Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 PM

96 posts, read 421,810 times

Advertisements

I will be moving back to Texas in the fall of 2009 from the Midwest and will highly consider CH because
Quote:
of it's diversity. I do not have any children so the statement I am about to say is what I have observed over my 10 years of providing therapy to children in their homes. The BEST child(ren) I have ever came into contact with are the homeschooled child(ren). These children are respectful, honest, intelligent and the most socialized children I have ever met. But what may surprise most of you is that the parents lived in modest homes basically because they were living off one income; that of the father. So blame of a child's behavior should be placed were it belongs... back in the hands of the upbringin of the parents not the school districts. Cedar Hill residents, here I come.
Welcome eyewrist. Cedar Hill is a good place to live.

We home school one of our children the other goes to public school. It turned out that child learned better with the peer support and competition we couldn't provide. I agree socialization has more to do with the child's upbringing. Personally, IMO, both our children are very social but so is my wife and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:34 PM

14 posts, read 68,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2008 View Post
Hi, if you have not been to cedar hill yet take a visit there. It is really a nice area..There are many blacks in this area that are doing exceptionally well for themselves..you can tell by the homes they own and the well kept neighborhoods. I have heard though that there are areas of Cedar Hill to avoid but this will be the case in any area you move to. All areas have there good and there bad. One poster mentioned the blacks in cedar hill are of higher class but characterized there kids of sometimes acting ghetto. My opinion is class is a state of mind; however, the blacks in cedar hill do seem to make a good living so they can afford to live better and their kids don't act any different from the kids you'll find in similar neighborhoods dominated by whites.

Good Luck
Thank you for stating that. Teenagers will be teenagers. It's not a black thing or a white thing or a ghetto or high class. They all do the same sugar honey ice tea

Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 PM

277 posts, read 577,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular joe View Post
I only wish this kind of diversity was reflected in the school district. One of the teachers in CH informed me that alot of students from dallas attend cedar hill schools (they just provide a friend's address), though the district is not enforcing boundaries because more kids means more funding from the state.

This is definitely true. I can tell you as a sub who worked in CH that you could spot the difference between a kid who spent his whole life in CH, versus one who moved from (for lack of a better term) the ghetto. I had kids who during free time in the period would draw or write stuff like Oak Cliff on the blackboard. I tried to slap (not literally) some sense into them that their parents didn't work hard and move to the suburbs for you to act 'gangsta'.

I have a 9 year old daughter who goes to Bray elementary and has wonderful teachers and great diversity. Her soccer team is almost a full spectrum of the rainbow. Of the 14 girls on the team 3 are white, 4 are black, 3 are hispanic and 4 are of mixed race.

And I don't recall who stated that "Permenter Junior High" is falling apart, but its in fine shape. I never saw anything that was due to neglect or poor maintenance. In fact, I thought they kept it up pretty well for a 20 year old school. The high school could use a little bit of an overhaul, but its newer parts are nice.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,803 times
I agree with moving 2008... That was rude to say that the Blacks were high class but their kids stillact ghetto. I agree that class is a state of mind. There are white kids these days that act worse than the blacks. All kids act up so let's not just single out one race.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 AM

43 posts, read 169,939 times
I have been searching for a home all around the Dallas area. ( and others) I lived in Farmers Branch once and it was just fine. From what I am seeing Realtors are "all over the place" when they are pricing homes per square foot. Could be the owners or a host of other reasons. Overall, there are some beautiful homes in CH with fair prices UNLESS you would be buying into a neighborhood where resale is an issue or a person would be living in fear. Corinth has some nice homes which seemed to be priced right, as well as McKinney. Some areas are just crazy. Grapevine is overpriced....Frisco and others. Typically cities always grow North since the days of the settlers when they would move in and throw their trash in the rivers. Cities like Dallas just spread out in all directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas