Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2021, 08:21 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That’s the very opposite of freedom. People have a right to choose what they want to do.
People do not have a right to infect other people. Your freedom ends where an innocent, unprotected person’s (children under 12, immune compromised people who couldn’t vax or didn’t get a strong antibody response from vax) freedom begins.

And “just stay home if you’re scared” is not a valid response. Most school districts cannot afford to offer virtual without state funding. Most working parents cannot just quit their jobs to homeschool their kids. Unprotected people should not be made prisoners because of the “freedum” crew’s selfishness.

Want real freedom for everyone? Then get your vax and wear your damn mask so we can put this pandemic behind us and stop giving variants a chance to thrive.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:27 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,217,727 times
I have a son who is too young to get the vaccine yet but who catches viruses easily. Once he got a virus in his knee and couldn't walk for two weeks. I'm very nervous about sending him to school even though he's very good about wearing masks.

The Republican talks a good talk about local control but seems to have no problem with stripping cities, towns, and school districts of their right to make the decisions that are in their best interest. Some school districts might need strict COVID controls but some may not. Texas is a huge state. Those decisions should be made locally.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:58 AM

578 posts, read 479,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
People do not have a right to infect other people.
Sick people do not have a right to infect other people, but I'm not sure you are entitled to demand a presumably healthy person to go extra miles just to make you feel relieved. It's like saying everyone should be locked in jail because people do not have a right to harm other people.

What's your opinions on AIDS patients by the way? They are confirmed to be infectious. Should they be registered in a public database and locked somewhere for public safety? In 2009 Obama Lifts a 22-year ban on entry into U.S. by H.I.V.-positive people. You like it?

Old 08-06-2021, 09:07 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,217,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
Sick people do not have a right to infect other people, but I'm not sure you are entitled to demand a presumably healthy person to go extra miles just to make you feel relieved. It's like saying everyone should be locked in jail because people do not have a right to harm other people.
This epidemic has asymptomatic transmission. A person can feel reasonably healthy and still spread it.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:30 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:

What's your opinions on AIDS patients by the way? They are confirmed to be infectious. Should they be registered in a public database and locked somewhere for public safety? In 2009 Obama Lifts a 22-year ban on entry into U.S. by H.I.V.-positive people. You like it?

AIDS is totally different. You contract HIV by having unprotected sex with someone who has an active infection, sharing drug needles with someone who has an active infection, or (extremely uncommon in 2021) through blood transfusions or by having an infected person’s blood somehow get into your skin through an open wound. That’s it. Do people living with AIDS/HIV have an ethical obligation to disclose their status to their sexual partners? Yes, of course. But they are not a threat to the general population.

COVID is a respiratory virus and the Delta strain is as infectious as Ebola or the Chicken Pox. If you have HIV, I cannot get it by sitting next to you at work. If you have COVID (even if you don’t know it and think your sniffles are just allergies), you can infect me. With the delta variant, it’s almost certain that you will infect me. If I’m vaccinated, I will likely not have such a serious infection that I need hospitalization, but our pregnant coworker (vaxxed or not) might not be so lucky. Or our coworker who’s spouse at home is battling cancer - he can be vaxxed and still take your Covid infection home to his spouse.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:00 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,200 times
Quote:

A yes, whataboutism! Was wondering when you would employ this logical fallacy.

HIV and Covid are apples and oranges.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:02 AM

176 posts, read 234,318 times
Thousands of illegals being let into Texas and you care about kids masking up? This is “Political Science” in action, not actual Science. We have things happening in this Country that transcend party affiliation. Wake up.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:07 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthegoat View Post
Thousands of illegals being let into Texas and you care about kids masking up? This is “Political Science” in action, not actual Science. We have things happening in this Country that transcend party affiliation. Wake up.

Yes, the kids could be walking by one of those illegals who is mowing the lawn at their school and contract the virus.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:54 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Your kids can wear masks, nothing stops them from doing so.

No don't dictate away others freedoms if they prefer not to. People by now know the risks.

Why don't you go for a vaccine mandate also and force others to get a shot.
Masks have a larger impact on others than they do yourself. This is bad reasoning.

Just like with vaccines, the level of protection in a group of people who are all wearing masks is exponentially higher than in a group of people where only half of people are wearing masks.

Until the vaccines are approved in young children, masks should be required. Once vaccines are approved, they should be required. Freeloaders can stay home.

I'm curious: Let's say I had TB. Should I be allowed to go wherever I want, sans mask, infecting other people? Should the government pass a law preventing me from doing so? This clearly seems like a "Fire!" in a crowded theatre situation.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:58 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:

"Presumably healthy" doesn't really exist in a pandemic.

And the HIV example is silly and not analagous. HIV isn't spread through casual contact. If you are in a position to get HIV from someone, you've taken deliberate action and have accepted that risk. Covid is wildly different. I can have a very high level of assurance that I won't get HIV just from sharing a classroom with someone. I can't have that assurance with Covid.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 08-06-2021 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas