Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 04:16 AM

387 posts, read 615,770 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 weighing a move to Southlake from NJ. Our 2 kids are in elementary, my job is not restricted to a location and wife can move with her job to office in Dallas. We have been living in US for 20 years. Love diversity of culture, thoughts and perspectives. Not politically inclined but lean fiscally conservative or prudent

Old 01-30-2022, 07:55 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
We are a family of 4 weighing a move to Southlake from NJ. Our 2 kids are in elementary, my job is not restricted to a location and wife can move with her job to office in Dallas. We have been living in US for 20 years. Love diversity of culture, thoughts and perspectives. Not politically inclined but lean fiscally conservative or prudent
Look at a map please - you plan to move to Southlake and your wife plans to work in Dallas?

Old 01-30-2022, 08:18 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,124 times
"Love diversity of culture, thoughts and perspectives."

You need to google Southlake.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:19 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
I hope you're white. Southlake has issues with racism. Also, the city is the opposite of diverse in every way.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:37 AM

387 posts, read 615,770 times
Thanks for those who pointed out racism. I'm not white and read about Southlake in the news and its stand on CRT. Having worked in corporate America I have witnessed both passive and invisible racism in the biggest financial institutions in NJ/NY from people of all color against each other. I believe its a fact of life and life is short! When I travelled to Europe for education I had friends of all color from all different nationalities and I realized as long as we are aligned on common interests and perspectives/ wants in life we can all get by (I am not into politics and don't let others views bother me as long as we are friends). My college friends are raising families and visit us in the USA and when they do our house represents a United Colors of Benetton commercial.

Regarding the question around time to travel to office - To further clarity wife would be traveling twice a week to Downtown Dallas (Google maps says 30 mins). My current job requires me to be in closer proximity to Airport. Our other option is to move to Livingston NJ where my wife's commute would be brutal and easily 3 times the estimated 30 mins we expect in Dallas. Cost of house, property taxes is similar for both location where Dallas has an advantage in terms of age of property and sq. footage.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:02 AM

304 posts, read 184,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
"Love diversity of culture, thoughts and perspectives."

You need to google Southlake.
This right here.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:05 AM

Grapevine/Carrollton. Stretch to far west Plano if the budget allows. (Although I’d you’re looking Southlake it totally does).

Old 01-30-2022, 09:07 AM

573 posts, read 335,656 times
CRT was not taught in the past or present in Southlake schools. Again, Southlake has numerous documented issues with racism that includes children in schools and you have 2 kids. Southlake is not Europe.

If youre fine with racism and have no issue with it cause it's a ”fact of life and life is short", then you'll be fine in southlake. And if you do not really care about "diversity of thoughts, culture and perspectives" because "as
long as we are aligned on common interests and perspectives/ wants in life we can all get by" you'll be fine in Southlake.

I'm sure you know how map driving estimates work and 30 minutes means she won't be commuting during any of the rush hour times.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
CRT was not taught in the past or present in Southlake schools. Again, Southlake has numerous documented issues with racism that includes children in schools and you have 2 kids. Southlake is not Europe.

If youre fine with racism and have no issue with it cause it's a ”fact of life and life is short", then you'll be fine in southlake. And if you do not really care about "diversity of thoughts, culture and perspectives" because "as
long as we are aligned on common interests and perspectives/ wants in life we can all get by" you'll be fine in Southlake.

I'm sure you know how map driving estimates work and 30 minutes means she won't be commuting during any of the rush hour times.
I’m pretty sure the OP reference to CRT theory was in the other direction.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:30 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post

You wrote a very short OP so I assume that finding a place that genuinely loves diversity of culture, thought, and perspectives is VERY high on your list when looking for a new community to call home.

Southlake is the antithesis of what you are looking for. It is an extremely white, extremely Christian, extremely wealthy suburb whose dominant force is fighting tooth and nail against any culture, thoughts and perspectives that don’t fit into their mold.

It’s not just the recent anti-CRT stuff. It’s a decades long history of bold racism towards black residents. I highly recommend doing a thorough Google search to gather some baseline knowledge before deciding where to call home in the Dallas area.

Depending on your wife’s exact work location in Dallas, some suburbs that do meet your search criteria + great schools include Coppell, Flower Mound, Plano & Richardson. Many neighborhoods in the city of Dallas could work too with a combination of neighborbood elementary school + magnet / choice or neighborhood middle and high school depending on the exact neighborhood. Most of Dallas proper is suburban looking/feeling - like Riverdale or Westchester County, not Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas