Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
No one else could possibly be crazy as I am
Amen.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 PM

8 posts, read 15,448 times
I'm new to this site, and have been amused by the many anti-Frisco comments.

I am a Dallas native. I attended public schools in DISD and Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD. I have lived inside LBJ (a distinction that seems to matter to some folks) and outside.

My husband and I love the charm of established Dallas neighborhoods. We swoon when driving through Forest Hills, Lakewood, North Oak Cliff, M Streets. We love it.

But, we're not made of money. Our families don't have lots of money. Quality education is important to us. And, yes, DISD has pockets of excellence, but no one can convince me it's good enough overall. And it's certainly not available, K-12, in the neighborhoods we can afford. (I know -- there are magnet schools. My husband attended the TAG magnet for middle school before attending and graduating from W.T. White. But those aren't guarantees.)

Our Frisco elementary school is excellent. The commitment to smaller campuses was a big draw for us. And parental involvement and strong leadership are huge reasons why our school succeeds. There is nothing our son lacks in instruction or care. And he even has friends of different national origins (another distinction that seems so important on some of these posts)!

I am incredulous when I read that Frisco (or Plano or Allen) are void of personality or are beige or are cookie-cutter communities. These are all communities made of real people, just like Dallas and other cities. When I am at the Frisco Athletic Center, I am surrounded by vibrant people, many of whom I recognize from around town. When I am at the library, I am surrounded by folks of all backgrounds. When my family and I enjoy a free concert on parkgrounds during the summer, we make new friends and greet old ones.

We know our neighbors and help one another. We walk and run and bike through our streets and greenbelts. We aren't all "corporate nomads" (I think I read that). We volunteer and invest time in our community.

Drawing lines between in-town and surburban dwellers creates awful stereotypes and hostility that just isn't necessary.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFrisco View Post

I am a Dallas native. I attended public schools in DISD and Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD. I have lived inside LBJ (a distinction that seems to matter to some folks) and outside.

My husband and I love the charm of established Dallas neighborhoods. We swoon when driving through Forest Hills, Lakewood, North Oak Cliff, M Streets. We love it.

But, we're not made of money. Our families don't have lots of money. Quality education is important to us. And, yes, DISD has pockets of excellence, but no one can convince me it's good enough overall. And it's certainly not available, K-12, in the neighborhoods we can afford. (I know -- there are magnet schools. My husband attended the TAG magnet for middle school before attending and graduating from W.T. White. But those aren't guarantees.)

Our Frisco elementary school is excellent. The commitment to smaller campuses was a big draw for us. And parental involvement and strong leadership are huge reasons why our school succeeds. There is nothing our son lacks in instruction or care. And he even has friends of different national origins (another distinction that seems so important on some of these posts)!

I am incredulous when I read that Frisco (or Plano or Allen) are void of personality or are beige or are cookie-cutter communities. These are all communities made of real people, just like Dallas and other cities. When I am at the Frisco Athletic Center, I am surrounded by vibrant people, many of whom I recognize from around town. When I am at the library, I am surrounded by folks of all backgrounds. When my family and I enjoy a free concert on parkgrounds during the summer, we make new friends and greet old ones.

We know our neighbors and help one another. We walk and run and bike through our streets and greenbelts. We aren't all "corporate nomads" (I think I read that). We volunteer and invest time in our community.

Drawing lines between in-town and surburban dwellers creates awful stereotypes and hostility that just isn't necessary.
Nicely said.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
They do tend to be over exaggerated. I think the problem is too many Suburban dwellers think the suburbs, which work for their lifestyle,are the ideal, and the older part of the city is a terrible cesspit with nothing to recommend them.

Too many Urban dwellers think their neighborhoods , which work for their lifestyle, are the ideal, and the newer suburbs are terrible cesspits with nothing to recommend them.

I've lived in both. nothing on earth would get me to move back to a suburb of Dallas. I like the amenities of the city, I like being able to walk to small restaurants, coffee shops etc. I carefully selected a neighborhood with excellent schools for my child. Visiting all the schools I was interested in more than once before making my decision.

I have friends in the suburbs who would never move to the city. they like the newer homes, the more spread out dwellings, knowing that the whole school district is good, and not having to worry about finding the perfect home, then looking up the school, finding out it is terrible, and starting the search all over again.

There are differences, important differences, differences everyone should know before deciding where to live, but it doesn't make one better than the other, better for you or me sure, but not objectively better.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
No one else could possibly be crazy as I am
Now that's quite a challenge to throw down

Old 08-04-2008, 11:31 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,882 times
Quote:

You make several excellent points and I strongly agree with Macbeth's response to your post that it boils down to what makes an individual happy and what they believe is best for them and their families. That is really where the debate ends, personal choice for self interest.

One thing I will say is that the perception of hostility towards Frisco, or wherever is directly connected to what is closest or favored by the reader. I read this forum daily and I tend to notice as much if not more hostility directed to close in neighborhoods in Dallas as I notice concerning hostility towards the burbs. So, when one reads derogatory comments about Frisco, Plano, Lakewood, Oak Cliff, etc and has never lived there and has no desire to they are likely to keep reading and store that info in the back of their brain if at all. On the other hand, when negative comments are posted about anyone's home they are going to notice and in most cases respond. (Though it does get exhausting defending areas at times.)

I agree that drawing lines between the city and the suburbs, or for that matter neighborhoods within a city or suburb really doesn't help our region much at all. But it cuts both ways.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,449 times
Quote:

----
"Drawing lines between in-town and surburban dwellers creates awful stereotypes and hostility that just isn't necessary.[/quote]"

This is America--reading this forum you will get the good, bad and ugly side of how people perceive things. I guess you could use this forum for GREAT information and also to keep a pulse on the stereotypes that are out there because they are "real" and people's posts and opinions are a reflection of their perspective. People think what they will think and the best thing you could do is to post a response like you just did to help the other readers gain a different perspective. Kudos.

I have seen some off the wall and erroneous posts since I have joined this forum. Thank goodness that everyone seems to be good sports and not afraid to share their thoughts which gives a sort of "balance" to the forum.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:19 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
Quote:

As Macbeth said, the stereotypes are typically exaggerated. Many of us that chose to live "inside the loop" have done so for personal reasons. It's worth noting that you don't have to be rich as you stated though. We paid $98 per square foot for a home in Lake Highlands (75231) area code. Granted, it needed some TLC and now would sell for $125/sq ft, but that is far from the price of areas such as Lakewood and the Park Cities.

If you read many of our posts about living in Dallas, we typically tout what Dallas does have to offer - the unique charm, larger option of locally owned restaurants, proximity to downtown and/or our jobs, etc. Then we get comments like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katefrisco View Post
Having grown up in the Park Cities and now living in Frisco, you could not pay me to move south of LBJ unless it WAS the Park Cities. So what if its the burbs. I don't miss the breakins that I had when I lived in the M Streets. Sorry but waiting over an hour for DPD to show up...not so good. Dallas City Council is a joke, DISD is a joke...
Dealing with the City of Frisco has been a dream. Before I moved here I spent a lot of time at City Hall in the Planning and Zoning and Engineering Departments with a lot of questions. Each time I visited people were courteous and answered my questions and concerns. So knock the burbs all you want. Who gives a rats ass about the gangland that is south of LBJ. Oh and you can keep DART...what an improvement that has been for overall safety.
...which obviously feeds into the Frisco stereotype that we detest. People blanketing DISD as if it were one school. People that hate public transportation. People that blanket DPD as ineffective and Dallas as a crime ridden cess pool. These are the ignorant, close minded, "me first" type I personally try to avoid in my personal life. Thank God no one like this lives on my street.

So choice in where you live is indeed a personal choice that has to meet YOUR needs at the current point in time in YOUR life. I have lived in Plano, Allen and Dallas (Lake Highlands). Provided the experiences I have had and the things I enjoy in life over the last 8 years of living in the DFW area and I will take Dallas - in particular: Lakewood, Lake Highlands and Uptown/Knox-Hendersen every day of the week. It also helps that my wife and I have short commutes from Dallas. If we lived in Frisco, our commutes would be hellish and would drastically decrease our quality of life by increasing our commute expense and decrease the amount of time we can enjoy our family, friends and each other.

That is why we chose Dallas.

Brian

Last edited by lh_newbie; 08-05-2008 at 06:21 AM..

Old 08-05-2008, 05:55 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,836 times
Quote:
I'm new to this site, and have been amused by the many anti-Frisco comments...

But, we're not made of money...
Very nice post. Just to add: there are many people who could afford to live anywhere in the metroplex they want, and choose Frisco, Plano, wherever. As a subsequent poster has said, you also don't have to be made of money to live in those other places. Despite what others may think, many of us CHOOSE to live where we live.

For many, the choice is due to our businesses' location. For others it's schools. I too am amused by the constant slamming of the suburbs. It's funny to read the totally false and baseless misconceptions that are bandied about. And for many of us, like moths driven to the flame, we allow ourselves to sink to the level of those who make these inane and ignorant comments, and enter the fray. At least it keeps things interesting.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:58 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
As Macbeth said, the stereotypes are typically exaggerated. Many of us that chose to live "inside the loop" have done so for personal reasons. It's worth noting that you don't have to be rich as you stated though. We paid $98 per square foot for a home in Lake Highlands (75231) area code. Granted, it needed some TLC and now would sell for $125/sq ft, but that is far from the price of areas such as Lakewood and the Park Cities.

If you read many of our posts about living in Dallas, we typically tout what Dallas does have to offer - the unique charm, larger option of locally owned restaurants, proximity to downtown and/or our jobs, etc. Then we get comments like this:

...which obviously feeds into the Frisco stereotype that we detest. People blanketing DISD as if it were one school. People that hate public transportation. People that blanked DPD as uneffective and Dallas as a crime ridden cess pool. These are the ignorant, close minded, "me first" type I personally try to avoid in my personal life. Thank God no one like this lives on my street.

So choice in where you live is indeed a personal choice that has to meet YOUR needs at the current point in time in YOUR life. I have lived in Plano, Allen and Dallas (Lake Highlands). Provided the experiences I have had and the things I enjoy in life over the last 8 years of living in the DFW area and I will take Dallas - in particular: Lakewood, Lake Highlands and Uptown/Knox-Hendersen every day of the week. It also helps that my wife and I have short commutes from Dallas. If we lived in Frisco, our commutes would be hellish and would drastically decrease our quality of life by increasing our commute expense and decrease the amount of time we can enjoy our family, friends and each other.

That is why we chose Dallas.

Brian
Great post, lh_newbie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas