Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2022, 11:21 AM

81 posts, read 92,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg412 View Post
Do we know schools handle out more declines than WL?
St Marks does. For non-expansion years, they get between 70-90 applicants for 5-7 spots with yield being at or near 100% acceptance. 4-6 are placed in the wait pool and the rest get declined. Every year the wait pool is cleared and you re-apply.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 02:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,772 times
We applied for Pre-k 3 this year and were waitpooled at LL and ESD. Then we found out from current parents there were more sibling applications than spots for ESD…and even some LL siblings only got the half day option (we only applied for full day). So it’s not looking like the waitpool will move for us this year.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:47 AM

23 posts, read 62,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasmom2022 View Post
We applied for Pre-k 3 this year and were waitpooled at LL and ESD. Then we found out from current parents there were more sibling applications than spots for ESD…and even some LL siblings only got the half day option (we only applied for full day). So it’s not looking like the waitpool will move for us this year.
Yep, I wasn’t exaggerating when I said it seemed like at least half of the parents we talked to had an “in” for the PK-3 application this year. Cards just kinda stacked against you. Maybe next year will look a little fairer.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,496 times
Default Waitlist movement ?

Does anyone know from prior experience how soon they start to offer spots for waitlisted families ?

We are waitlisted at ESD and Parish for Kinder.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasmom2022 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerGuy84 View Post
Yep, I wasn’t exaggerating when I said it seemed like at least half of the parents we talked to had an “in” for the PK-3 application this year. Cards just kinda stacked against you. Maybe next year will look a little fairer.
My perspective on PK3 since only three schools offer it. I think the schools are wise to fill most if not all of their limited PK3 spots with siblings or faculty children. Those are families they know will stick.

I think when you both apply for PK4 next year, you’ll be so glad you didn’t get in this year. Not because there is anything wrong with ESD or Lamplighter, but because you’ll be able to visit and compare upwards of 10+ schools next year and you’ll be able to have a full understanding of ALL of your options. You may decide that you still love those two the most and then you’ll be seen as a very interested family with a repeat application. Or you might find that another school or three are an even better fit for your family & your kid.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 12,072 times
do we have any updates about the wait list?..a mom with false hope..

Old 03-22-2022, 01:58 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLASMOM3289 View Post
do we have any updates about the wait list?..a mom with false hope..
Admitted students have until this Friday to respond to schools with their decisions. So I would think unless a school REALLY miscalculated and had already received significantly more declines than expected….you would not see any WL movement until next week. If it moves.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Admitted students have until this Friday to respond to schools with their decisions. So I would think unless a school REALLY miscalculated and had already received significantly more declines than expected….you would not see any WL movement until next week. If it moves.
Looking at previous years’ versions of this sort of thread, movement starts about Thursday following spring break and generally slows down the first week of April.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:18 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerGuy84 View Post
Looking at previous years’ versions of this sort of thread, movement starts about Thursday following spring break and generally slows down the first week of April.
If you've done the research on this from the forums, I guess.... But I don't actually believe it. As TC80 said, people have until the Friday after break to elect their decisions, which includes accepting a spot on the wait list or not. Even if a school started getting far more rejections than it expected (not super likely at the top schools), it would almost certainly want to get a clear picture of the entire wait pool to figure out who to admit from that group rather than pull the trigger a few days early just to fill a space.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
If you've done the research on this from the forums, I guess.... But I don't actually believe it. As TC80 said, people have until the Friday after break to elect their decisions, which includes accepting a spot on the wait list or not. Even if a school started getting far more rejections than it expected (not super likely at the top schools), it would almost certainly want to get a clear picture of the entire wait pool to figure out who to admit from that group rather than pull the trigger a few days early just to fill a space.
I’m not sure what I did would qualify as research per se, but here you go, Doubting Thomas:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dall...2019-a-30.html

… granted they could be lying, I guess, but that seems like an odd pastime.

Regardless, the headline is that WL admits seem to be exceedingly rare… to the point of not even really talking about them (at least based on the ratio of people announcing WL decisions to people declaring they were admitted off WL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas