Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:06 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,910,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Thank you so much for this comment! DeSoto and the southern suburbs are not "ghettos."
Every city around here as most around the country have some area that can be described as "ghetto". Even IN Collin County. McKinney and Plano BOTH have areas of "ghetto".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,109,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Every city around here as most around the country have some area that can be described as "ghetto". Even IN Collin County. McKinney and Plano BOTH have areas of "ghetto".
You are right. Every city has its good and bad areas. What I mean't to say was that the majority of neighborhoods in the southern suburbs are not "ghettos."

Old 11-10-2008, 11:12 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,469,713 times
This is my story. I have only lived in Dallas for two years. I have lived in Downtown for this entire time. All my friends live north or east of downtown. About two months ago I was in a search for houses in the Dallas area that were around $130,000-$160,000. I saw that good deals were to be had in Desoto, Lancaster, and Cedar Hill. So one day before going with the realtor I decided to take it upon myself to drive down there and drive by 3-4 of these houses and see the neighborhoods. I drove down there and when I got to the 1st house I was driving through the neighborhood and did not see one white person. Every person wether driving, walking, working in their yard, were all african american. Out of the 3-4 houses I drove by I did not see one non black person. Thats 3 different neighborhoods in three different southern Dallas towns and I didnt see any white people. It is a fact. I saw it with my own eyes. I do not want to live in a town like that. I can assure you I do not hate black people at all. If its OK for the blacks to want to live together in south dallas then it is OK for the non blacks to want to live together in North Dallas.

So I told my realtor to show me houses in Plano and we found a very nice house there for $145,000.

And one more thing.....google "white flight"

Last edited by DaveG99; 11-10-2008 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:00 PM

869 posts, read 2,956,641 times
Cedar Hill is 34% black.
DeSoto is 45% black.
Duncanville is 25% black.
Lancaster is 53% black.

Seems to me you must have missed a lot of non-black people in your vast journeys through those areas. Maybe they were just all hiding from you?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
This is my story. I have only lived in Dallas for two years. I have lived in Downtown for this entire time. All my friends live north or east of downtown. About two months ago I was in a search for houses in the Dallas area that were around $130,000-$160,000. I saw that good deals were to be had in Desoto, Lancaster, and Cedar Hill. So one day before going with the realtor I decided to take it upon myself to drive down there and drive by 3-4 of these houses and see the neighborhoods. I drove down there and when I got to the 1st house I was driving through the neighborhood and did not see one white person. Every person wether driving, walking, working in their yard, were all african american. Out of the 3-4 houses I drove by I did not see one non black person. Thats 3 different neighborhoods in three different southern Dallas towns and I didnt see any white people. It is a fact. I saw it with my own eyes. I do not want to live in a town like that. I can assure you I do not hate black people at all. If its OK for the blacks to want to live together in south dallas then it is OK for the non blacks to want to live together in North Dallas.

So I told my realtor to show me houses in Plano and we found a very nice house there for $145,000.

And one more thing.....google "white flight"
I am fully aware of "White Flight". Are you familiar with "Black Flight"? People on this forum who live in the southern suburbs have told you countless times that regardless of what you saw on a visit, there is a mix of people in all of the communities. Why would race matter if the neighbors in the first home you looked at were just living their day-to-day lives and in the case of one doing yard work, trying to ensure that his/her home had curbside appeal? Those people were probably too occupied with what they were doing to notice your race. If you found something nice in Plano, good for you. But for you to say that Lancaster, DeSoto, or any other suburb is only "good" for a particular race and not others, you are clearly wrong.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:31 PM

Im going to go to the walmart in desoto and take a video and post it here. You will see what I am talking about. Do you people live there? Have you ever been there? Are you blind? Drive from lancaster to Cedar hill on Pleasant run and you will see for yourself. Im not saying being black is bad or that living there is bad. Im just trying to let the people know what they will find when they get there.

Last edited by DaveG99; 11-10-2008 at 12:39 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Im going to go to the walmart in desoto and take a video and post it here. You will see what I am talking about. Do you people live there? Have you ever been there? Are you blind? Drive from lancaster to Cedar hill on Pleasant run and you will see for yourself.
Wow. I have reached my stopping point with this. I don't like confrontation so believe what you want. If you really choose to do that, don't be surprised if the people want to know why you are following them around with a camera when they are simply minding their own business.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM

Name one Dallas Cowboy that lives in a town in South Dallas. They have lots of money and can live anywhere they want. I wonder why they all move to the northern parts of Dallas? Hmmmmm

I can name many that live in the northern parts of DFW.

Jason Witten Roanoke Virtual Globetrotting: Jason Witten's House
Micheal Irving Plano Virtual Globetrotting: Michael Irvin's House
Deion Sanders Prosper Virtual Globetrotting: Michael Irvin's House
Marcus Spears Southlake Virtual Globetrotting: Marcus Spears' House

Should I post more?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,910,002 times
Quote:
Name one Dallas Cowboy that lives in a town in South Dallas. They have lots of money and can live anywhere they want. I wonder why they all move to the northern parts of Dallas? Hmmmmm

I can name many that live in the northern parts of DFW.

Jason Witten Roanoke Virtual Globetrotting: Jason Witten's House
Micheal Irving Plano Virtual Globetrotting: Michael Irvin's House
Deion Sanders Prosper Virtual Globetrotting: Michael Irvin's House
Marcus Spears Southlake Virtual Globetrotting: Marcus Spears' House

Should I post more?
Um, MANY live in the Park Cities. Same for several of the Stars & Mavericks. A lot of the Cowboys also live in the Irving area. Last time I looked that was not considered a "northern burb" nor is it in Collin County. Oh, and heaven forbid some even live in, GASP, Garland.

Pssst, it is Michael IRVIN. NOT "Irving". Irving is a city to the west of Dallas and home of Texas Stadium, The Dallas Cowboys, etc.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 PM

Name one that lives in Southern Dallas? You cant.

My point is stay NORTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas