Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM

22 posts, read 57,841 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Garland. I will work at VA Medical Center. Tell me what my commute might look like. Please tell me that it could work out. I will have to be to work at 8:00 am. get off around 5:00 pm.

Can anyone tell me about Garland High School?

Last edited by odugrad89; 12-30-2008 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Garland is a big city and covers a large area. It will depend on what area of Garland your in which way you will go and how long it will take. We are talking anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on your location. I'm in the Firewheel area which is probably about as far as one could be in Garland to get over to the VA. I've done the drive in late morning rush hour and it hasn't taken that long about 30 minutes. But the hard part is all of the city streets you have to travel to get over to the highway (LBJ). I usually take 190/Firewheel Pkwy to Centerville down to LBJ and around. You will be going in the opposite direction of MOST of the rush hour traffic so that will be your saving grace.

My oldest will start Garland High next year. She will be doing the IB program. I'm very excited about it. Of all of the high schools in the GISD I'm still tempted to put my youngest there in a few years even though she will not be in the IB program. I know several teachers there already and we have been going to some of their football games off and on for several years. VERY INVOLVED PTA and parents. GHS has the highest number of parental volunteer involvement of ALL of the GISD high schools. What activities will your child be in at school?

Last edited by momof2dfw; 12-31-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
whats an IB program?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
whats an IB program?
International Baccalaureate

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
The commute to the VA is pretty easy driving once you get past the 635-I35 intersection. You would then go 635 to I-20 and exit Lancaster Rd to the VA hospital. There is little traffic going this direction and it would a better drive instead to taking I-30. I live in Mesquite and it takes me 25 minutes to drive to the VA. Depending on what part of Garland you live in it could take from 30-45 minutes. The closer you live to I-30 the better your commute will be.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 AM

Default What will my commute look lie -Garland to VA Medical Center

My son will be in the 10th grade. He's a football player. I read up on the coaching profile and it appears that the program is pretty good.

I am still trying to learn more about the acedemics. My son is a B avg student. He could be an A avg student but he's not organize. (Get's behind on homework sometimes).

I have also considered Wylie, Texas. I heard that there is a DART that goes to Garland.

I am looking in the area of Wynn Joyce Park. Is this in the firewheel?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 AM

Looking at the map Wynn Joyce Park is very close to I30.

Thanks Grainraiser!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The commute to the VA is pretty easy driving once you get past the 635-I35 intersection. .
You would not need to head to I-35 from Garland to get to the VA.

I've taken Centerville to LBJ (aka 635) around to I-20 and made it really easy in no time. Hardly any traffic. I would not recommend I-30 unless one is coming out of Rockwall.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odugrad89 View Post
My son will be in the 10th grade. He's a football player. I read up on the coaching profile and it appears that the program is pretty good.

I am still trying to learn more about the acedemics. My son is a B avg student. He could be an A avg student but he's not organize. (Get's behind on homework sometimes).

I have also considered Wylie, Texas. I heard that there is a DART that goes to Garland.

I am looking in the area of Wynn Joyce Park. Is this in the firewheel?

Yes, the football program is good. I know one of the coaches. This summer there is a sports camp put on by one of the coaches that he would love. Actually anyone can do it including adults. He would be able to meet other kids easy before school started and stay in shape. The football program has a good following of alum and parents. The football program at GHS is one of Homer's "pets" (he is the Athletics Director for the GISD). So top coaches are always going to be there.

Of those that I've talked to that had kids that took AP at GHS and then moved to another high school they have told me the AP classes at GHS were much better. This is over some of the much newer schools in the "better" areas.

If your in the Wynn Joyce area your MUCH CLOSER to the VA than I am up in Firewheel. Firewheel is off of 190 & 78.

I'd do Garland over Wylie. Yes, Wylie has a very good football program but the commute could be BRUTAL!!! Traffic on Hwy 78 is a MAJOR PITA!!!!!! Add 15-30 minutes to the commute just for the Wylie to 190 in Garland part.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You would not need to head to I-35 from Garland to get to the VA.

I've taken Centerville to LBJ (aka 635) around to I-20 and made it really easy in no time. Hardly any traffic. I would not recommend I-30 unless one is coming out of Rockwall.

Oops I meant 635 & I30 not 35. Thanks for the correction. Like you stated taking 635 to 20 would be a easy drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas