Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2023, 07:33 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,094,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Why do you think empty nesters want smaller houses/yards? We have one more year before we're empty nesters and we bought our home in Prosper with one of our criteria to be able to entertain friends and family comfortably. My wife plans on having her sister and her family come visit, her parents live overseas so they can come stay for several months etc.

We have regular get togethers as well during the summers, with 20-30 people attending, that wouldn't be possible with a small house/yard.

I don't see us downsizing for the foreseeable future, and for the people we know who are in our social circle, they feel the same as we do.
It definitely seems like a new cultural shift. That raises another question of where you and so many others around here are suddenly/recently getting so much money, and why spend it in an overpriced city like Prosper?

Apparently I'm not the only one seeing the problem with an excess of McMansions that have outlived their time, but they don't seem to be going anywhere, and people are still falling over themselves for them.
https://thebaffler.com/outbursts/bad-manors-wagner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 03:46 PM

210 posts, read 277,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
It definitely seems like a new cultural shift. That raises another question of where you and so many others around here are suddenly/recently getting so much money, and why spend it in an overpriced city like Prosper?

Apparently I'm not the only one seeing the problem with an excess of McMansions that have outlived their time, but they don't seem to be going anywhere, and people are still falling over themselves for them.
https://thebaffler.com/outbursts/bad-manors-wagner
EZ ANSWER! Jobs! Jobs! Jobs! Schools! Schools! Schools! Location! Location! Location!

Texas has an abundance of cheap land still available that’s why it is called the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!

People from around the COUNTRY & from around the WORLD are coming in droves to this GREAT STATE!

It’s called PROGRESS! Step aside my friend, you will NEVER understand! This is what CAPITALISM looks like remember?

Renewable sources of energy, several new “chip” plants & new corporate relocations will fuel the growth even more than ever before!

LOL! EZ! BTW, We LUV PROSPER! Wish YOU were here with us, YOU will be missed! LOL!

Old 06-07-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
EZ ANSWER! Jobs! Jobs! Jobs! Schools! Schools! Schools! Location! Location! Location!

Texas has an abundance of cheap land still available that’s why it is called the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!

People from around the COUNTRY & from around the WORLD are coming in droves to this GREAT STATE!

It’s called PROGRESS! Step aside my friend, you will NEVER understand! This is what CAPITALISM looks like remember?

Renewable sources of energy, several new “chip” plants & new corporate relocations will fuel the growth even more than ever before!

LOL! EZ! BTW, We LUV PROSPER! Wish YOU were here with us, YOU will be missed! LOL!

Are you okay? I picture you literally jumping up and down.

Old 06-07-2023, 06:24 PM

13 posts, read 6,015 times
Quote:
Are you okay? I picture you literally jumping up and down.
Lmao I thought the same thing. I love Texas too but damn - maybe it's Jeff Cheney's alt

Old 06-07-2023, 07:12 PM

4,236 posts, read 6,922,350 times
Quote:

I'm still puzzled why so many people want bigger houses and bigger yards. Where are all the empty nesters who want smaller houses on lower-maintenance yards going? Did they just vanish? How did that change so quickly?
We're still here - there's just a mixture of people with different interests like anything else.

I wouldn't say I'm puzzled that so many people want big houses and yards, since people have different interests, but I can confidently say it's just not want we want. We're in our 30s and this is not my first piece of property I've owned, but it is the smallest and it's my favorite that I've owned.

Having owned in other states and renting in multiple states, we were both always happiest in big cities which usually meant smaller properties (600-1200 ft2 apartments vs the 2000+ ft2 homes I owned in other cities). We met in Dallas but both enjoy similar lifestyles. When looking to buy here, we were focused on smaller homes and ended up with a small 2 bedroom home near white rock. We entertain quite frequently and are usually the default gathering spot for friends and family and we have no problem in our small home. Though, if it's over 15 people, it's usually in the summer where people are inside and outside. Most of the time it is in the 6-12 people range. I have a bit of a 'speakeasy' setup at home. All free for guests of course. A menu, rotating specialty cocktails etc. And no issue with the small house.

But my wife and I are also used to throwing house parties in places like NYC. And I can also say that most of our friends in our social circle feel the same as we do: prefer smaller homes in closer to the city. So it's just different strokes and different social circles and interests.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,393,516 times
Quote:
That's unfortunate for those of us who hate the area we live in. Granted, I'm not sure what I want would cost because it doesn't seem to exist. You can either go into a bidding war or join the cattle calls from today's home builders which have come back in full force just as they were two years ago. Either way, McKinney has really gone to pot.

I'm still puzzled why so many people want bigger houses and bigger yards. Where are all the empty nesters who want smaller houses on lower-maintenance yards going? Did they just vanish? How did that change so quickly?
Three years ago, our neighbor across the street moved to Forney for a smaller, cheaper place after offering to sell her house to my mom for $350,000, which was $150,000 to $200,000 below market. Unfortunately, my mom was too deliberate to make a quick decision.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:00 AM

5,881 posts, read 4,197,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post

So what exactly is in the water up there in Prosper?

Old 06-09-2023, 11:47 AM

11,867 posts, read 26,918,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Three years ago, our neighbor across the street moved to Forney for a smaller, cheaper place after offering to sell her house to my mom for $350,000, which was $150,000 to $200,000 below market. Unfortunately, my mom was too deliberate to make a quick decision.
When we moved from Grapevine in 2021, our neighbor asked about buying our house to use as a rental. We told him if he gave us a full priced offer at the listing price, we would sell it to him. He balked, and then the house sold for $40K over list price.

Old 06-09-2023, 12:04 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,960,435 times
Quote:
I would be equally concerned about a housing market whose upper end was being up driven by H1B visas and/or other immigration.
If the industries of the companies who bring the H1-B types are doing well (unlike pure tech companies), then why would you be concerned? If federal policy changes and H1-B becomes more difficult to do, then they'll hire other well-paid people. Maybe less emphasis on new vs. "used" homes and clustering in some specific areas, but otherwise no change in market impact.

Old 06-09-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
If the industries of the companies who bring the H1-B types are doing well (unlike pure tech companies), then why would you be concerned? If federal policy changes and H1-B becomes more difficult to do, then they'll hire other well-paid people. Maybe less emphasis on new vs. "used" homes and clustering in some specific areas, but otherwise no change in market impact.

That would be a sea change in the market as far as I'm concerned. The market has practically crashed, relatively speaking, in Stonebridge Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas