Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2023, 03:50 PM

869 posts, read 320,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I never said everyone needed to build custom, though. Not all tract-built homes are mcmansions, and the majority of housing stock isn't new housing. And keep in mind that the question that kicked all of this off was whether mcmansions specifically are desirable things.

Plenty of people eat at McDonald's because it's cheaper than many other restaurants. But it doesn't make sense to say McDonald's is particularly aspirational.

Well I suppose the question then becomes...what other types of housing ARE THERE?

1: We've discussed the "custom from scratch" option, which is unfeasible financially for the Average Joe.

2: There's renting, but most people only do so because they HAVE to. They don't exactly get to pick the architecture and design of whatever it is they're renting either.

3: I suppose you're speaking of older homes, built in an era where there was at least SOME semblance of uniqueness in design...but unless those homes were continuously kept up throughout the years, you might as well go with option number 1 above since you'll have to spend close to the same amount of money you'll spend on renovations and updating.

4: Starter homes? Do they even still exist anymore? And if so, don't they all just pretty much look alike as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 08:26 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
Plenty of people eat at McDonald's because it's cheaper than many other restaurants. But it doesn't make sense to say McDonald's is particularly aspirational.

A mcmansion is more expensive than a traditional home, so it's more like some people prefer Bobs Steakhouse and some are fine with like Ill Forks or Outback Steakhouse. IMO mcmansions replacing normal sized houses makes perfect sense because the setback rules require but also prevent you from doing anything useful with your front yard, so maximizing interior space makes a lot of sense.

I theoretically like older homes, but mine is 53 years old and it didn't have a closet we could put our vacuum in until we remodeled it, unless it shared space with towels or coats. The layouts in older homes were just terrible, and generally thoughtless as to how people actually live and where they need space.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:48 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,413,819 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...ze/ar-AA1b4hgR

Old 05-12-2023, 01:53 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Well I suppose the question then becomes...what other types of housing ARE THERE?

1: We've discussed the "custom from scratch" option, which is unfeasible financially for the Average Joe.

2: There's renting, but most people only do so because they HAVE to. They don't exactly get to pick the architecture and design of whatever it is they're renting either.

3: I suppose you're speaking of older homes, built in an era where there was at least SOME semblance of uniqueness in design...but unless those homes were continuously kept up throughout the years, you might as well go with option number 1 above since you'll have to spend close to the same amount of money you'll spend on renovations and updating.

4: Starter homes? Do they even still exist anymore? And if so, don't they all just pretty much look alike as well?
You seem to think tract housing = mcmansion. That's not true. It's not like there are only four types of houses (mcmansions, custom new builds, old houses and starter homes).

And I've lived in plenty of older houses. At no point did ownership costs approach a custom new build.

Old 05-12-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
A mcmansion is more expensive than a traditional home, so it's more like some people prefer Bobs Steakhouse and some are fine with like Ill Forks or Outback Steakhouse. IMO mcmansions replacing normal sized houses makes perfect sense because the setback rules require but also prevent you from doing anything useful with your front yard, so maximizing interior space makes a lot of sense.
A mcmansion is cheaper that the actual mansion it is imitating, hence the "mc" prefix. And someone aspiring to someday eat at Outback Steakhouse would indeed be sad.

A mcmansion isn't just a big house. Two houses could both be 4500 sq. ft., and both could be new builds. The well-designed one isn't a mcmansion.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
A mcmansion is cheaper that the actual mansion it is imitating, hence the "mc" prefix. And someone aspiring to someday eat at Outback Steakhouse would indeed be sad.

A mcmansion isn't just a big house. Two houses could both be 4500 sq. ft., and both could be new builds. The well-designed one isn't a mcmansion.

So according to you, mcmansions are basically just large, cheaply built homes fresh off an assembly line... whereas "well-designed" (which basically boils down to the eye of the beholder, since what YOU consider "well-designed" could be the ugliest thing I've ever seen) homes that are pretty much the same size as mcmansions are NOT considered mcmansions because they are "built differently"?

Old 05-12-2023, 02:50 PM

So going by your logic, is the house in the first link a "well-designed" large home, or is it your basic "mcmansion"?

What about the home in the second link...is it your standard assembly-line bland home, or is it "well-designed" in your eyes?

I'm seriously asking because without even looking at the price of each home, anyone could probably guess that the home in the first link is more expensive than the second-link home. Yet both seem pretty large and basically share the same function.

So I'm assuming by "well-designed", you're meaning the aesthetics of the home...not the actual BONES of the home, since no one can actually see that, right?

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

https://www.coldwellbanker.com/tx/we...MvQAMyjuUjfAqM

Last edited by Yac; 05-17-2023 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-12-2023, 03:18 PM

3,169 posts, read 2,057,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
So going by your logic, is the house in the first link a "well-designed" large home, or is it your basic "mcmansion"?

What about the home in the second link...is it your standard assembly-line bland home, or is it "well-designed" in your eyes?

I'm seriously asking because without even looking at the price of each home, anyone could probably guess that the home in the first link is more expensive than the second-link home. Yet both seem pretty large and basically share the same function.

So I'm assuming by "well-designed", you're meaning the aesthetics of the home...not the actual BONES of the home, since no one can actually see that, right?

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

https://www.coldwellbanker.com/tx/we...MvQAMyjuUjfAqM
The fact that the ugly house in the first link is twice the price of the much more attractive house in the second link should be a crime.

I don't think anyone could seriously argue that aesthetics is a big part of the determination of whether a house should be called a McMansion or not.

Last edited by Yac; 05-17-2023 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-12-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
The fact that the ugly house in the first link is twice the price of the much more attractive house in the second link should be a crime.

I don't think anyone could seriously argue that aesthetics is a big part of the determination of whether a house should be called a McMansion or not.

Lol...while I somewhat agree with you, the first house is almost double the size of the second house, despite the second house being somewhat more attractive.

In this case, I'd say it's less about aesthetics and more about land-space...which is ALWAYS more expensive.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

I would think this point would be obvious, but evidently it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas