Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 12:07 PM

312 posts, read 367,819 times

Advertisements

"Make no mistake the most dominant school district in the state is hands down Southlake and it isn't close."
For 6A? In 5A, it was certainly Highland Park. Aledo and Lucas Lovejoy are very solid as well. So is Frisco ISD of course but success varies by high school. Some great at academics and others great at athletics. Not many are great across the board.

For sure, Carroll ISD is fabulous. No one else is even close? Is Southlake the best in 6A across the board including athletics and academics? Plano West seems the best per cap in academics, along with HP.

Back to Melissa: The Melissa Championship Center, a $21.3 million, 134,200-square-foot indoor practice facility on the Melissa Independent School District (ISD) high school campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 12:09 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Don't they usually pack them with other stuff though?
Even more reason to shoot them down.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:26 PM

169 posts, read 104,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
"Make no mistake the most dominant school district in the state is hands down Southlake and it isn't close."
For 6A? In 5A, it was certainly Highland Park. Aledo and Lucas Lovejoy are very solid as well. So is Frisco ISD of course but success varies by high school. Some great at academics and others great at athletics. Not many are great across the board.

For sure, Carroll ISD is fabulous. No one else is even close? Is Southlake the best in 6A across the board including athletics and academics? Plano West seems the best per cap in academics, along with HP.

Back to Melissa: The Melissa Championship Center, a $21.3 million, 134,200-square-foot indoor practice facility on the Melissa Independent School District (ISD) high school campus.
Lol. Plano west isn’t close

Old 04-06-2022, 12:44 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Because they waste $35 MILLION on football stadiums.

Schools have plenty of money. If you can afford a $35 million luxury that is at best ancillary to your primary purpose, then you are not underfunded and you don't need any more money.
Sigh. So much to go over with you.

1) The state caps the M&O tax rate that an ISD can approve for maintenance and operations. To go over that they need to go to the taxpayers in an election to get their approval.

2) The state takes money from property rich districts and gives it to property poor districts. Called recapture.

3) If your ISD does get an additional tax rate passed, it is also subject to recapture. Meaning that if you raise an additional $1 from your taxpayers, some percentage goes to another district.

4) Interest & Sinking (I&S) tax rate provides funds for payments on the debt that finances a district's facilities. This is not subject to recapture.

5) Bonds are approved by the voters. They decide if they want to raise their taxes for the I&S portion of their tax bill.

6) There are property rich districts in Texas and property poor ones. Dallas ISD is a property rich district and is subject to having tax revenue taken away and sent somewhere else.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:52 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Sigh. So much to go over with you.

1) The state caps the M&O tax rate that an ISD can approve for maintenance and operations. To go over that they need to go to the taxpayers in an election to get their approval.

2) The state takes money from property rich districts and gives it to property poor districts. Called recapture.

3) If your ISD does get an additional tax rate passed, it is also subject to recapture. Meaning that if you raise an additional $1 from your taxpayers, some percentage goes to another district.

4) Interest & Sinking (I&S) tax rate provides funds for payments on the debt that finances a district's facilities. This is not subject to recapture.

5) Bonds are approved by the voters. They decide if they want to raise their taxes for the I&S portion of their tax bill.

6) There are property rich districts in Texas and property poor ones. Dallas ISD is a property rich district and is subject to having tax revenue taken away and sent somewhere else.
Expenditure is expenditure is expenditure.

If you can afford to spend money on a luxury, you don't need any more revenue. It's that simple.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:57 PM

379 posts, read 366,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Expenditure is expenditure is expenditure.

If you can afford to spend money on a luxury, you don't need any more revenue. It's that simple.
Completely incorrect. In this instance, the voters approved the I&S tax levy to build a stadium. That revenue cannot be used to pay for anything else. I&S levies in general cannot ever be used to pay for ongoing operational costs such as teachers salaries. Ongoing operational costs can only be paid by state funding (determined via formula) or the M&O tax levy (capped by state law).

Old 04-06-2022, 12:59 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I don't get why football stadiums get so much grief when Plano ISD's performing arts center is smaller, equally as expensive at $65m, far uglier (with a flat windowless unadorned concrete rectangle facing US75), and failing worse than Allen's football stadium did, as in it's never been able to open due to structural issues even though it is complete.

Stadiums compared to that are a great deal
So .... the fact that a theater was poorly built, makes it ok to spend that amount of money on a football stadium?

I'd like to see a comparison on the number of hours a high school theater is used in one school year compared to a football stadium.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:02 PM

312 posts, read 367,819 times
Default Southlake vs. Plano West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicnod View Post
Lol. Plano west isn’t close
https://schools.texastribune.org/dis...r-high-school/

Plano West has average SAT Score of 1268 and ACT of 27.1 with 46% taking an AP exam. 24% are economically disadvantaged.

Southlake has average SAT Score of 1265 and ACT of 27.2 with 51% taking an AP exam. 1% are economically disadvantaged.

++++++++++++++++

Melissa HS has average SAT Score of 1101 and ACT of 22.4 with 0% taking an AP exam. 15% are economically disadvantaged.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:10 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,401,147 times
Quote:
I'd like to see a comparison on the number of hours a high school theater is used in one school year compared to a football stadium.
Well, when I was in high school I played football and did one-act play, and my expenditure of time in each was pretty equal, but given than Plano has been around for a long time, never had one [they rented time from Allen/Richardson], and built it no-where near any of their other schools says to me that the general time expenditure of a student in each is probably not that much, though perhaps more students in total participate in the arts vs spend time in the football stadium.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:14 PM

169 posts, read 104,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
https://schools.texastribune.org/dis...r-high-school/

Plano West has average SAT Score of 1268 and ACT of 27.1 with 46% taking an AP exam. 24% are economically disadvantaged.

Southlake has average SAT Score of 1265 and ACT of 27.2 with 51% taking an AP exam. 1% are economically disadvantaged.

++++++++++++++++

Melissa HS has average SAT Score of 1101 and ACT of 22.4 with 0% taking an AP exam. 15% are economically disadvantaged.
Now go look at their athletics. It is a joke. I'll repeat. There are only 2 in DFW. Allen and Southlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas