Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 11:17 AM

15 posts, read 29,264 times

Advertisements

Dear forum members,

We plan to build Pool/Spa in the backyard in north Dallas. Pool size 15' x 30'.

We would appreciate any advise and input in regards to what should we consider when building the pool - including type, materials, heater/chiller, fresh water/salt water, tiles, concrete, which pool company to use etc. Please share your experiences, Dos and Don'ts.

Is 50 - 60K reasonable budget?

Thanks

Last edited by marble100; 10-13-2019 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 01:22 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marble100 View Post
Dear forum members,

We plan to build Pool/Spa in the backyard in north Dallas. Pool size 15' x 30'.

We would appreciate any advise and input in regards to what should we consider when building the pool - including type, materials, heater/chiller, fresh water/salt water, tiles, concrete, which pool company to use etc. Please share your experiences, Dos and Don'ts.

Is 50 - 60K reasonable budget?

Thanks
We've owned 4 and built 3 pools around here.

My thoughts:
1). Materials - go gunite with one of the newer style plaster alternatives like Diamond Brite (costs more but is nearly impervious to stains from leaves, pecans, high cyanuric acid levels etc.).

2). Get a heater skip the chiller. Heaters extend the swim season by months. Chillers are not worth the cost IMO.

3). I've had two salt pools and while acknowledging some of the advantages I won't consider another. Liquid chlorine + a little acid + a little baking soda as the normal weekly adds works better and cost much less all in.

4). Pressure/venturi vacuums + a booster pump work better especially for collecting leaves than suction type vacuums.

5). The newer electric vacuums are sensational.

6). After your pool has been open for a few months add boric acid to achieve a borate level of 80-90PPM or so.

7). I prefer DE filters.

8). Be hawkish about cyanuric acid levels. Take action before CYA levels get to 100PPM.

9). It's complicated why but if you use liquid chlorine, maintain a fairly low CYA level and keep your chlorine levels in range there is no need at all for expensive adds like phosphate inhibitors and the like.

Some of the regulars are annoying absolutists but the general theory about using liquid chlorine, baking soda and acid as the only regular chemical adds works spectacularly well.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/

Old 10-13-2019, 05:07 PM

14 posts, read 12,770 times
What’s the approximate cost to build a pool with an extensive stone patio and a sun shelf? Texas summers will be too hot not to have one. My assumption is about $60,000.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:55 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeThatAchillesGuy View Post
What’s the approximate cost to build a pool with an extensive stone patio and a sun shelf? Texas summers will be too hot not to have one. My assumption is about $60,000.
I would bet more than that. Maybe $75K?

Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 PM

377 posts, read 382,762 times
I would highly encourage people to avoid freeform pools and get a standard rectangle pool instead so you can get an autocover. After a heater, it's the single best add-on to a pool that you can get.

It's expensive but it's incredibly nice to be able to "close" the pool when you want. Without it, you will spend much time, or much $$$ paying someone else to keep the leaves and debris out of the pool.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:03 AM

15 posts, read 29,264 times
Thanks for the replies.

I have been recommenced Claffey pools.

How about Riverbend Pools, Crown Pools and El Dorado Pools?

Any other recommendations for Pool companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: