and none of them touch the Art museums in NYC, Chicago, LA, Cleveland, Detroit, Philly, or Houston (in no particular order)

Though sheer volume of having two sets of museums, you might say Dallas beats Denver on quantity.

Some Smaller cities also have very highly ranked museums. Indianapolis has a fantastic children's museum or the Midway Museum in San Diego.

Dallas on it's own is no where near a top 10 museum city, but if you pull Fort Worth in and squint, really hard, it might barely make the top 10, mostly on quantity.

Thats what I call hitting below your weight, Detroit and Cleveland have better museums.

As far as the Performing arts go. It's cool to be in a city that has Opera and Ballet. I go to a show or two a year, but we aren't a top 5 city on that. It's questionable if we are top 10. Again, it's there, but cities with a few million less people have better Performing arts reputations which means at #4 we are punching below our weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas