Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 09:58 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastworth View Post
How bad is Texas road rage in Houston and in Dallas? Are there road rage shootings often? Is every driver armed? I ask because if it's so bad, I probably won't honk my horn unless necessary.
Why would you honk your horn unnecessarily anyway? That is itself a symptom of road rage. Or at least road pique.

I don't find any more road rage in Dallas than other large cities I've driven in, except Honolulu, where people on the freeway would slow down to let me enter at the on-ramp or change lanes in front of them...and where nobody honks except in life-or-death situations.

I've been out in Dallas traffic every day for the last seven years. I see people doing silly things*, but I haven't seen road rage yet.

*I was at a red light on the southbound Central Expressway service road. The front guy in the far right lane decided to make a sudden left turn while the light is still red. A moment later, the front guy in the far left lane decides to make a sudden right turn.

I had seen people here do that twice before, but it was amazing to see two people do it at the same intersection from both directions during the same red light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 10:00 AM

62 posts, read 30,248 times
Like I would honk if someone cut me off close to my bumper. Would that provoke road rage?

Old 11-24-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Like I would honk if someone cut me off close to my bumper. Would that provoke road rage?
If he missed, then you're not honking to prevent an accident. So, yeah, it kinda is road pique.

That particular thing does happen frequently in Dallas. As I said, a lot of people here think they're driving NASCAR.

But to be fair, they usually don't mind if you do the same thing to them, 'cause that's also NASCAR.

Old 11-24-2022, 02:39 PM

817 posts, read 921,928 times
Drivers in the DFW area are generally more courteous than they are skilled.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:50 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If he missed, then you're not honking to prevent an accident. So, yeah, it kinda is road pique.

That particular thing does happen frequently in Dallas. As I said, a lot of people here think they're driving NASCAR.

But to be fair, they usually don't mind if you do the same thing to them, 'cause that's also NASCAR.
Someone who cuts you off that closely needs to get honked at. That these sorts of actions are leading to road road is a sign of the times.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:50 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
I've driven in most major cities. Dallas is definitely on the competitive aggressive side. Same with Philly. Interesting as both don't have dense traffic like say Boston or DC, but certainly aggressive.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:51 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I've heard this about Abilene drivers elsewhere on this sub, but experiences during the six years I lived there don't support this. I personally witnessed road rage multiple times in Abilene. One time was when I went straight in the straight only lane on N 1st St. downtown (headed east) and the guy on my left was in the left turn only lane but didn't realize it was a left turn only lane. He laid on the horn and showed me all sorts of interesting hand gestures. Another was when a guy was completely oblivious that he had a yield sign at an intersection with Treadaway (this shouldn't have been surprising to him since Treadaway is a much busier road than the road he was on). It was bizarre, and there was one serious incident on Sayles when I was there where a guy was shot in the head over a road rage incident.

Abilene very much has a southern sort of "culture of honor" where men who feel disrespected are unlikely to let it go. This plays out on the roadways.

"Provoked" is in the eye of the beholder. Someone who is in the wrong but doesn't realize they are in the wrong might think they are being provoked.

DFW is a big city. There are tons of drivers, and if you drive long enough, you will see road rage.

Edit.....just realized this is the same poster who wrote up a big thing about how terrible Arizona people were to him and asked if DFW neighbors bring you pies.
Never heard this term but omg that makes sense.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:06 AM

62 posts, read 30,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Drivers in the DFW area are generally more courteous than they are skilled.
Sounds exactly like Phoenix. Drivers in Phoenix are always courteous, but drive so terribly and do illegal turns and break driving laws.

Idk if I'd say Dallas drivers are courteous. I've driven in Dallas and nobody let me merge onto the highway. Like 5 cars raced passed me. Then one let me on. I remember with a friend, I was saying how those drivers were jerks when i had to switch lanes on the 405. Him being a Dallas local said they were passing me so I could switch.

Thanks for your input. I think I'm ready to drive in Houston. If it's like Dallas driving, I know what to expect.

Again, El Paso has the worst drivers in the country. I'm always amazed at how both rude, uncotoreous, and unskilled they are there.

Old 11-25-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Someone who cuts you off that closely needs to get honked at. That these sorts of actions are leading to road road is a sign of the times.
As I said, cutting in close is what Dallasites do and expect to be done to them. Sometimes, they will give you just a foot or two to cut in front of them for a lane change, and honestly believe that's sufficient space...why aren't you taking it?

Old 11-25-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Idk if I'd say Dallas drivers are courteous. I've driven in Dallas and nobody let me merge onto the highway. Like 5 cars raced passed me. Then one let me on. I remember with a friend, I was saying how those drivers were jerks when i had to switch lanes on the 405. Him being a Dallas local said they were passing me so I could switch.
He was right. Or they actually gave you a couple of feet in front of them and wondered why you didn't take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas