Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:59 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

What ticked me off was, I was asking this question for my situation and you came in here with that response. Dude live where you want to live but at least answer the question first. Maybe I should have said that first and left it alone.........

BTW:

CH-33% black
Desoto-45.% black
Lanc.-53% black

How did you come up with 90% black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
What ticked me off was, I was asking this question for my situation and you came in here with that response. Dude live where you want to live but at least answer the question first. Maybe I should have said that first and left it alone.........

BTW:

CH-33% black
Desoto-45.% black
Lanc.-53% black

How did you come up with 90% black?
I am guessing all the white people in those stats live outside of the areas I was in. I am just calling it as I see it. I literally did not see one white person in my 30 minute drive through the area. I drove by 4 houses in 4 different neighborhoods. 2 in lancaster and 2 in cedar hill. I did see lots of cars with 24"-26" spinners though.

I drove down pleasant run all the way to 67 and it was the same the whole way. Maybe there are some nicer parts of the town but I didnt see them. The whole reason I came on here was to warn people. If I knew what I knwo now I would have never wasted my time driving down there to look at houses.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Dave,it's cool man. No need to explain. You're a adult man. I don't care where you live. It's a free country. If you don't want to live around blacks that's fine...........no hard feelings.

Like you said, there are many blacks that don't want to live around whites. I've lived in both situations, both were/are in upscale neighborhoods so there was/is no akward feeling, at least for me.

I feel very comfortable around anyone and any race/ethnicity even street thugs and criminals, but that's just me Dave......

No hard feelings,really.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:16 PM

434 posts, read 1,482,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I am guessing all the white people in those stats live outside of the areas I was in. I am just calling it as I see it. I literally did not see one white person in my 30 minute drive through the area. I drove by 4 houses in 4 different neighborhoods. 2 in lancaster and 2 in cedar hill. I did see lots of cars with 24"-26" spinners though.

I drove down pleasant run all the way to 67 and it was the same the whole way. Maybe there are some nicer parts of the town but I didnt see them. The whole reason I came on here was to warn people. If I knew what I knwo now I would have never wasted my time driving down there to look at houses.

yeah Dave-- you have what we call a limitted view and perception.
But we all see what we are conditioned to see and have that right.

There are nice parts and not so nice parts in the northern burbs and southern burbs.
For every crappy part of the southern burbs I can point out a like crappy part in the northern burbs. its true that the northern burbs have gotten most of the new developement..but development isn't only limitted to one area.

I appreciate your point of view as you were only saying what you were able to witness. If you are the great person I know you are then don't lock yourself off from giving the southern burbs another visit...some of the most beautiful/scenic parts of Dallas are in the southern burbs.

There are a lot of people that know this already. I think they should take the time to share their good experiences more instead of only defending the area when it is attacked..

Old 10-17-2008, 04:48 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Quote:

To pass judgement on an entire city like Lancaster because of one gas station is totally outrageous. There are quite a few gas stations in the city and they are not "ghetto". I don't live in a "ghetto" and find such label highly offensive. Had you driven just a little further east past that gas station, you would have seen two of Lancaster's nicest neighborhoods - Pleasant Run Estates and Millbrook.

If you would have gone into a grocery store, Wal-Mart, or any large chain store in Lancaster, DeSoto, and Cedar Hill, you would have seen a diversity of people.

I am African-American and live in a predominately African-American neighborhood. If you moved in next to me, there would be no reason for you to feel uncomfortable. The people living here would look out for you regardless of your skin color.

There is no need to warn people to exclude this area from consideration before they have an opportunity to see the various neighborhoods and get a true feel of each community.

Quote:
I have read that in those southern towns "white flight" is happening. If you dont know what that means, google it. .
I am fully aware of what "White Flight" is, but are you aware of "Black Flight"? That is the movement of middle-class African-Americans to the suburbs. Yes, the demographics have changed in the southern suburbs over the past ten to fifteen years, but each of the towns have remained solidly middle-class because the families moving in typically have incomes equal to or higher than the ones moving out.

The demographics of all cities in the area are changing and will continue to change. Both northern and southern suburbs are becoming more diverse. The only places that aren't changing are the built-out, highly-affluent communities like the Park Cities. If you don't live there, then expect to see changes in the future.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:41 PM

216 posts, read 716,227 times
Quote:
I am not a racist person. The bottom line is if your comfortable living in a place that has very few white people then its the place for you. I personally would not want to raise my children there. Maybe I just have higher standards than most people.

why do you equate black neighborhoods with lower standards? These are middle class, safe, communities. Your statement above says more about you than youd like to admit.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:13 PM

216 posts, read 716,227 times
to be fair to Dave, A recent AP-Yahoo News poll found that 40 percent of all white Americans hold at least a partly negative view toward blacks, so clearly Dave is not alone. at least he openly admits to it (even though its behind the annonymity of a screen name)

living in cedar hill in a mostly black neighborhood has helped debunk all those stereotypes out there. For example, i have had it whispered that blacks are more likely not to take care of their lawns. NOT true! Almost all homes in my street have great well taken care of yards. In my street, the only house with weeds happens to belong to a young caucasian family.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with living in a black neighborhood

Old 10-17-2008, 06:32 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,537 times
I was in Duncanville for the first time last week and the blacks we visited were on a very nice street with nice homes. Not sure if whites live on the street or not since I didn't go door to door to check. Didn't see many cars with spinners either but then again wasn't looking for them. I think I would like to move to one of the cities mentioned in this thread also. I personally like to be around my progressive, hard working, middle class black people. It keeps hope alive!

I guess the black guy that is robbing and beating women in Valley Ranch is probably from Desoto, Lancaster or Cedar Hill cause we all know he can't be from this safe uspscale area. Better tell Irving Police to head south to look for him!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 PM

96 posts, read 421,810 times
Right caligurltotx. I was a home health therapist a few years ago and covered Duncanville. My supervisor came down w/ me to some of the homes I visited. She was a 50ish white lady from way up north like Frisco. She was afraid at first but after meeting the families and driving in and out of the neighborhoods she actually got interested in moving down here to be close to our office in dtn Dallas. One home we visited was in Greenbriar Estates, (south Duncanville). While outside the house she actually asked me how a black family could have the means to live in such a big, beautiful home. The home was very beautiful inside and out, and the family was always friendly.

Back to Cedar Hill life, yes, there are black people here and even some drive around w/ spinners but so what, if that is scary then please move somewhere you will be happy. From what Dave wrote, it looked like he just clipped the far northeastern corner of the city.
There is plenty more to see and do.
The route Rosscountry described, down 1382 and back out beltline west down the hill and over the lake are two of my favorite scenic roadways around these parts. I also would recomend cutting up thru Sleepy Hollow. And while we are at it, don't forget to drive down Robin Road to the end of it, or if you have time check out old west beltline neighborhoods. There are some great views from those houses overlooking the lake, there is not anything like it around Dallas. Oh the afford a house up there, I would move there in a second over anything Plano thinks it can muster up on those treeless, flat plains.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:31 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
I currently live in a loft apartment in Downtown Dallas. I have lived in the area for 2 years. I am looking to get a house in the suburbs. I was looking on line for houses and saw that down in Lancaster, Cedar Hill, and Desoto you can get a LOT for your money. Then I took a drive down there and I realized why. I am going to look at some places in Plano where I fit in a little better with your average predominantly white suburban community. Plus I have a baby on the way and I dont want my kid going to school in south Dallas. From what I have seen if you stay above 635 your pretty much in a good area. Some parts near whiterock are nice to but its scattered. Highland park is also nice and near downtown but I cant afford a million dollar house.

Dave I know exactly the corner your talking about and it mostly blacks at that location and there no denying this. Although I grew up close to the area I am not really familiar with Lancaster. I do know alot more about Cedar Hill. The closer you are to the lake the nicer the homes and the more whites you will see. I have a cousin who lives in that area and she is the only black on her street. They live among huge trees and rolling hills. To be fair to Dave that area he was in is mostly black and I see much of what he is talking about. Perception is everything and it would be easy to write off the city based on what he saw. I would simply suggest he take ride around Cedar Hill near the lake and Grand Prairie border and then report back. I willing to bet you that his perception changes and he puts the area on his list. I see what he is saying and I can see why he has come to the conclusion that he has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas