Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 01:27 PM

122 posts, read 173,398 times

Advertisements

Just received an email regarding the Choose Dallas ISD application. This is for pre-k. It says:
  • Dealey: #33 on the waiting list
  • Solar prep for girls: #61 on the waiting list
  • Meta: #17 on the waiting list
  • Sam Houston: offered placement.

What do these numbers mean exactly? What are the chances? E.g., if we are offered placement in Meta, should we still wait for Dealey (which is our first choice).

Thanks for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 03:08 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,111,266 times
I wouldn’t plan on waiting for Dealey.

If offered a spot at Mata and you are interested in that school I wouldn’t pass it up to wait on Dealey. I don’t think Dealey’s wait list moves that much.

Old 03-01-2023, 05:09 PM

31 posts, read 73,321 times
Our 1st choice "Choose DISD" school lottery has us #30-something on the waitlist. We also don't know what to expect in regards to it moving enough to be offered a spot. Guessing it'll only move enough if dozens of applicants get into their actual preferred school after other admissions decisions are released next week and/or change their minds altogether. Not going to lie, for us it was really more of a solid fall back option in case we don't get into any of the private schools we applied to (and those odds are worse). I'm guessing that's why DISD gives everyone until 3/11 to decide, one day after private school admissions decision.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:15 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,224 times
For Solar Girls, there have been families over the last few years as high as #1 on the waitlist that did not get in for prek-3rd. 4th and 6th waitlists move a little more as those leaving for Travis, Sudie, or Irma give notices after the lottery waitlist goes out.

Old 03-02-2023, 10:43 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeamishday View Post
Our 1st choice "Choose DISD" school lottery has us #30-something on the waitlist. We also don't know what to expect in regards to it moving enough to be offered a spot. Guessing it'll only move enough if dozens of applicants get into their actual preferred school after other admissions decisions are released next week and/or change their minds altogether. Not going to lie, for us it was really more of a solid fall back option in case we don't get into any of the private schools we applied to (and those odds are worse). I'm guessing that's why DISD gives everyone until 3/11 to decide, one day after private school admissions decision.
We applied to Solar Boys for our son at 1st grade since he was moving schools anyways and it felt like a backup plan to a backup plan. It also required basically no time/effort from us. He got waitlisted initially, though it didn't give us the number he was on waitlist. We got an automated email about 2 days before DISD began school (this was 2020 when DISD started in mid-September b/c of Covid) saying a spot had opened for him and we had 48 hours to accept. I think things like this happen more often than you'd think in DISD (though probably not at the 5-6 most popular schools like Dealey, Sudie, Travis, Solar Girls) but you have to be flexible and willing to enter August without a solid plan and most parents like you aren't willing to do that. Our son had already been in school a month, so it drove home the fact that DISD and situations like that are not for us.

Old 03-02-2023, 01:34 PM

19 posts, read 13,821 times
We only applied to one choice for our PK3 and we're pretty low on the waitlist. But, as noted by another comment, the district will continue to shuffle into October (end of first grading period)...you may end up getting a spot at Mata since with PreK people still choose to stay home, stay in daycare or day school, etc.

Old 03-05-2023, 12:29 PM

245 posts, read 254,323 times
The numbers mean it’s time to buy a new house!

Old 03-06-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
The numbers mean it’s time to buy a new house!
I'm not following your comment...

Old 03-06-2023, 09:05 AM

625 posts, read 666,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple44 View Post
I'm not following your comment...
I'm guessing they mean that you are low on the waitlists - so probably unlikely. I think I saw you also applied to some privates - so you'll probably have a lot of options.

Additionally, PK Choice ISD classes have limited availability as I'm sure you know (small class sizes). If you are interested again next year, there will be more spots most likely in Kinder.

Old 03-06-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
I'm guessing they mean that you are low on the waitlists - so probably unlikely. I think I saw you also applied to some privates - so you'll probably have a lot of options.

Additionally, PK Choice ISD classes have limited availability as I'm sure you know (small class sizes). If you are interested again next year, there will be more spots most likely in Kinder.
Ah ok. I don't see the connection between this and buying a new house. We are in Lakewood, which doesn't have pre-K, hence we are looking for pre-k options. If my daughter doesn't get into any of these public schools, and also not get into any private schools, then she'll just stay in the daycare and then go to Lakewood elementary for kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: