Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 04:54 PM

62 posts, read 30,226 times

Advertisements

Are drivers in the DFW area friendly like they are in Allentown and in Abilene? I imagine that it's so easy to drive in DFW. My assumption is, nobody tailgates anyone except in the left lane and nobody weaves in and out of traffic. I also assume that middle fingers out the window are rare and that road rage is only provoked. People likely don't honk for going the speed limit.

What I am saying is, I am assuming they aren't as aggressive and that it's like driving in Allentown and in Abilene.

Please educate me on Dallas driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 08:11 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastworth View Post
Are drivers in the DFW area friendly like they are in Allentown and in Abilene? I imagine that it's so easy to drive in DFW. My assumption is, nobody tailgates anyone except in the left lane and nobody weaves in and out of traffic. I also assume that middle fingers out the window are rare and that road rage is only provoked. People likely don't honk for going the speed limit.

What I am saying is, I am assuming they aren't as aggressive and that it's like driving in Allentown and in Abilene.

Have you changed your mind from 2:50 this afternoon and now are deciding to move to DFW?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoe...t-queen-2.html

Old 11-20-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Have you changed your mind from 2:50 this afternoon and now are deciding to move to DFW?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoe...t-queen-2.html
Kind of sort of. I was at a Whataburger today in East Mesa and someone opened the restroom door and hit me with it. No apology. The person just looked at me. I then began to think how friendly Dallas is, especially after being tailgated on the way home.

I probably won't move out to Dallas though. I was just having a moment. I just am tired of how things in Phoenix are. I doubt this would happen in Dallas, but I'm not sure.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:29 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Kind of sort of. I was at a Whataburger today in East Mesa and someone opened the restroom door and hit me with it. No apology. The person just looked at me. I then began to think how friendly Dallas is, especially after being tailgated on the way home.

I probably won't move out to Dallas though. I was just having a moment. I just am tired of how things in Phoenix are. I doubt this would happen in Dallas, but I'm not sure.

To answer your original question drivers in DFW are no different than anywhere else. Everything you described and did not think would happen here does happen here. It is very unfortunate but that is what we have become these days.

As for the concept of the restroom door issue we have similar here as well as around the country. Manners and civility are dying traits and have been for awhile. There are good people everywhere and there are not so good people everywhere.

In short select where you want to land based on what you want and have where you took off from. The grass is not always greener on the other side!

Old 11-21-2022, 07:10 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:

Is this satire?

Old 11-21-2022, 07:31 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:

I don't think people in Dallas and Phoenix are all that different

Old 11-21-2022, 12:55 PM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
All I know is that my Dallas driving style was WAY TOO AGGRESSIVE for Boston when I moved there. So you judge.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:27 PM

Somebody I talked to that lives in Dallas said he had a cup thrown at his car once and a gun pulled on him. Now, I can be a little neive and I start thinking that other big metropolis cities drive very well. I'm visiting Houston in 2 weeks. I can't wait to see what driving there is like. I'm neive but I think it'll be like driving in Abilene or in Scranton. Houston might be less aggressive than Dallas, but I'm not sure.

How does Houston driving and traffic compare to that of DFW?

Old 11-21-2022, 01:30 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:

I've heard this about Abilene drivers elsewhere on this sub, but experiences during the six years I lived there don't support this. I personally witnessed road rage multiple times in Abilene. One time was when I went straight in the straight only lane on N 1st St. downtown (headed east) and the guy on my left was in the left turn only lane but didn't realize it was a left turn only lane. He laid on the horn and showed me all sorts of interesting hand gestures. Another was when a guy was completely oblivious that he had a yield sign at an intersection with Treadaway (this shouldn't have been surprising to him since Treadaway is a much busier road than the road he was on). It was bizarre, and there was one serious incident on Sayles when I was there where a guy was shot in the head over a road rage incident.

Abilene very much has a southern sort of "culture of honor" where men who feel disrespected are unlikely to let it go. This plays out on the roadways.

"Provoked" is in the eye of the beholder. Someone who is in the wrong but doesn't realize they are in the wrong might think they are being provoked.

DFW is a big city. There are tons of drivers, and if you drive long enough, you will see road rage.

Edit.....just realized this is the same poster who wrote up a big thing about how terrible Arizona people were to him and asked if DFW neighbors bring you pies.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 11-21-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-21-2022, 01:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Somebody I talked to that lives in Dallas said he had a cup thrown at his car once and a gun pulled on him. Now, I can be a little neive and I start thinking that other big metropolis cities drive very well. I'm visiting Houston in 2 weeks. I can't wait to see what driving there is like. I'm neive but I think it'll be like driving in Abilene or in Scranton. Houston might be less aggressive than Dallas, but I'm not sure.

How does Houston driving and traffic compare to that of DFW?
Dallas = Houston driving, more or less.

I don’t understand how you could possibly think that driving in Houston (6.6 MILLION residents) would be like driving in sleepy, small town Abeliene (125,000 population).

Again, this is satire….right?!

Also, it’s “naive.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas