Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:02 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
Hammie I suggest that rent in Dallas so you can visit both the north,south, east, west for yourself and do your research.

People will give you out dated and biassed opinions sometimes and that would be ashame if you didn't check it out yourself.

The southern parts of Dallas county IMO has had an image problem that is being changed as we speak.

It took me 3 years to actually go and visit myself as I fell victim to the gossip and moved up north due to the great marketing(Hype) and nice area that the northern dallas burbs are.

As I understand it the burb I currently live in -Frisco was not as nice as it is today 10 years ago.

When I actually took the time to explore east, west and south of the city I was amazed at the different benefits each area offered as far as lifestyle and scenery.

PLEASE explore and make your own conclusion.
Great Comment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 PM

69 posts, read 165,885 times
Default That is a great comment!

Rosscountry, thank you. I am going to rent and I think I've decided on the eastern suburbs: Sunnyvale, Balch Springs, Lakewood, Lake Highlands (maybe). I haven't seen as much for rent out there, though. I am checking Craigslist & realtor.com. I might be coming out there next week. My price range is up to $1500/mo for a house. Any suggestions for other good areas to the east?

Thanks, everyone!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Rosscountry, thank you. I am going to rent and I think I've decided on the eastern suburbs: Sunnyvale, Balch Springs, Lakewood, Lake Highlands (maybe). I haven't seen as much for rent out there, though. I am checking Craigslist & realtor.com. I might be coming out there next week. My price range is up to $1500/mo for a house. Any suggestions for other good areas to the east?

Thanks, everyone!
Glad to hear you decided on a certain area. All 4 of those are wonderful areas.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:15 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post

Thanks, everyone!
Hammie, if you are looking in Balch Springs, you have to be very diligent in your search. Lots of sketchy areas.

As far as Sunnyvale goes, this town is pretty much owner occupied. Not much in the way of rentals (not saying they don't exist, but they aren't plentiful).

Edited to add: Hammie, I did a little digging and found a total of ONE house for rent in Sunnyvale, and it was going for $2500 a month.
I'm just not familiar enough with Lakewood and LH to make any suggestions. Lakewooder, where are you at to help this one?

Good luck.

Last edited by jeffari-al-texani; 10-01-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
If he is considering moving east he should take a look at Mesquite. Creek Crossing and the homes located around Northwest drive would be a good fit. I also caution you about Balch Springs. It has plenty of sketchy area's.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 PM

69 posts, read 165,885 times
This is exactly the kind of info I need. You guys are the best! Thank you so very much & keep the info coming. I am very excited about coming to Texas!

Any other suggestions for communities to the east of Dallas with "reasonable" commuting times?

Old 10-04-2008, 05:24 PM

If your looking east I would suggest Mesquite if you really want to stick with the 30 minute commute time. If your willing to add 10 minutes your options open up quite a bit. You could look at Rowlette, Rockwall, Forney and the backside of Garland. All of them have very nice places to live. For Mesquite look at the area that feed into Horn High school. There is also a great neighborhood located near Barnes Bridge/Northwest area. Look around the Palos Verdes area. I believe this area feeds into Poteet highschool which is the best one in Mesquite ISD IMHO. Sunnyvale would be really nice but I doubt you can find anything in your price range. These would be my recommendations for the eastern burbs.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:22 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,718 times
I always forget about Grainraiser's part of Mesquite. Those were all farms back when I was growing up, and it was too far south to really be acceptable to the wife when we were looking for a place.

But if Hammie needs to get downtown, he could go south on Belt Line, hit 20 going west and then shoot up 175 to downtown. You never really hear about traffic on 175 on the traffic reports, right?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:36 PM

He could take 20 or 175 to Downtown. I would best to listen to the radio in the morning and pick his route. Thats what I did when I drove into Downtown. I now drive over to Garland and catch the park & ride. I drop my son off at Terry middle school, drive to transit station off Duck Creek and make it to my office (Elm & Griffith) in 50 minutes.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 AM

164 posts, read 792,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW8 View Post
Ok, I just gotta share this with everyone as I got a big laugh out of it today. Okay, today I was at a meeting at 635 and 75 Central. We got out about 5:00 this afternoon so it was rush hour and traffic was bad. As we were leaving, everybody was talking about how bad traffic is as we walked outside and this one person said that he lives in Stonebridge in McKinney and he can be at 75 Central and 380 from where we were at in 20 minutes! I started laughing and told him that there was no way unless he had some type of flying car that could go over all the traffic. Sometimes, it can take 45 minutes just to get from McKinney to 190(George Bush Turnpike). Geez some people crack me up, like literally I wanted to drive to McKinney myself just to prove that it takes more than 20 minutes!
It takes more than 20 minutes to get from Allen to 380 in Mckinney during rush hour!!!!

Maybe it would take 20 minutes if it were Sunday morning at 2 am and he drove 90 miles an hour. Dude is smoking crack.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas