Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 03:00 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,805,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I'm glad you stayed!!!
One of those restaurants have closed according to Yelp. Where’s the Creole restaurant?

Old 09-03-2018, 01:10 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,464,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
One of those restaurants have closed according to Yelp. Where’s the Creole restaurant?
It probably stated that it was closed at the moment you searched. But it opened the next morning.

Answer to your question:
https://www.google.com/search?q=creo...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 09-03-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
It probably stated that it was closed at the moment you searched. But it opened the next morning.

Answer to your question:
https://www.google.com/search?q=creo...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I’ll pass on that.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:59 PM

19 black women are running for judgeships in Houston, which is the largest number ever recorded for an American county (Harris) in history!

Old 09-13-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
19 black women are running for judgeships in Houston, which is the largest number ever recorded for an American county (Harris) in history!
Will any of them win?

Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Will any of them win?
LOL. You better make less of this great time in history. Most of them will.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:11 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,006,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
This. Dallas is a pretty culturally bland, non-distinctive, and generic city overall anyway---ESPECIALLY for its size---so I don't know why people choose to deny that the BLACK Dallas cultural and social scene is bland and lacking as well. That could very well change in the future, with all the droves of people from all over the U.S. and the world moving to Dallas with no signs of DFW's population gain slowing down. But right now, it is what it is.

I think part of what makes Dallas appear bland is that no single culture can really dominate. In Houston, black culture, east Asian and Mexican culture really stand out. I can't really think of a "white" culture in Houston.

In Dallas, WASP culture is stronger but isn't really strong enough to cancel out black or Mexican culture. The Highland Park wasps are too insular. Non University Park/Highland Park whites are usually transplants that move to Frisco and bring nothing particularly "ethnic" to the mix. Black professionals are spread out all over DFW and Mexicans either marry early, have kids and live in Garland or they sort of blend in and get absorbed with white culture. Hispanics have considerably less impact on urban professional/night-life culture here despite being a much larger share of the overall state population. That jumps out at me much more than anything else.

Dallas also has no reason to exist. It's far from the Gulf/any ocean and has no major navigable rivers. Virtually major city has a long history being a port-town or some sort of trading post. Dallas is a hot, random spot on the Blackland Prairie that was probably filled with angry Comanche warriors and wild buffalo about 300 years ago. There's no romantic history. I love my city but I think it tries too hard to control the narrative.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:09 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,069,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I think part of what makes Dallas appear bland is that no single culture can really dominate. In Houston, black culture, east Asian and Mexican culture really stand out. I can't really think of a "white" culture in Houston.

In Dallas, WASP culture is stronger but isn't really strong enough to cancel out black or Mexican culture. The Highland Park wasps are too insular. Non University Park/Highland Park whites are usually transplants that move to Frisco and bring nothing particularly "ethnic" to the mix. Black professionals are spread out all over DFW and Mexicans either marry early, have kids and live in Garland or they sort of blend in and get absorbed with white culture. Hispanics have considerably less impact on urban professional/night-life culture here despite being a much larger share of the overall state population. That jumps out at me much more than anything else.

Dallas also has no reason to exist. It's far from the Gulf/any ocean and has no major navigable rivers. Virtually major city has a long history being a port-town or some sort of trading post. Dallas is a hot, random spot on the Blackland Prairie that was probably filled with angry Comanche warriors and wild buffalo about 300 years ago. There's no romantic history. I love my city but I think it tries too hard to control the narrative.
Good post. Yeah I noticed that about Dallas culture too when I lived there and I've long thought that your last paragraph explains a lot more about Dallas people and culture in general (way beyond the scope of this conversation, though Dallas was indeed a trading post).

Houston, likely due to its history as an oil and space town, has a long history of not only welcoming outside cultures, but also celebrating them and allowing them to carve out a space for themselves within the integrated fabric of the city. Dallas has a different history and the region tends to relish its association with Texas far more than Houston does. There's just a lot more Texan culture in DFW, and I think that has the effect of diminishing (maybe not the right word) some of the other cultures in the area. You could plop the Houston area in many other states, remove all the Texas flags, and have no idea that you're in Texas. In Dallas, you know you're in the center of Texas culture because the city embraces it and flaunts it. That's probably one factor.

But honestly, the biggest difference between the two metros today in terms of the topic of this post, is HBCUs. Nothing else drives social events in the black community like HBCUs do and that's the biggest difference. And that ship has sailed. I still think the DFW area is probably a top 10 metro for blacks in the country though, HBCUs or no HBCUs. I'd certainly rather live there than Norfolk or Greensboro - while communities like these have more dynamic black communities, there are also amenities you won't be able to find there that you will find in DFW.

It's all a balance really based on what you want. Even Atlanta and DC are not perfect, and Dallas is a pretty good compromise for most of what young upwardly mobile black people want.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Good post. Yeah I noticed that about Dallas culture too when I lived there and I've long thought that your last paragraph explains a lot more about Dallas people and culture in general (way beyond the scope of this conversation, though Dallas was indeed a trading post).

Houston, likely due to its history as an oil and space town, has a long history of not only welcoming outside cultures, but also celebrating them and allowing them to carve out a space for themselves within the integrated fabric of the city. Dallas has a different history and the region tends to relish its association with Texas far more than Houston does. There's just a lot more Texan culture in DFW, and I think that has the effect of diminishing (maybe not the right word) some of the other cultures in the area. You could plop the Houston area in many other states, remove all the Texas flags, and have no idea that you're in Texas. In Dallas, you know you're in the center of Texas culture because the city embraces it and flaunts it. That's probably one factor.

But honestly, the biggest difference between the two metros today in terms of the topic of this post, is HBCUs. Nothing else drives social events in the black community like HBCUs do and that's the biggest difference. And that ship has sailed. I still think the DFW area is probably a top 10 metro for blacks in the country though, HBCUs or no HBCUs. I'd certainly rather live there than Norfolk or Greensboro - while communities like these have more dynamic black communities, there are also amenities you won't be able to find there that you will find in DFW.

It's all a balance really based on what you want. Even Atlanta and DC are not perfect, and Dallas is a pretty good compromise for most of what young upwardly mobile black people want.
+1

Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,571,698 times
Quote:
DFW is an economic powerhouse for North Texas. Without DFW, North Texas would suffer economically, socially and culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas