Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 01:19 PM

300 posts, read 289,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicnod View Post
Now go look at their athletics. It is a joke. I'll repeat. There are only 2 in DFW. Allen and Southlake.
For a balance of academics and athletics it’s Highland Park and Southlake by a mile. Plano West has the academics nailed down but not so much the sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 01:26 PM

169 posts, read 104,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
For a balance of academics and athletics it’s Highland Park and Southlake by a mile. Plano West has the academics nailed down but not so much the sports.
HP is not 6A or hasn't been until this coming year.. 5A is not relevant. Allen, not HP. Academically great and athletically great. HP academically great and average athletically. If they perform in 6A then they would move into the conversation.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
HP is not 6A or hasn't been until this coming year.. 5A is not relevant. Allen, not HP. Academically great and athletically great. HP academically great and average athletically.
Good 5A teams like HP could easily compete with 80% of 6A teams

Old 04-06-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Good 5A teams like HP could easily compete with 80% of 6A teams
I didn't talk about 80% of 6A teams. I talked about the cream of the crop. There are probably 5 overall. Southlake, Allen, Austin Westlake, Conroe, and Lake Travis. HP Academically is the cream of the crop but not athletically. Duncanville is the cream of the crop athletically but not academically.

Southlake played a very good HP team this past year in football. HP didn't belong on the field. It was a joke. I am very interested to see how they step up this next year.

I believe this is what Melissa is trying to do. They know new money moves into places like this which should drive academics like Lovejoy for example and they want to be an elite athletic program also.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I didn't talk about 80% of 6A teams. I talked about the cream of the crop. There are probably 5 overall. Southlake, Allen, Austin Westlake, Conroe, and Lake Travis. HP Academically is the cream of the crop but not athletically. Duncanville is the cream of the crop athletically but not academically.
We have different definitions of "cream of the crop." I would consider programs that consistently dominate 5A and could go head-to-head with 6A as cream of the crop.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:48 PM

313 posts, read 367,881 times
Allen has roughly 1330 students in its graduating class vs. 675 at Southlake Carroll and 550 at HPHS.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:44 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
So .... the fact that a theater was poorly built, makes it ok to spend that amount of money on a football stadium?

I'd like to see a comparison on the number of hours a high school theater is used in one school year compared to a football stadium.
I can actually speak to this. I live near Kimbrough Stadium in Murphy (PISD). It has activity 3-4 nights a week and often on Saturday.

The theater at Plano East (and presumably West and Senior as well) was so booked up that they decided it actually made sense to add a new performance facility aside from the ones at the schools.

I pay these taxes and am thrilled that in addition to excellent education, they are also providing opportunities for athletes and performing arts. And Saturday Plano East's gym hosted the first ever District-Wide Sensational Sensory Ball for students in 9-12 grades.

Old 04-06-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
We have different definitions of "cream of the crop." I would consider programs that consistently dominate 5A and could go head-to-head with 6A as cream of the crop.
When HP plays a good team they get rolled. Their timed athletes (swimming, track, etc) wouldn't even make the team most of the time except the top 1 or 2. They can't compete as I have seen it numerous times when it comes to almost all sports. You will see in the fall and spring of next year when they have to go into 6A. Again they didn't even belong on the field this year in football when they played Southlake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
Allen has roughly 1330 students in its graduating class vs. 675 at Southlake Carroll and 550 at HPHS.
Which I always find amazing that Carroll can compete with Allen and HP can't even come close to competing with Carroll.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Expenditure is expenditure is expenditure.

If you can afford to spend money on a luxury, you don't need any more revenue. It's that simple.
But that’s NOT how the state has school finance set up. To the state, an expenditure is NOT an expenditure. They live in completely separate buckets of money.

Without bond elections, districts could never build any new schools, acquire new land or make significant repairs to very old schools. Frisco would still have 1 high school or whatever they had in 1990-ish when Robin Hood went into effect. And forget skyrocketing populations, home values, and tax rolls because without desirable schools….no one would have been flocking to the flat prairies 25 miles north of downtown over the last 25 years.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Which I always find amazing that Carroll can compete with Allen and HP can't even come close to competing with Carroll.
Carroll's success always surprises me a bit given its size, as does Plano West's lack of success. Allen does benefit a lot from athletic transfers, and I would expect that Southlake doesn't simply because the home values are so high that the vast majority of people can't just move there if they want to play for a more competitive program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas