Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,444 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I are looking at getting out of California and soon, we want to move to Dallas as it seems to have a high number of jobs available relative to our current situation.

We want to live in a simple but nice area. We don’t want to be in the land of manicured lawns and stepford wives, nor do we wish to be in the latest episode of Cops or Dallas SWAT.

I have seen homes running from several million to 50k. I don’t mind older homes in fact I like them more than modern cookie cutter snap-tite homes. I guess what I am asking about is rock solid middle class, regular joe places that may not always be neat but never dirty. Where 40 to 50k a year pays the bills. And no one cares about the Jones' much less keeping up with them.

I guess what I am saying is I don't understand the real estate market in TX because here 500k gets you a dump in the ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,898 times
well, let's start with the basics:

What is your budget?

What type of work are you going to be doing? I know you odn't have a job yet, but are you going to be working downtown, working from home? starting a business? How far do you want to live from said workplace.

What do you like to do? Are you a nature person, fine-dining person, like to go to museums person?

Do you have kids? Plano on having kids?

Home, condo, or townhome?

D/FW is really big, so there's something for everyone. Hopefully we can narrow down your options.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:38 PM

35 posts, read 175,570 times
If you want to be near the city center, I think Lake Highlands and Garland would meet your description.
The real estate market is extremely different than in California. $500K will get you a small townhouse in University Park or will buy you a 4,000 sf luxury home north of town. South of town, you could get even more for the money.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,882 times
[quote=tacit_k;3861199

We want to live in a simple but nice area. We don’t want to be in the land of manicured lawns and stepford wives, nor do we wish to be in the latest episode of Cops or Dallas SWAT.

I have seen homes running from several million to 50k. I don’t mind older homes in fact I like them more than modern cookie cutter snap-tite homes. I guess what I am asking about is rock solid middle class, regular joe places that may not always be neat but never dirty. Where 40 to 50k a year pays the bills. And no one cares about the Jones' much less keeping up with them.

I guess what I am saying is I don't understand the real estate market in TX because here 500k gets you a dump in the ghetto.[/quote]

You are describing Oak Cliff and Lakewood. Lakewood would be tight on 40 to 50K per year depending on your other spending habits. Oak Cliff would certainly work. Though as another poster said, much of it will depend on your commute.

Here is a link to some of the neighborhoods in Oak Cliff.

Old Oak Cliff Conservation League

Old 05-23-2008, 01:34 PM

430 posts, read 1,359,312 times
Get a job, rent for six months, then find out where you want to live.

You really want to avoid commuting if you can help it.

McKinney, Frisco, Mesquite, Keller, Rockwall, Arlington come to mind.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:24 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
"McKinney, Frisco, Mesquite, Keller, Rockwall, Arlington come to mind"

He said no cookie cutter which would eliminate everything but McKinney and Arlington. I know Mckinney has older charming neighborhoods but I am not certain of Arlington. Parts of Oak Cliff, Lake Highlands and Lakewood would be the ticket. For 40-50k a year Oak Cliff would be the winner in my book. Mesquite would be perfect if cookie cutter homes was not a problem.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Richardson!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnetx View Post
Get a job, rent for six months, then find out where you want to live.

You really want to avoid commuting if you can help it.

McKinney, Frisco, Mesquite, Keller, Rockwall, Arlington come to mind.
Great advise! That's the conclusion I came to also.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,381 times
I lived in California for 41 years, so I know what you're talking about. I've lived in Rockwall for eight years and love it here. There are lots of nice homes available in the mid 100's and up.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
The older section of Keller by the post office is very nice near bear creek park NOT cookie cutter. (west of 377 is cookie cutter hell, but that 's ft worth not keller)

The mid cities...hurst, & Bedford
older parts of North Richland Hills, lake Highlands, Richardson, Garland,

There are many many places but first find the job location so you don't spend $$$ on gas and a horrible commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas