Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 05:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times

Advertisements

Black culture is something that can’t be defined. I’m a fanatic sports fan. Much of the DFW area including its black population is highly sports driven. Give me sports any day over clubbing.

Sports have played a huge part of black culture. Dallas is hot bed for producing NBA talent.
NBA talent
Kenyon Martin (Dallas), retired
Spud Web (Dallas) retired
LaMarcus Aldridge, Seagoville (Dallas)
Deron Williams, The Colony (Texas)
Chris Bosh, Lincoln (Dallas)
Darrell Arthur, South Oak Cliff (Dallas)
Wesley Johnson, Corsicana (Texas)

Figures show that the Dallas area produce more NBA talent then any metro in the South. Of course the majority of NBA talent comes from the Northeast and West coast but Dallas is no slouch in that category.

https://www.google.com/search?q=area...&bih=591&dpr=3

DFW is also a hotbed in producing NFL top talent. In fact during the 2017 draft 247sports stated The Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex has always been known as a hotbed for talent, but the top-end quality it produced in the 2017 NFL Draft class is astounding.
Garrett, the top overall pick, hails from Arlington (just west of Dallas). Thomas, third overall to the 49ers, is from Coppell (just north of Dallas). Adams, the sixth selection of the draft, is from Hebron (just north of Dallas).
Even Whitehouse, where Mahomes is from, is just a two-hour drive from Dallas.

Other areas might have produced more total players than DFW, but no portion of the country shaped more top-of-the draft talent.

https://247sports.com/Article/2017-N...ends-52571741/

Dallas has always been strong in Track and field. One of the greatest athletes of all time Track and field great Michael Johnson is straight out of Dallas.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM

315 posts, read 300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirlTrynaMove View Post
Hello, Im looking into moving to Texas. Looking at Dallas or Houston? Im a single, black, 31yo, Finance professional, woman with no kids.

I've been living in Atlanta, GA since college. Looking for a city where ppl actually want to start families, not just frequent clubs. HOWEVER, I don't want to move where absolutely nothing is happening either. I still want the option to go to lounges, museums, or an occassional day party. I LOVE black culture but diversity is cool too. I am looking to get married and want to move somewhere condusive to meeting young professional blacks. You know the deal with Atlanta. There's like 6 women to 1 man. Also, a lot of guys are gay. (I'm sorry but it's true). Single straight guys act like kids in a candy store. LOL. Hell I can't blame them. I know each city will have its own set of challenges. What's the deal with Dallas and Houston?

Give me your opinion on which city (Dallas or Houston) best suites me (especially for dating).
Diana I know a lot more of the black corporate crowd are in the Dallas area. As far as where the black single men are concentrated it's more around the Addison and West Plano area.

City Data actually has a map page with filters that'll show you which parts of Dallas or Houston metro where the african-american population, single men, or professionals are concentrated. Check out the link below:

//www.city-data.com/

...then scroll down to the Interactive Map

Old 08-18-2018, 09:52 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You and some others my jump on my head, but I think the margin between Houston and Dallas is wider than “not by a wide margin.”

To your question, Missouri City, Pearland, Fresno, Stafford, and parts of Richmond are similar to DeSoto and Duncanville. However, the city of Houston has the same population as Dallas County, which means that some areas in the city have middle class black neighborhoods like Third Ward around the bayou. There are places like Spring, Humble, Atascocita, and 1960 W on the northside that have large middle class black areas. In many others, there’s an even split among the 4 races like parts of Cypress, Katy, and the Energy Corridor.
For someone who just moved to Houston not long ago, you sure act as if you're an expert on Texas culture lol.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:32 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
For someone who just moved to Houston not long ago, you sure act as if you're an expert on Texas culture lol.
...oh you noticed this too?

Old 08-18-2018, 08:12 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Keep on. What else, sweetheart?

Old 08-19-2018, 10:10 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
LMAO. I’ve called that out myself.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:52 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Y’all know the one to gang on huh? lol. Folks draaaaaaag DFW’s black culture, but let me say something about it...

Old 08-20-2018, 03:12 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Gang up on? Nah. Just calling out how you think the rest of Texas is soooo much different from the Houston area.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:46 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Gang up on? Nah. Just calling out how you think the rest of Texas is soooo much different from the Houston area.
Let Southernboy205 tell it black Folks are accepted and well entrenched into the good old boys club down in Houston a*k*a corporate America. Houston is no utopia for black folks as many of these posters would like you to believe. Black folks in Houston have to deal with the same b.s. that the typical black person in this country has had to deal with on a regular basis. I have a friend that lives in the Houston area that felt he was low balled for a position despite having more experience then his white counterpart.

The median Black household income levels are identical in both Dallas County and Harris County. The median household income is 37.5k.

What’s interesting is the median black household income level in Tarrant County is 40.k, which is higher then both Dallas and Houston.

https://statisticalatlas.com/county/...usehold-Income

Old 08-20-2018, 06:48 PM

22 posts, read 48,715 times
Ok let me provide an update....I’m the OP. I visited Dallas this weekend. I went there to see the culture. I was only there for 3.5 days so I’m not the expert but this was my take.....It’s much much slower than Atlanta. That’s not a bad thing for me. The black people I encountered were kinda “hood.” Now I’m sure Dallas has progressive black people but no one seemed to know where they would hang out at. ����*♀️ I asked around. I can say that I saw a pretty even number of guys and girls when I was out and about. That’s the feel I got in my very short time there. If I’m wrong don’t beat me up. FYI...I went to brunch, nightclub, mall, and 2 day parties.

I’m visiting Houston next month. I’m hoping I see a similar feel to Dallas but more of a scene for black professionals. Right now Dallas is #2. I haven’t even seen Houston yet but I’m betting on Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas