Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is all the growth really a good thing?
Yes, Its good to keep having 150k more people every year 33 49.25%
No, I liked Dallas better before all these new people came 34 50.75%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 07:51 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know where you got that. Maybe you just felt like ranting pointlessly.

Thoughtful, graceful expansion of roads, infrastructure, commercial properties, and residential properties instead of politicians selling out to developers who put up slapdash craphole efforts, cramming whatever wherever so they can make their quick buck...

Wth does that have to do with Austin?
Austin's growing pains is the example of what you wish for Dallas.........Thats what it has to do with Austin.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:41 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Growth bringing increase in violent crime

Dallas has just passed the 200 murder mark in one of the most violent years ever for the city. It is rapidly working it's way up the list of the most violent cities in america.
Growth is not always a good thing. Many folks have moved there from Los Angeles and Chicago which are 2 of the most Gang ridden cities in America. Murders are down in Chicago and Los Angeles and up in Dallas. I wonder if there is any correlation.
Also a lot of the migrant caravan and asylum seekers came to Dallas too. Many from San Pedro Sula, Honduras which is perhaps the most violent city in the world. Guatamala is another violent place. They are pouring in. I've seen many apartment complexes where 2 or 3 families fill each apartment. Dallas has built more apartments than any other metro area. That also contributes to the crime rate increase. Apartments are hotbeds for crime.
Where do you think all this growth is coming from? Do you think they are sending us their brightest and best people? I know many folks are moving to Dallas because they are great people who perhaps got transferred with their job or relocated to get a better job but that's a small percentage.

Last edited by jd433; 12-23-2019 at 08:50 PM..

Old 12-23-2019, 09:02 PM

516 posts, read 450,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Dallas has just passed the 200 murder mark in one of the most violent years ever for the city. It is rapidly working it's way up the list of the most violent cities in america.
Growth is not always a good thing. Many folks have moved there from Los Angeles and Chicago which are 2 of the most Gang ridden cities in America. Murders are down in Chicago and Los Angeles and up in Dallas. I wonder if there is any correlation.
Also a lot of the migrant caravan and asylum seekers came to Dallas too. Many from San Pedro Sula, Honduras which is perhaps the most violent city in the world. Guatamala is another violent place. They are pouring in. I've seen many apartment complexes where 2 or 3 families fill each apartment. Dallas has built more apartments than any other metro area. That also contributes to the crime rate increase. Apartments are hotbeds for crime.
Where do you think all this growth is coming from? Do you think they are sending us their brightest and best people? I know many folks are moving to Dallas because they are great people who perhaps got transferred with their job or relocated to get a better job but that's a small percentage.
No reason to be dramatic. Yes, the murder rate is higher than previous years and yes, something needs to be done. However, I want to point out that The early 90’s was when Dallas had the highest murder rate in its history. It was over 500 then. Dallas is no where close to being one of the most violent cities in America. Also, time and time again, research has proven that immigrants have a lower crime rate than citizens. Majority of the murders in Dallas are caused by Black on Black violence.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:35 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
The murders, in the 90's, were from the Jamaican drug dealers out of New York. They were brutal, used kids for runners which they killed without batting an eye. It took awhile for people to realize what was going on, but they finally got run out of town. Makes me wonder what we are dealing with this time.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:04 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
Dallasites have genuinely serious concerns about murders, drugs, gangs etc while suburb whiners are venting about neighbors who don’t socialize with them as much as they prefer or whose kids take too many advance classes. Some people have no idea how good they have it.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:10 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
My friend, you need to learn the difference between correlation and causation.

1. Dallas is not more appealing for murderers than LA and Chicago. LA and Chicago have had high levels of gang activity for years and are actively working to reduce that effect on the city.
2. Dallas has 22 homicide detectives. Houston has 85. Dallas is also understaffed when it comes to public safety.
3. Please don't use the murder rate as a talking point against Central Americans. The people in those caravan are running from the violence in the cities you speak of in Honduras and Guatemala.
4. How do you know that the people from Honduras and Guatemala are the ones killing in Dallas? How did you determine that it's not native-born Americans that are doing the killing?
5. What about apartment complexes makes them hotbeds for crime? Is every apartment complex crime ridden? Or is it certain areas of the city that tend to have more crime?

Quote:
This is a huge dogwhistle.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:24 AM

565 posts, read 558,230 times
DFW growth is a good thing. Think about it, people want to move to DFW because

1. The suburb schools are good
2. Crime is low
3. Job outlook is great

Why the heck would I NOT want those 3 things ? (only way we wouldn't get growth is if we did not have those 3 things).

Yeah sorry I would rather the metroplex keep growing and prospering then turn into a wasteland.......

Old 12-30-2019, 08:12 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Stop new development!!!!!

It's time to start protesting new development in Dallas. At least many of the new apartment complexes and other developments which do not benefit the existing home owners and don;t pay their shae of impact fees. they take up land that could have been used for a better purpose. I'm telling you it's time to do something about this. Learn from California and other places which finally woke up one day and realized that developers had ruined their city.
It's the citizens who need to take control. Dont just let the city and county do the thinking for you. The city will be ruined in 20 years, the first thing that has to stop are the apartments. Dont let new people have an easy way to infiltrate the city. I've noticed very little activism in Dallas.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:24 AM

577 posts, read 457,093 times
They are moving here regardless and if we stop building apartments, then housing prices will skyrocket. Eventually, they COL will be so high to the point where DFW is no longer desirable, and people will move on to other similar cities (maybe Houston or Austin, instead).

Old 12-30-2019, 08:27 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
If affordable housing isn’t available, homelessness would go out of control. Non skilled workers won’t be available to do basic but essential jobs.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 12-30-2019 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas