Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 08:23 PM

317 posts, read 228,511 times

Advertisements

I prefer random, no-name generic donuts over the Glam-Donuts and even the corporates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Money laundering? LOL. Donut shops are only open from like 5am to Noon - that's why you don't see much activity. There are lots of Asian immigrants in DFW interested in running their own business, and donut shops have low capital outlays to open and low barriers to entry to learn to cook donuts, and people don't travel to get donuts. They buy right in their neighborhoods on the way to work.

Also there are lots of rundown strip centers all over DFW, and they don't charge much in rent.
^ checks out from my experience. There's one of these near me (at Forest and Marsh) and I always have to wait behind at least one other person when I go in on Saturday morning.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
The Shipley's near me always has a ton of people in the morning. The drive-thru line is practically running out into the road. The placed called DONUT never has a car in the parking lot.
Some franchisee just signed a deal to open 25 more shops in DFW.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/resta...n-dfw-12846382

Hope their new owners find a way to make them more congruent.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:03 PM

511 posts, read 400,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
What's the deal with all of the donut shops in this area? There are so many! Most just have a sign that says DONUT and are in run down strip centers. I barely ever see customers going in there. Money laundering maybe?
Those are mom-and-pop donut shops owned by Asian immigrants from the Philippines, Vietnam, Korea, etc. I've also noticed that a lot of them are Korean-owned. I would know because I'm Korean myself.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:15 PM

74 posts, read 166,481 times
I missed the DONUT shops when we moved away from Texas. The chains are usually inferior (particularly Dunkin.. I have no idea what the appeal of that place is). It's interesting to me that they almost operate like a franchise. Similar no-frills branding and the donuts all taste the same no matter where you are in DFW.

You might not see a huge crowd but go when they first open up and again at 10:30 and you'll see that they've sold out of hundreds or thousands of donuts.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:29 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,086,492 times
They're only laundering when there is a cleaners in the center.

In Mckinney, people always point out how there is a doughnut shop and dentist together on every street corner. I guess the dentists came in when they found that these doughnuts were creating a greater need.

When we first moved here, there was a little shop on the east side called Southern Maid. Unfortunately, they are no longer there. We loved them as kids.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,086,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidTiger View Post
I missed the DONUT shops when we moved away from Texas. The chains are usually inferior (particularly Dunkin.. I have no idea what the appeal of that place is). It's interesting to me that they almost operate like a franchise. Similar no-frills branding and the donuts all taste the same no matter where you are in DFW.

You might not see a huge crowd but go when they first open up and again at 10:30 and you'll see that they've sold out of hundreds or thousands of donuts.
Maybe Dunkin's appeal is the coffee. I prefer Folger's myself, but people do pay a premium for Dunkin coffee. Since they operate the same chain as Baskin Robbins, maybe it's the ice cream, although it's hard to imagine. After over 30 years, I still can't figure out why Haagen Dazs doesn't sell well in Texas. They were all over in southern California.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:25 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
I prefer the local donut shops run by Asian immigrants.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:38 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Maybe Dunkin's appeal is the coffee. I prefer Folger's myself, but people do pay a premium for Dunkin coffee. Since they operate the same chain as Baskin Robbins, maybe it's the ice cream, although it's hard to imagine. After over 30 years, I still can't figure out why Haagen Dazs doesn't sell well in Texas. They were all over in southern California.
I used to live next to a Dunkin/Baskin dual and I never saw anyone buy ice cream.

Haagen Dazs used to have several locations in Dallas but they've been gone some years. Weirdly enough, ice cream retail shops have declined in Dallas till they're pretty much totally gone, whereas in New England ice cream is practically an obsession, with great ice cream shops everywhere (closed in the winter, though).

Real Dallasites will remember Ashburn's, Swensen's, Farrell's, and there was a Baskin Robbins on practically every corner, not to mention Dairy Queen and various mom and pop shops - pretty much all gone now. And there was the mid 80's Italian gelato craze - also all gone now.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:27 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Real Dallasites will remember Ashburn's, Swensen's, Farrell's, and there was a Baskin Robbins on practically every corner,
What?

'Real Dallasites'. LOL again. 3 of those 4 are major national ice cream chains that were frankly terrible. Farrell's is the place they parodied in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and the annoyance and screaming and lights are far better than their food or ice cream. Ashburn's also had quite a few locations.

DFW still has tons of ice cream stores that are far better. If you want that chain experience then Braums has got you covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas