Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 10:08 AM

4,523 posts, read 2,664,836 times

Advertisements

Well, I graduated from a "dinky little school" that had 70 seniors. Yes, we all played various sports, participated in a wide variety of activities. None of us went on to play college football. Somehow we seem to have coped pretty well.

Making "walk-on to a D1 or play for a D2 school" as any kind of a goal for the average high school student strikes me as supremely silly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 04:50 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
Sports teach a ton of useful life lessons, including hard work, responsibility, and teamwork.
Speaking as a non-athlete, I learned those skills from being in marching band and on the school newspaper staff. The nice thing about a fancy football stadium is that the band gets to use it, too!

Old 04-08-2022, 02:19 PM

313 posts, read 367,881 times
Yep, HP lost last year's football game to SLC but beat two other 6A schools in a down year. SLC has a great football team and great support.

HP won the HS hockey title last night over Prosper. They're also as good as SLC at lacrosse.
What about girl's track and field and CC?

Academic Decathlon? HP plus 6A Dulles and Rockwall top the charts each year.
https://acadecscores.gilslotd.com/wiki/Regionals/Texas

Will Melissa attract or develop great players thanks to its incredible indoor practice facility and stadium?

Old 04-08-2022, 03:09 PM

300 posts, read 289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I agree with you regarding the argument in favor of having athletics programs. One thing I would say though, is that I don't really see why the competitive success (unless on the extreme low end, since that isn't fun for anyone) really matters to evaluating the school.

The kids at HP, just to use the example in this thread, that participate in athletics likely get the same benefits you describe above as the kids that participate in athletics at Allen.

One could argue that the benefits of having athletics programs is actually reduced in schools like Allen where a smaller percentage of students actually get to participate.
I agree that participation matters more than success, but a lot of parents think differently. A lot of kids definitely think differently. Stuff like the stadiums can recruit kids and give the appearance of being a successful program. I would also rather play on a smaller team and contribute more (or play multiple sports), but a lot of the people who care enough to athletic transfer think that there is no way their kid would ever sit on the bench.

I guess some of my answers seem a little contradictory, but in short I don’t have a problem with the stadium and think it could help in some indirect ways; I also don’t think it’s the best use of funds.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:14 PM

169 posts, read 104,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
Yep, HP lost last year's football game to SLC but beat two other 6A schools in a down year. SLC has a great football team and great support.

HP won the HS hockey title last night over Prosper. They're also as good as SLC at lacrosse.
What about girl's track and field and CC?

Academic Decathlon? HP plus 6A Dulles and Rockwall top the charts each year.
https://acadecscores.gilslotd.com/wiki/Regionals/Texas

Will Melissa attract or develop great players thanks to its incredible indoor practice facility and stadium?
Their best girls CC runner would have not been top 4 at Carroll. Carroll wasn’t even that good. Again the best there is mediocre at a good 6a school. All One needs to do is see where they end up in the Lone Star Cup standings next year. Looking at about 10-15 other sports they don’t come close. But hey they have 1 or 2

Hockey
https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2021&v=754

Ranked 26 vs a ton of 6A schools above them. Again they aren't going to be garbage next year. They will be a solid school. They won't be elite anymore. Academic wise they of course will be. They are used to competing for state championships in many many sports while in 5A. That will no longer happen in 6A. 1 or 2 sports maybe.

Last edited by Cicnod; 04-08-2022 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-09-2022, 07:58 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,213,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, I graduated from a "dinky little school" that had 70 seniors. Yes, we all played various sports, participated in a wide variety of activities. None of us went on to play college football. Somehow we seem to have coped pretty well.
My younger son goes to a small private school for middle school. This year he is on the school's coed flag football team. My son is great at many things but team sports isn't one of them. Being on the team though has been really good for him and he's really enjoyed it. There are not many options for team sports for kids like my son once they reach middle school and I think that's a shame.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:24 AM

5,828 posts, read 4,168,001 times
Quote:
I agree that participation matters more than success, but a lot of parents think differently. A lot of kids definitely think differently. Stuff like the stadiums can recruit kids and give the appearance of being a successful program. I would also rather play on a smaller team and contribute more (or play multiple sports), but a lot of the people who care enough to athletic transfer think that there is no way their kid would ever sit on the bench.

I guess some of my answers seem a little contradictory, but in short I don’t have a problem with the stadium and think it could help in some indirect ways; I also don’t think it’s the best use of funds.
Spending this kind of money to try to attract better football players to your high school is a terrible use of funds. I'm not even sure why a high school should have the goal of attracting new players to its program. Yes, it might make the team better, but it also makes one less spot for an existing student.

Given what we now know about football and head injuries, high schools should be trying to discourage football participation, not encourage it.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
A substantial decline in athletics would absolutely have a negative impact. Sports teach a ton of useful life lessons, including hard work, responsibility, and teamwork. They're also a great way for kids in high school to make friends and socialize. I would argue that they also can benefit academics to a certain extent - most sports teams have fairly stringent grade requirements. A dramatic slash in athletic focus/participation, even at mini-college football programs like Allen, would have a negative effect
You're confusing a decline in athletic performance with a decline in athletic participation. The life lessons you mention are a product of participating and trying hard, not a product of winning state championships.

I was a college baseball player and lettered in multiple sports in high school. I'm not anti-sport in any way. But the idea that a high school competing at the top level of the most competitive sport in a state somehow benefits its academic program to the point that the school can justify spending this kind of money on the sport is silly. I think I learned life lessons through sports, but I also think my grades were worse because of sports. If you expand this to the college level, this point is undebatable. College football and basketball players almost always take easier tracks and end up with less useful degrees due to their participation in sports (but to be fair, in many cases they would never have been admitted to the school if it weren't for athletics).

Old 04-10-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Melissa is the next small town on it's way to being to bigger large town. It's just north of Allen and McKinney that had built those other huge stadiums. Huge population growth in that area.

Allen BTW gave us Gave us Kyler Murray, Heisman Trophy winner and QB for Phoenix. Texas Football rocks the NFL.
I can't imagine why a school district should care about this. Decisions should be made based on the interests of the 2000+ students in the school, not the 1-in-10,000 (or less) who might end up being an NFL star.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:48 AM

772 posts, read 934,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I can't imagine why a school district should care about this. Decisions should be made based on the interests of the 2000+ students in the school, not the 1-in-10,000 (or less) who might end up being an NFL star.

I don't think it's a primary concern of theirs. I bet much of the reasoning behind these fancy new stadiums boils down to FOMO. They look around at surrounding cities/suburbs who have been able to get bond packages approved for tens and hundreds of millions, so why shouldn't they have the same level of infrastructure if voters will approve it? Rational need has taken a back seat to these decisions.

The affluent suburbs in the DFW area are all caught up in a stadium measuring contest. It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas