Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 07:57 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,090,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What you do not like about your car you do not have to accept. Mine uses regular, has a cigarette lighter, manual windows and nothing to track it by. It does not talk, whistle or complain. What does every car on the market currently share?
Every new car on the market is way too big. They make them bigger and bigger, and they systematically seem to discontinue the next smallest model each year. This trend has been going on since the 1990s, and a smart solution was proposed then that fell on deaf ears.
https://unixpapa.com/cars.html

Do you propose people can build their own cars in different sizes?

We seem to have a similar problem with houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 08:29 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Every new car on the market is way too big. They make them bigger and bigger, and they systematically seem to discontinue the next smallest model each year. This trend has been going on since the 1990s, and a smart solution was proposed then that fell on deaf ears.
https://unixpapa.com/cars.html

Do you propose people can build their own cars in different sizes?

We seem to have a similar problem with houses.
Maybe try a Fiat, a Prius, a Leaf or a Mini Cooper. You can always complement your tiny house with an electric bike. Or pony and cart and file ag exemption on the property.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:01 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
Quote:
https://unixpapa.com/cars.html.
Wow. That is perhaps the dumbest article I’ve ever read. According to this, my husband is still allowed to keep his pickup truck since he uses it to work on our small farm, but I have to get rid of my SUV (which is 2-wheel drive) since I primarily drive on paved roads. Nevermind that I drive a SUV so I can carry a cooler to go to the grocery store, carry items needed for my job and volunteer work, and I also go to the feed store, too.

The Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corolla, and Honda Civic are all still being made. If you’re looking for a small, cheap car, those three are your best options. I have zero desire to drive a car that small, and it wouldn’t be able to do what I need it to do anyway.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:22 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,219,204 times
I agree. I first got an AWD car because we had a steep paved driveway and my regular car couldn't get up and down it when the weather was bad. Where we currently live is pretty hilly so we always have at least one AWD or 4WD car. While we only have 2 kids, my mother-in-law lives with us and can't drive. My sister stays with us 3 weeks every year. When we had a 3 row SUV we filled all 3 rows quite often. I miss having the space. When my kids were little having a minivan was wonderful because they could open and close the doors themselves and climb in and out of the car without help. That was very helpful when I sprained my ankle.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:13 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,090,802 times
Quote:
Maybe try a Fiat, a Prius, a Leaf or a Mini Cooper. You can always complement your tiny house with an electric bike. Or pony and cart and file ag exemption on the property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Wow. That is perhaps the dumbest article I’ve ever read. According to this, my husband is still allowed to keep his pickup truck since he uses it to work on our small farm, but I have to get rid of my SUV (which is 2-wheel drive) since I primarily drive on paved roads. Nevermind that I drive a SUV so I can carry a cooler to go to the grocery store, carry items needed for my job and volunteer work, and I also go to the feed store, too.

The Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corolla, and Honda Civic are all still being made. If you’re looking for a small, cheap car, those three are your best options. I have zero desire to drive a car that small, and it wouldn’t be able to do what I need it to do anyway.

Those cars are all still too big and uncomfortable for me. The Corolla is too wide, and the Civic is too low and wide. They all need to be a lot narrower. I'd like a Smart car but gas-powered and with better acceleration. They are so cute!

Old 12-17-2023, 01:39 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Those cars are all still too big and uncomfortable for me. The Corolla is too wide, and the Civic is too low and wide. They all need to be a lot narrower. I'd like a Smart car but gas-powered and with better acceleration. They are so cute!
New Balance makes them. They are called walking shoes.

How to fit a gun cart into a Smart? That might make a doctoral thesis.

Old 12-17-2023, 03:21 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
Quote:
Those cars are all still too big and uncomfortable for me. The Corolla is too wide, and the Civic is too low and wide. They all need to be a lot narrower.
This does make sense since you don’t drive on highways… but for the rest of Texas, those cars are tiny!!!

Old 12-18-2023, 06:50 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
Quote:
What you do not like about your car you do not have to accept. Mine uses regular, has a cigarette lighter, manual windows and nothing to track it by. It does not talk, whistle or complain. What does every car on the market currently share?
Does it also have up to date computerized control of fuel/air/ignition? A full complement of air bags? 30 MPG in mixed driving? Modern emission controls?

Old 12-18-2023, 07:00 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
Quote:
And, you're deflecting attention away from the immediate point posters here have with you - your insistence that "no one's forcing you to buy a [open floor plan, larger than you want, etc.] house with design you don't like".

Yes, in theory that's true: but you refuse to accept that for the vast majority of people there are practical limitations.

If I have a job in a particular location, a spouse with a job in a particular location, children with specific educational needs, want to live in a place that's relatively safe, and I have limited funds, then it's very likely that there are only a small number of house locations that meet my needs for rational commutes for two spouses (plus access to day care and other matters), appropriate schools, general safety, and budget. If all the houses in those areas are of a particular design type, I'm either going to make compromises on other matters and buy elsewhere (excessive commutes? Bad schools? High crime?), or I"m going to grit my teeth and compromise on the design of the house.

It is a complete fantasy to imagine that someone who's gritted their teeth, compromised and bought a house of a type they don't really want, is now going to live in a hotel for 6 months and spend half again the cost of the place to completely redesign, rebuild, remodel it to make fundamental changes in its layout. (And of course, if you really want a 1/10 acre zero-lot-line and you grit your teeth and settle for a 1/4 acre rambler because that's what's available within the above constraints, you couldn't turn it into a 1/10 acre zero-lot-line even if you DID have near-infinite time energy and resources).

You need to lift your head up and look at how actual people live and how actual people make choices in their actual real lives, not in your fantasy.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:24 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
It just may make owning and living in a home as gross, irritating, inconvenient and noisy as
what apartment-living is much of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas